RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2016

Cool A Good, Warm Place for Cycling..

Hi, I know this has probably been bantered about forever in different places but maybe there are some fresh ideas on this one..? During the winter months (December - March) Where might a good place be to spend a couple months? I'm open to anything, I'd just like there to be plenty of safe places to ride. I don't want to have to ride tiny shoulders and get brushed by trucks going 70 miles an hour... I was thinking Maui? Southern California? Australia?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by m20j View Post
    Hi, I know this has probably been bantered about forever in different places but maybe there are some fresh ideas on this one..? During the winter months (December - March) Where might a good place be to spend a couple months? I'm open to anything, I'd just like there to be plenty of safe places to ride. I don't want to have to ride tiny shoulders and get brushed by trucks going 70 miles an hour... I was thinking Maui? Southern California? Australia?
    I know people race about Mallorca. Never been but. I would think San Diego would be a good option. On the East Coast, maybe Greensville, SC?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Tenerife,Canary Islands. Beer pint is Euro 1.50 even in the swankiest places. 30 Euro per person buys you a fancy all fish dinner. 10 Euro worth of grocery shopping buys you the top spanish ham available,fresh bread and sodas. Temperatures during those months range between 18 to 22/25 degrees Celsius.
    The climb towards Mount Teide is a lengendary climb among cyclist,something you have to do at least once. I've been there this past february as a family vacation,I'll repeat again next time but this time I'll bring the bike along. Or rent one on the spot,you can rent a lot of fancy brands,it's a huge cycling destination and cyclist are very respected.
    If you can get out of the States do it,I've been travelling to California and Socal in general for the past 15 years but after visiting Tenerife there is no reason for me anymore to endure a 14 hours flight plus the out of control costs California is infamous from.
    Last edited by Devastazione; 05-15-2017 at 05:19 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Not sure where you live?

I travel to the Santa Barbara / Santa Ynez area of California about 3 times each winter for 7 days of riding each time. In addition to warm weather, This area offers good and varied climbing on roads with very few cars (in the winter) and courteous drivers accustomed to a lot of bicycle traffic.
    Quote Originally Posted by m20j View Post

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    The one time I was in central coastal Spain during the winter (mainland, not Majorca) it was perfect. North/South wise I was about where Majorca is but on the mainland.
    However I'm not sure if that perfect weather was typical or if I got lucky.

If you want to go further South to increase the chance of warmth and base yourself in a really nice city to kill two birds with one stone and see a great city while you're at it, Seville would be a great choice. It's Copenhagen/Amsterdam level cycling friendly but doesn't have their crappy winter weather.

Proud luddite
    I live in Tucson and this area is a mecca for winter visitors. Warm temps all winter long with hardly any rain. Vast network of bike lanes all over the place and the massive climb of Mt. Lemmon too, which is considered an HC climb if you're into that sort of thing. You can't beat winter riding in this area.

RoadBikeReview Member
    You were not clear. Are you constrained by finances? do you need to be at least somewhat on the radar? Are we talking about a road trip or a quick plane ride from where you live currently, or is this an epic type trip?

Tenerife, mainland Spain. Stop in Marrakesh on way back for a trippy weekend before heading back home (leave the bike in the bag).
    "That pretty much sums it up. I'm 43 and my max is ~178-180. If that HR chart was mine or Froome's, we'd be on the verge of death. But for you it probably looks like a normal workout." -TLG

LOLOLOL

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    With global warming, it is not bad here in Southern Indiana. There were no snow days last year where they plowed the snow into ice in the bike lanes. It does happen some years. I didn't have to ride the city bus to the store once last winter. Got down to 8 F last winter a couple of nights. I wear clothes, 6 layers sometimes, plus thinsulate gloves are important when the wind is over 25 mph below freezing. I wear a helmet liner sometimes from the welding supply for the ears. No bacalava necessary. Was over 60 a couple weeks in November & February both. Cold doesn't hit now until late October, drags on into early May now (forties).
    You can live in a house for ~$15k/yr, I've done it. If you're not living in section 8 housing, crime is very low. There are lots of people riding bikes now in this neighborhood, so I'm feeling safer than the days past when people used to throw beer & pop bottles at me. You still have to watch traffic, and I wear safety orange or green by contrast with most of the riders wearing black & dark gray.
    There are flat routes, there are hilly routes. I went to a lot of organ concerts and twice to the city symphony on my bike last year. Pull up in front of the hall, chain it to a signpost, walk right in. No valet necessary.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by indianajo View Post
    With global warming, it is not bad here in Southern Indiana. There were no snow days last year where they plowed the snow into ice in the bike lanes. It does happen some years. I didn't have to ride the city bus to the store once last winter. Got down to 8 F last winter a couple of nights. I wear clothes, 6 layers sometimes, plus thinsulate gloves are important when the wind is over 25 mph below freezing. I wear a helmet liner sometimes from the welding supply for the ears. No bacalava necessary. Was over 60 a couple weeks in November & February both. Cold doesn't hit now until late October, drags on into early May now (forties).
    You can live in a house for ~$15k/yr, I've done it. If you're not living in section 8 housing, crime is very low. There are lots of people riding bikes now in this neighborhood, so I'm feeling safer than the days past when people used to throw beer & pop bottles at me. You still have to watch traffic, and I wear safety orange or green by contrast with most of the riders wearing black & dark gray.
    There are flat routes, there are hilly routes. I went to a lot of organ concerts and twice to the city symphony on my bike last year. Pull up in front of the hall, chain it to a signpost, walk right in. No valet necessary.
    I think you might want to expand your horizons as far as a cycling Utopia goes

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2016
    This is some great feedback. I'm in the northeastern united states. I'm looking for a couple months. If it's in the States I'd get a place for the time and go back and fourth once in a while. If I decide on some place further away I'd probably do like 3-4 weeks and just make it a one shot trip.

RoadBikeReview Member
    What ever you do, don't even consider Southern Utah. This place is the worst. Don't believe anybody when they talk about the good weather, rural roads, World Class MTB (if you're wack like that), proximity to Vegas and the National parks.
    It's all smoke and mirrors, it totally blows.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    I live in the pacific northwest (Seattle area).

I tried San Diego last summer, but the weather, at least on the coast, while a bit warmer than Seattle, was overcast and foggy (June Gloom). Riding may be better further inland away from the heavy marine air.

I skipped this year, but next year February, I'm planning on heading to South Australia to catch some of the Tour Down Under and do some riding. I haven't started with the logistics stuff yet, but will soon.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by El Scorcho View Post
    What ever you do, don't even consider Southern Utah. This place is the worst. Don't believe anybody when they talk about the good weather, rural roads, World Class MTB (if you're wack like that), proximity to Vegas and the National parks.
    It's all smoke and mirrors, it totally blows.
    It's on my list too! :P Although probably more of a spring/fall thing. I understand it gets pretty hot there in mid to late summer.

JSR
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    The desert Southwest is awesome in winter. It might be chilly in the early am, but is usually 70 degrees at noon. Elevation can make a big difference, so think Phoenix not Sedona, or Palm Springs not Idyllwild.

These mentions of the Canary Islands are interesting. Does,anyone have more detail as to which towns to stay in?

Australia is a bold idea! But it seems to get pretty hot at Tour Down Under. I've been to the Great Barrier Reef. The diving is great.

i don't know how much difference a mid winter break will make for me. My Saturday ride saw temps' in the 40s and rain. In May ffs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JSR View Post
    These mentions of the Canary Islands are interesting. Does,anyone have more detail as to which towns to stay in?
    I've been both in Gran Canaria and Tenerife,they are 2 separate islands.

Main cities in Tenerife are Puerto de la Cruz and Santa Cruz de Tenerife,they are both north of the island. 90% of popular tourists spots are in the south. We stayed in the Adeje area,from there climbing to mount Teide or cycling the inner land around the small village of Masca is a lot easier. Do consider that the cycling areas aroung Masca have some brutal climbs,I've seen a lot of hardcore german tourist giving it a go and I've turned green with envy.
    Tenerife is a famous party spot for youngs but I would say 60% of people were families with young kids,the remaining splits between retired European folks and young partygoers.

Grand Canaria is beautiful and there is a lot of easier cycling routes,no brutal climbs like Tenerife. Gran Canaria is the capital of the island and it's located norht aswell. Do consider that in this location (north) you may experience coldish days while the south of the island can be summer like hot,weather is crazy here. The Maspalomas area ( south) is a popular spot for retired folks and there's a very strong gay community aswell. Fantastic lodging and dining options,dirty cheap !!!

Whatever you choose you will want to stay away from the main cities. I will pick again Adeje or Los Cristianos in Tenerife next year,while if you will decide for Gran Canaria definitely pick the Maspaloms area. We stayed in a fantastic all bungalows resort with a lot of friendly neighbors that fell in love with our baby,everyday they had toys and candies for him.

JSR
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Great feedback. Thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb View Post
    I live in Tucson and this area is a mecca for winter visitors. Warm temps all winter long with hardly any rain. Vast network of bike lanes all over the place and the massive climb of Mt. Lemmon too, which is considered an HC climb if you're into that sort of thing. You can't beat winter riding in this area.
    Yeah we really like it in Tucson. And real estate so cheeeeeeap, and the wine half the price of where I live! So we bought a winter home there too right at the base of the Mt Lemmon climb. Road riding is pretty good, plenty of pro teams and cycling-snowbirds. Roads are generally cycling-friendly with huge wide paved shoulders and also extensive paved-wide MUT too. Mex food of course. Hiking wow! The mtn biking is the real treat though!

just takes a couple days for our Pacific-NW mole-eyes to get accustomed to the blue skies and sunshine.

Master debator.
    We go to Utah or AZ almost every winter, but that cuts into my fat biking in the snow time
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"