Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Gloves

1K views 21 replies 17 participants last post by  msohio 
#1 ·
I've had 3 or 4 pairs of gloves since last November, and have only put on around 5K miles. :confused: My last pair was Specialized Body Geometry Comps or something like that, and they were nice, but the padding only lasted like 300 miles...

This is really pissing me off :mad:
What gloves do you guys use/How long do they last? I want something that'll last for a while, preferably cheap, but up to $50, if they last a really long time.
-estone2

#3 ·
Argentius said:
What do you mean? Did they wear out from ... uh, wiping the tires, or ... what?

I'm confused. My gloves have lasted 5,000 miles or more, till a crash. It's not a wear component for me.
The padding just... died. Like, the padding gets really really soft. And then it becomes compressed, I guess. But there's no padding in the current pair of gloves I have, or any pairs before them.

#4 ·
My Pearl Izumi Gel Lites lasted about 900 or so miles, the gel was ok but I didn't like the holes in them. Started wearing out quickly on contact areas. After my crash they were toast. Served their purpose though...

Now I'm using some Six Six One gel gloves that I absolutely love. Much more comfortable than the PI's. Also, the velcro strap is on the inside and that seems to be a bit more ergonomic to me for some reason. Only $30.00 or so...

#5 ·
???

i've been wearing a pair of specialized bg gloves for 2 years now (during the spring/summer obviously). have put 10,000+miles into them, the terry cloth is bit faded, but they're still fine.

estone2 said:
I've had 3 or 4 pairs of gloves since last November, and have only put on around 5K miles. :confused: My last pair was Specialized Body Geometry Comps or something like that, and they were nice, but the padding only lasted like 300 miles...

#6 ·
In house stuff

I have been using "Performance or whatever big 3 is on sale at the time" gloves. I am having several different trains of thought when I read your post. What do you hope to have the gloves do for the ride or expectations? Myself, gloves are my last line of protection for my palms in the case of a crash, not to pad my hands from the bar vibration. Most padding in the gloves I use is of a medium weight, it is a cut out of neoprene I believe. I do like the inhouse pittards leather that is offered by the big 3. I usually buy on sale and only if it is a tack on item to an order. I'm not big on having a heavily padded glove. If you want padding, I would suggest go for some of the thicker padded bar tape, it might be cheaper in the long run and give you the padding performance you want.

#7 ·
Just don't...

estone2 said:

What gloves do you guys use/How long do they last? I want something that'll last for a while, preferably cheap, but up to $50, if they last a really long time.
-estone2
Just don't wear any. The skin never goes away. Well, unless you crash and land on your hands, but it'll grow back. I only wear gloves when riding in groups larger than 4 people, or people I don't know. That's it.

#9 ·
I'm on my third and final pair of Specialized gloves--the padding wasn't very durable, but the real problem was that the stitching always started coming apart soon after I got the gloves (yes, they were the right size). One pair also had a thick, hard seam along the inside of the thumb, which made them almost unuseable when riding on the hoods--really brilliant design for a glove specifically made for road cycling.

#10 ·
I don't wear them when it's hot. My PI gloves with almost no padding are on at least their 3rd season. That's over 14K miles.....More comfortable w/out any.

#11 ·
Cycling gloves.

I get my gloves from Walmart. The brand: Bell. The price: $5.99, everyday low price. Durability: still going, purchased in 2003 (and I ride 30 miles on weekdays and 70-100 miles Saturdays)!
estone2 said:

-estone2

#13 ·
To summarize: If the gloves aren't working for you (they should last a good while, no matter what they are), try different ones. Different brfands will wear differently; some will want to mold somewhat to your hands, and the padding will be thinner at contact points in order to even out the pressure somewhat (I had PI's that did that). Some will deform very little (the Lakes I had didn't deform much, and they were my favorites). It all depends on how you ride, where on the bars you ride and all the other little crap that goes on when you ride. You may find, as many others and I have, that padding the bars is more effective than padding your hands. Double layer tape, or thick gel tape is good for that. Keep trying, you'll find something that works for you.

#15 ·
Trek Moby

I've had a pair of Trek Mobys for about 3 years now and they look brand new. I have three different pairs of gloves, LGs that are thin for shorter rides, Serafs for centurys and doubles (they're super thick) and I use the Mobys for everything else which is about 80% of the time, even on the trainer. Yup, I wear gloves on the trainer as well as my hands go numb real easy. I was just looking at them the other night while on the trainer thinking that they were 3 years old and have had about 500 to 600 wearings and should be replaced and then I had a good look at them. The stitching is perfect, the leather isn't worn, the velcro still holds shut and the gel in the palms is still thick. I'll use them through the summer and get another pair next August. They run about $35 a pair, check'em out:
http://bikezonebikes.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=MOBY&Category_Code=300

#17 ·
No. If you have cork tape, your hands shouldn't get too slippery (although I have dry skin).

#18 ·
And that's a bad thing??:eek:

#21 ·
Nike

I'm pretty picky on gloves and have gone through many pair to find the right ones. I hate gel padding as after awhile I find it bulky and irritating. The comments made about a good wrap on the bar is dead on. I found that Nike does a few things really well. I don't know the golve model but it is not padded and the palm has a bit of grippy stuff. My hands are also large and many gloves seem to restrict at the thumb/finger junction, not so on the Nike. I can't give the milage but they seem to be holding up well. I also made a purchase of a Nike shell. VERY well thought out with a zip that is big and easy to grip. Point the zip tab up and just pull at the jacket and it opens, point it down and it locks, Two zipped openings on the back allow you to get to your jersey pockets, high collar that is padded etc. Its good to find products that someone actually put some thought into.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.