Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    8

    Good ride in/near edison nj

    Hey everyone I'm new to Nj and looking for some riding advice. looking for some good 30-50 mile rides. hills would be great and don't mind if I need to ride <10 miles to get to the location.

    I can only ride in the late afternoon or evening even on weekends.

  2. #2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    103
    I'm in Somerset. Edison area is a bit congested but if you come up to Franklin area, there are a lot of good country roads such as Canal Rd that go into Hillsborough all the way out to French town and Lambertville.

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    947
    Quote Originally Posted by sdkwan View Post
    I'm in Somerset. Edison area is a bit congested but if you come up to Franklin area, there are a lot of good country roads such as Canal Rd that go into Hillsborough all the way out to French town and Lambertville.
    That area, and around the Rutgers campus. The Piscataway campus area around the RAC, and through the park along the river is a good place to build some strength. After doing that for a while, I started driving out to Hunterdon County to ride, and shortly after that joined a couple of bike clubs. I really don't recommend riding your bike in the Edison area. I lived there for about 20 years, and there is just too much traffic.

    Study the amazingly helpful njbikemap.com to find the best roads for cycling. Enjoy!

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    8
    thanks I'll look into those places.

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    7
    I am in the Westfield area, and after you get out of the immediate congestion of RT 22, there is some great riding up on the other side of the Watchung Reservation, stretching out into Somerset county out towards Bridgewater and such (on the other side of 78). Probably a bit far of a direct ride for you, but definitely worth checking out if you can manage to get out that way.

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    8
    just looked at a map and I'm going to try to get into the sourland mountain area too. Iooks like it should be hilly

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    947
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerookie View Post
    just looked at a map and I'm going to try to get into the sourland mountain area too. Iooks like it should be hilly
    Sourlands area is great to ride. That's where we moved after leaving Edison. Should be plenty of hills for you for a while. Enjoy!

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: JimP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    933
    I belonged to the CJBC: CJBC Home: Central Jersey Bicycle Club, Inc. when I lived in Metuchen. They had a bunch of great bike riders and had many rides of varying difficulty.
    Jim Purdy - Mansfield, TX

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    69
    +1 for the Sourland area. That's where I live too. Some nice hills and farmland with not very much traffic at all.

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    947
    Quote Originally Posted by JimP View Post
    I belonged to the CJBC: CJBC Home: Central Jersey Bicycle Club, Inc. when I lived in Metuchen. They had a bunch of great bike riders and had many rides of varying difficulty.
    I had a much different take on CJBC. Glad you were happy with your experience.

  11. #11
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: JimP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    933
    Quote Originally Posted by Terex View Post
    I had a much different take on CJBC. Glad you were happy with your experience.
    Well, it was 20 years ago. I lived in Metuchen from 1980-1992 so a lot can change since then.
    Jim Purdy - Mansfield, TX

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

EUROBIKE

Hot Deals

Latest RoadBike Articles


Latest Videos

RoadbikeReview on Facebook