RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Gommitalia Calypso K tires?

I have to buy tires, but I have heard and read about Gommitalia tires. I have read good reviews on the Calypso K tires. I have not heard of Gommitalia, nor do I know anyone who has their tires, are they any good? Let me know!!!

Still waiting......
    Feb 2004

Came on my Orbea

Calypso's came on my Orbea when I bought it last year. They were pretty nice, rode well and seemed to corner well. My only complaint would be that they didn't last terribly long. I'm 190 lbs so I go thru tires relatively quickly, but these seemed to be one of the shorter lived tires I've ever tried.

In terms of ride quality they were near the tops of any tire I've ridden.

I'm not a huge tire snob and will normally ride whatever decent tires I can find cheap, so the cost of replacing them was prohibitive and I went with something new when they died.

cruisin

gommitalia tires

From what I've read and heard, they are very good tires and there's a reason for this. After doing some digging researching tires a couple of years ago, and this is web hear-say mind you, some gommitalia tires are actually made by vittoria. However, if they say "made in italy" on them, they were supposedly made by veloflex. I've been riding veloflex pave's the last few years and really like them. They hold up pretty well (I'm not a real big guy, around 170lbs and am reasonably careful as to what I run over). They can be a bear to mount when new (they need to stretch a little), but they do ride very nicely and are pretty light (180-190grams). So, gommitalia "makes" a good tire, some models maybe better than others. My .02 cents, for what it's worth. Good luck.
    trackdays....because golf is for pussies

Marco Esquandolas
    i'll agree to what others have said. i used them last year and though they ride very nice, the tread life is poor...especially on the back tire. the front tire faired a lot better. if i remember, i paid around $50 for both and they came in a nice tin container. would i buy again? sure, and start rotating tires from front to back.

ARP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002

Same experience here...

Quote Originally Posted by gdtrfb24
    i'll agree to what others have said. i used them last year and though they ride very nice, the tread life is poor...especially on the back tire. the front tire faired a lot better. if i remember, i paid around $50 for both and they came in a nice tin container. would i buy again? sure, and start rotating tires from front to back.
    Have close to 1K on them and the rear tire is "squared" off. I normally get 2K out of a set of tires. Have ridden Vittoria, Continental GP3K & Ultra 2K. Currently switched back to Ultra2K's and the 25's are on sale @ Nashbar for $17.99. Foldable. Gommo's have the Kevlar belt down the center, the reason I decided to try them. Ultra's, the last pair I had wore well and I have a hard time justifying $35> for a tire. Why the switch? Gommo's come in pairs only and not in a 25. I may get another pair at some point, I do really like them, supple feel.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2006
    some of them come in a fancy tin.

RoadBikeReview Member
    While I have not used the Gommitalia tires, one of the other members of our team duid try them. I ride Veloflex Pave clinchers and when the tires on my bike were compared to the Gommitalia's from outward appearances they were nearly identical except my tires are all black and the Gommitalia's had a gum sidewall.
    Michael - There may not be an 'I' in team but there is a 'U' in suck!
    __0
    _ \ |_
    (O)/ (O)