Thread: GoPro???

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012

GoPro???

I saw the cannon gopro camera today in a store and the guy at the store knew no more than I did about it. so I'm wondering if anyone has one and what their thoughts are?

gopro vs something similar?

likes vs dislikes?

cheers!

RoadBikeReview Member
    I don't have one (or any camera for that matter) but just in case no one responds, if you search on that topic using the search function above, you'll see a fair amount of threads comparing it to others.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I got the Gopro w/ the LCD screen so I can take stills while swimming and diving. They're also great on the bike and quite versatile for other uses. The ability to use it underwater was the deal maker for me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've used the GoPro and it works great for capturing videos of things that seem really cool at the time which upon sharing or viewing for the very first time... are actually really boring. But the camera did what it was told.

I used a helmet mount and just shredded some mountain bike trails... and then explained to my wife how we were really going faster than it looked... really. I do think the chest mount works better though for cycling - gives a better feel of the ride for the viewer.

Fecal indicator
    one of our UW cave exploration project member's has one...initial trials with it produced adequate imagery. nothing as spectacularly vivid as their promo ads show. but filming underwater is a bit different than in air. I don't recall seeing any footage he's shot above the surface.

he's recently purchased a wide-angle lens and a new housing depth-rated to 500 feet...unfortunately, that's 100 feet short of some of our planned dives. but, that's the sturdiest one they make.
    eff all y'all...

Loves to suffer
    I have a GoPro HD Hero 960 and a ContourHD. The GoPro has better image quality and better audio, plus it comes with a waterproof case. The Contour's waterproof case is a $45 accessory.

I use the chest strap on road and mtb rides. I like it because you can see the rider's arms and the handlebars. Also, mounting the camera to your body results in much better audio without all the road rattle you get from mounting the camera to the bike.

To get the good quality audio you need to use the provided non-waterproof door.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SRock24 View Post
    I saw the cannon gopro camera today in a store and the guy at the store knew no more than I did about it. so I'm wondering if anyone has one and what their thoughts are?

gopro vs something similar?

likes vs dislikes?

cheers!
    Cannon ??? Gopro is not Cannon.
    GoPro with Founder/Inventor Nick Woodman

And yes... it is the best wearable sports camera you can buy.
    Just got my GOPRO HD Hero2 from Amazon and it's fabulous.