RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009

Glo Glove review and being more visible at night

I like to ride at night, so I do everything I can to see better and to be seen better.

I did a review of Glo Gloves and asked a buddy to follow me with a video camera on a night ride to show how they worked. Even if you don't care about Glo Gloves, you can see how well my taillights and Slow Moving Vehicle triangle show up.

I told my wife to hold on to it so she can become a rich widow when some slimeball lawyer says, "My client didn't see him."

Roadie with unshaven legs
    Dec 2005
    Interesting.

I noticed the other night that the Pearl Izumi logos and other screened on logos on my Cyclone gloves were reflective. I know, they aren't as reflective as those Glo Gloves are but they're better than nothing. I just may have to look into a pair of those Glo Gloves.

waterproof*
    I'd submit that with reflective stuff, more surface area is better.

I did some surgery on a reflecto-vest and made "ankle bands" that extend all the way up the back of my calf. Very attention-getting, about 2"x12" of reflecto, on the back of my moving legs.
    * posted by Creakybot 2013 all rights reserved.
    * not actually waterproof.

Carbon Fiber = Explode!
    Cinelli glow bartape works too... and you don't have to wear gloves!
    '09 Voodoo Wazoo
    '08 Pedal Force RS2
    '06 Raleigh Cadent 5.0
    '01 Trek 4300 MTB
    '93 Norco Nitro MTB Touring
    '88 Schwinn Prelude Fixie
    1 hour of running = 1 hour of wasted time when you could have been riding. - Alaska Mike

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by CleavesF
    Cinelli glow bartape works too... and you don't have to wear gloves!
    Yeah, but it's really rough to steer when I hold my bars up in the air to signal a turn.

Fix Altitude in My Tracks
    I have to say I didn't think I'd be on board but it does look pretty good. I wasn't thinking about it for signaling so my first thought was "What's he going to do ? Flap his arms ?" I'm a big fan of ankle bands since they "pump" up and down but those gloves are very interesting indeed since hour hands are really your only way of signaling your intentions. That's it...we need signaling lamps...sure.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterMike
    I have to say I didn't think I'd be on board but it does look pretty good. I wasn't thinking about it for signaling so my first thought was "What's he going to do ? Flap his arms ?" I'm a big fan of ankle bands since they "pump" up and down but those gloves are very interesting indeed since hour hands are really your only way of signaling your intentions. That's it...we need signaling lamps...sure.
    It's funny. I've got a set of ankle bands, but have only worn them when I had on long pants and wanted to keep my pants out of the chain. I'm going to have to rethink those.

It's amazing how just a little reflective material makes a big difference. If you look at the video, there is a small patch of yellow at the back of my helmet. That's the medical data information tag I have hanging from a short chain. You wouldn't think something roughly 1-inch by 2-inches would be that visible.

One thing a lot of folks don't think about is the state of their batteries. I was out before dawn on the weekend and noted how many bike riders had rear flashers that were so dim they were next to useless. The riders must figure those things last forever.

That's one of the reasons I'm a big fan of generator lights. I have light as long as I have legs.

Roadie with unshaven legs
    Dec 2005
    I carry a spare tail light on top of the two that are on the bike. I have one light up front so I have a single point of failure there. I'm working on it, though.

Something that someone else came up with here (Dave Hickey???): put a small flashlight in an unused water bottle. The whole bottle glows. I have been doing that lately and it works quite well for side illumination. It won't signal my intentions but it will get some attention from drivers so it's worthwhile for me to carry it.

I saw somewhere on the Internet that someone had wired in a series of red LEDs into a cycling jacket so that she could signal her intentions while riding her bike at night. Just don't throw it into the laundry without removing it, first.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Squidward
    I carry a spare tail light on top of the two that are on the bike. I have one light up front so I have a single point of failure there. I'm working on it, though.

Something that someone else came up with here (Dave Hickey???): put a small flashlight in an unused water bottle. The whole bottle glows. I have been doing that lately and it works quite well for side illumination. It won't signal my intentions but it will get some attention from drivers so it's worthwhile for me to carry it.

I saw somewhere on the Internet that someone had wired in a series of red LEDs into a cycling jacket so that she could signal her intentions while riding her bike at night. Just don't throw it into the laundry without removing it, first.
    My backup backup headlight is a maglite that mounts onto my handlebar or helmet. You can see the attachment toward the bottom of this post.

I gave my brother a RealLite. (It's the bright flashing light in the video.)

He doesn't mount it on his bike because he doesn't want the weight there all the time, so he puts it in his back jersey pocket. He says it makes his whole back glow.

RoadBikeReview Member
    You can't have too many lights, or too much reflective material. The gloves look like a good idea, but you don't need a specially made glove. I did pretty much the same thing to my winter gloves by adding a lot of SOLAS reflective tape (the stuff the Coast Guard approves for life jackets).

duh...
    the next great 'invention'- reflective and glow-in-the-dark streamers

Quote Originally Posted by mikagsd
    Fat tire Fred....you are the bike god of the universe and unless someone agrees with your reasoning they are just plain stupid