Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013

Good tire for long commutes?

I'll be riding 40 miles and really don't have much of a window to change flats without being late. The more I can do to prevent them, the better. I'm thinking Conti Gatorskins but any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by a.s. View Post
    I'll be riding 40 miles and really don't have much of a window to change flats without being late. The more I can do to prevent them, the better. I'm thinking Conti Gatorskins but any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    you're on the right track... there are other tires out there which have high puncture resistance.
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite upgraded with 32T cassette and does not have Stan's (yet)
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded with 36T cassette and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless. Considering a 1x10 upgrade
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra upgraded to 32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    2008/2009 Burton T6 156cm with Burton Triad Bindings & DC Judge boots

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011

Re: Good tire for long commutes?

Maxxis Refuse are incredibly tough in my experience. Great price too.

Somewhat depends on what size you want.

If you want larger than 25s I would say to look at the Panacer Pasela Tg.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tednugent View Post
    you're on the right track... there are other tires out there which have high puncture resistance.
    Can you name a few?

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Some will argue but I have very good luck with Challange Roubaix tires. They ride great too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    Maxxis Refuse gives me thousands of miles and maybe one flat in the entire life of the tire. That is awesome.
    With people like Peter P. around, I am done posting on this website. Mean people have driven me off after 9 plus years. Good luck newbies beware.

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Roland44 View Post
    Can you name a few?
    I have Continental Grand PRix 4-seasons

Bontrager Race All-weather Hardcase
    Specialized tires with Armadillo protection
    Vittoria Rubino & Zaffiro with Pro-Tech
    Schwalbe Ultremo
    etc
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite upgraded with 32T cassette and does not have Stan's (yet)
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded with 36T cassette and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless. Considering a 1x10 upgrade
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra upgraded to 32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    2008/2009 Burton T6 156cm with Burton Triad Bindings & DC Judge boots

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Hmmm? Maxxis Refuse might be exactly what I'm looking for. The word on the web is that they offer better traction than the Gatorskins too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I second the 4seasons recommendation. Add a layer or two of kevlar anti-puncture tape for added peace of mind.
    check my review page below!

www.roadiemanila.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    I commute on a cross bike and ride Kinda Kross 700x38. They are thick and fast-rolling.
    Scott Addict, Niner Jet 9, Cutter 801 CX
    Facebook, Blog, Amazon Author Page

RoadBikeReview Member

40 mile commuting ride is long enough to need a top performing tire. I use the Conti GP 4-season with excellent results.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007

RoadBikeReview Member
    I like my Schwalbe Marathon Extreme's. Tough as nails.

This guy also likes the Maxxis Re-Fuse.

Get me to In&Out
    I have ridden a few of them, and found the Bontrager Hardcase too firm. I was running a 28mm tire and it felt like I was riding solid rubber tires. Conti 4 seasons is my favorite for commuting. You might get more focused responses to this topic if you put it in the Wheels and Tires forum. Sort of what it is for.
    Cyclists really need to learn a little Rule #5.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'll be riding 40 miles and really don't have much of a window to change flats without being late....

How long does it take you to fix a flat? Working deliberately to swap out the tube, check tire for embedded objects, and inflate with a mini-pump, it takes me around 5 minutes. CO2 might speed that up by a minute.
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    For tough commuting tires I'll go to a low end bike shop and just buy whatever they have hanging on the wall (not folded in a package).
    Alhough I am kind of cheap, that's not the reason. Those cheap tires are the toughest. I've never gotten a flat on my city/commute bike and the streets of Boston are pretty bad.

Although, if my commute was as long as yours I'd probably live with a few flats to smooth out the ride a little. Those tough as nails tires ride like an old army jeep.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    For tough commuting tires I'll go to a low end bike shop and just buy whatever they have hanging on the wall (not folded in a package).
    Alhough I am kind of cheap, that's not the reason. Those cheap tires are the toughest. I've never gotten a flat on my city/commute bike and the streets of Boston are pretty bad.

Although, if my commute was as long as yours I'd probably live with a few flats to smooth out the ride a little. Those tough as nails tires ride like an old army jeep.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    I've ridden several of the bontrager hardcase tires and virtually everyone I know also uses them. I even found a giant staple from a phone pole that went right through the outside rubber clean through to the other side that didn't penetrate the casing and didn't get a flat.

banned
    Put on a tire that is the largest size that will both fit the wheel and fit in the frame of your bike. I went from 23 to 25 tires and my flats went away. I would have gone to a 28 tire but it would not fit the frame for clearance.

Also, get tire liners, they go between the tube and the tire and are easy to install. I never had a puncture flat since using these tire liners. I use the Continental Grand Prix 4000 tires with black chili compound, they are very durable.

Mr. Tuffy Tire Liner | Mr Tuffy | Brand | www.PricePoint.com
    Last edited by Sisophous; 04-03-2013 at 08:47 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    I have been using Conti Gatorskins on my commuter bike for last few years (including commutes to work of 54 miles roundtrip), and I don't believe I've had a flat in ~5,000 miles or so.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012

I have had my best puncture resistance and ride performance from Continental 4 Seasons.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

Re: Good tire for long commutes?

Continental gator skins. I never get flats, and I use to commute 40 miles as well.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by spoke2spoon View Post
    I have been using Conti Gatorskins on my commuter bike for last few years (including commutes to work of 54 miles roundtrip), and I don't believe I've had a flat in ~5,000 miles or so.
    Wonder how you would compare the Conti GP4000 to the Gatorskins? I hear both mentioned a lot but not in a comparison of performance.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm running a Michelin Axial Pro on the front and Michelin Krylion Carbon in back. Commute is 22km each way. No flats so far (2 years).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by looigi View Post
    How long does it take you to fix a flat? Working deliberately to swap out the tube, check tire for embedded objects, and inflate with a mini-pump, it takes me around 5 minutes. CO2 might speed that up by a minute.
    We're all impressed by your tube-changing skills looigi. At 6:30am, battle NYC traffic to get to work for a 10 hour day ...I'd rather forgo the headache.

Seems like some good choices for durability out there. I guess now its a matter of researching which tire offers the best ride. I'm still leaning toward the Refuse as the reviews praise its ride characteristics too. Still open to suggestions.
    Last edited by a.s.; 04-08-2013 at 10:32 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast