Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Got hit today.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post
    My original Fly6 lasted about a year or so before I had the battery issues.

I sent it back down under and they sent me a replacement.

They switched the brand of battery they were originally using.

That was about two years ago.

Unit gets used about 12 hours a week.

Zero issues and hoping for another couple years of perfect use.
    Mine lasted about 2 years. I contacted them a while back and they only offered a slightly reduced price on a new FLy6. But there are plenty of online tutorials for changing the battery yourself. It uses a standard 18650 cell, which are ubiquitous (all the EV cars and countless other electronics use them, plus used as loose cells in flashlights) and can easily source a much better quality one too. Just best to do with a quality soldering station, not a soldering pencil, to avoid heating up the cell.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtrac View Post
    For Fly6 users, are you able to fit it under a seat bag?

OP, that sucks. I hope you make out OK.
    yes .. but that depends how tall you are. I can easily fit 2 Fly6 under a seat bag. Only downside is it can only be attached to seat post, unless they changed that on newer fly6? Also my old FLy6 had trouble breaking the mount - the oem elastics were too strong and pulled the plastic apart till it broke. So I just use stationery elastics instead.

better yet, ditch the seat bag and get a nice Apidura top tube bag or a Sticky Pod pocket bag - I use both.

I suppose it is time I cut up an inner tube for elastics instead

Last edited by BCSaltchucker; 04-30-2017 at 12:28 PM.

Forever a Student
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    y
    I suppose it is time I cut up an inner tube for elastics instead
    I use forward facing white blinky lights as elastics.

use a torque wrench

dcb
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Cartoscro - best wishes on healing up soon and finding a way to feel good about riding a bike again. I got hit. Fortunately it wasn't too bad and unlike the ahole that hit you the driver who hit me stopped, so I got to ping her insurance for the bills.

I really, REALLY hope they catch whoever did it to you. This is another hit and run that happened near me today: Police searching for driver in crash that killed bicyclist | KSL.com Some people really suck.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    While I am sorry to hear of your accident... I am very happy that you wrote in a post. I also had an accident and I didnt get back on a bike for 12+ months. But, now I got a bike and while it looks "bright AF" (RadioActive Orange, with RadioActive Yellow Highlights) but the one thing is that "I can be seen!"

I also appreciate your post because it reminds me of making sure that I talk to my insurance and get uninsured motorist property damage in my policy and Im going to go out of my way to get a rear and front camera! Yes, its an annoying thing to have another device on the bike to turn off/on but if I had the camera in the first time I had an accident... I felt that I could have caught his plate numbers instead of just freaking out about some a-hole who thought I was a nuisance to him.

We are all fathers, family members, and partners to our spouses and while I may be taking the "if chit happens too far" approach... then I will at least leave my kids with something for their futures!

I wish you godspeed in your recovery and while its easy to say... get back out there... it took me a year+ to even think about buying another bike again!

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    All this talk about lawyering up and pain and suffering compensation overlooks one very important fact: the motorist has to be caught.

OP: have the local police given any indication that they have any leads on this?
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

a real member's member
    the attempted murder can continue to tear at you a little bit every day and night for quite a while if you let it. don't.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bradkay View Post
    All this talk about lawyering up and pain and suffering compensation overlooks one very important fact: the motorist has to be caught.

OP: have the local police given any indication that they have any leads on this?
    Finding the culprit will certainly help, but the victims auto insurance will cover some of these things.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cartoscro View Post
    Yeah, I'm planning to call insurance in the morning. At this point, I'm not sure if I want to ride on the road anymore. Maybe because it's a fresh incident, and it's got me rattled. People in my state do not give two chits about road cyclists. (Alabama)
    Dave Moulton's Blog - Dave Moulton's Bike Blog
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012

There is not much to go on since there were no witnesses besides myself. The only thing I could give them was it was a white car traveling south...and possibly an older model grand prix. What should I do in this case?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Glad you were not killed, hope a speedy recovery both physically and mentally. Riding on the rode is getting just to dangerous to many cars, to many distractions and nobody wants to yield to anybody. Where I live I have to ride on the main road which leaves me traveling on the white line near the curb. I have noticed recently cars are riding closer and closer as they pass by not even moving over and when they pass they squeeze over right to the curb as if giving me a hint get off the road. They when you come to a red light that same car is pulled over right to the curb its like where am I suppose to go, to me this is my lane. I take this very personal so what I do is I ride defensively I usually pull around this car an squeeze in front and ride in the middle of the road when light changes so this inconsiderate person has no chance of squeezing me into the curb. For me I ride very defensively if people are driving with a lack of respect for my riding lane I will usually pull right into the middle of the road to block them from passing me. Goes over well with the rider, ha! In the back of my mind I'm thinking this jerk will probably tap my back tire so I dump. You can do your best but ultimately you can not control everything especially in your case where you were hit from behind. I was run over once from a driver who took a right had turn right into me and left me in the road, he just drove away and I know he saw me. I pulled up on the side of him say a turn coming so I usually back off or at least pull a bike length in front of car so they see me if they are going to turn, nobody uses turn signals any more. In this case a pulled a good bike length ahead look over at driver he them decided to speed up and bang a right hand turn right into me at which point I was bouncing off the side of the car before I hit the deck luckily I did not go under the car. Personally I feel if a motorist hits a cyclist and leaves the scene there should be heavy fines and penalties including jail time, loss of license, etc, Sometimes I say it is really not worth the risk but my love of cycling is greater than the fear. Safe riding everyone!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gofast2wheeler View Post
    Glad you were not killed, hope a speedy recovery both physically and mentally. Riding on the rode is getting just to dangerous to many cars, to many distractions and nobody wants to yield to anybody. Where I live I have to ride on the main road which leaves me traveling on the white line near the curb. I have noticed recently cars are riding closer and closer as they pass by not even moving over and when they pass they squeeze over right to the curb as if giving me a hint get off the road. They when you come to a red light that same car is pulled over right to the curb its like where am I suppose to go, to me this is my lane. I take this very personal so what I do is I ride defensively I usually pull around this car an squeeze in front and ride in the middle of the road when light changes so this inconsiderate person has no chance of squeezing me into the curb. For me I ride very defensively if people are driving with a lack of respect for my riding lane I will usually pull right into the middle of the road to block them from passing me. Goes over well with the rider, ha! In the back of my mind I'm thinking this jerk will probably tap my back tire so I dump. You can do your best but ultimately you can not control everything especially in your case where you were hit from behind. I was run over once from a driver who took a right had turn right into me and left me in the road, he just drove away and I know he saw me. I pulled up on the side of him say a turn coming so I usually back off or at least pull a bike length in front of car so they see me if they are going to turn, nobody uses turn signals any more. In this case a pulled a good bike length ahead look over at driver he them decided to speed up and bang a right hand turn right into me at which point I was bouncing off the side of the car before I hit the deck luckily I did not go under the car. Personally I feel if a motorist hits a cyclist and leaves the scene there should be heavy fines and penalties including jail time, loss of license, etc, Sometimes I say it is really not worth the risk but my love of cycling is greater than the fear. Safe riding everyone!
    Riding on the "white line near the curb" is. IMHO, probably the worst place to ride. I ride the right tire track of the automotive traffic, that is not only swept clean by the traffic, but also gives me some wiggle room if someone decides to crowd me.

And at a red light, why would you even consider "when you come to a red light that same car is pulled over right to the curb its like where am I suppose to go", you stop behind the auto and wait for the light to change, just like the rest of traffic.
    Too old to ride plastic

Fecal indicator
    completely untrue.
    the 45th POTUS is inept, corrupt, and a pathological liar. and those may be his better qualities...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Riding on the "white line near the curb" is. IMHO, probably the worst place to ride. I ride the right tire track of the automotive traffic, that is not only swept clean by the traffic, but also gives me some wiggle room if someone decides to crowd me.
    I don't want this thread to turn into a 'best riding practices' thread. But I will say this. I was hit in a long straight away in 12 o'clock sun. I have the brightest light money can buy, designed by a local electrical engineer. The person that hit was too drunk to recognize his/her surroundings, had their eyes looking down at their phone, or it was an intentional attempted murder. I have ALWAYS ridden as far right as possible to the white line. As far as I can gather from damage to bike and myself, I was only grazed by the car.

Of the three scenarios I mentioned, riding in the right tire track would have made it a direct hit, likely putting me into the windshield, and likely causing much more damage to me.

Like I said, I don't want to turn this into a thread of best riding practices. But riding in the right tire track is ONLY better when a driver is actually looking ahead.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Like I said, I don't want to turn this into a thread of best riding practices. But riding in the right tire track is ONLY better when a driver is actually looking ahead.
    Being anywhere on the road is only better when the driver is actually looking ahead.
    Too old to ride plastic

Fecal indicator
    Being anywhere on the road is only better when the driver is actually looking ahead.
    yeah...my hit/run occurred on a lightly-traveled road with a 12-ft wide dedicated bike lane in perfect daylight driving conditions.

if they're not looking, doesn't matter where you are...
    the 45th POTUS is inept, corrupt, and a pathological liar. and those may be his better qualities...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gofast2wheeler View Post
    buy a paragraph, Faulkner ;)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    If you are in a no fault state call your auto insurance agent. No fault laws vary so much it's almost impossible to tell you what to expect

If you are in a comparative or contributory state call your auto insurance agent to open a claim under the uninsured motorists coverage. You don't have to be able to identify the responsible driver. You have to show that an accident occurred (contact with another vehicle) and that your injuries were caused by their negligence

On your point about riding on the edge of the road instead of the right tire track, you are putting yourself at risk. Riding that close to the curb encourages motorists to pass while remaining completely within the same lane. This leads to more sideswipe accidents like yours. Riding in the right tire track sends the message that they need to move over.

When I was working I used to read articles in the trade press. (Insurance). One study concluded that drivers pay most attention to obstacles directly in their line of travel. Obstacles to the side get overlooked. The more distracted the driver the greater the blinder effect.

Shut up legs
    Nov 2013
    Yeah, I'm planning to call insurance in the morning. At this point, I'm not sure if I want to ride on the road anymore. Maybe because it's a fresh incident, and it's got me rattled. People in my state do not give two chits about road cyclists. (Alabama)
    Completely understandable. After my accident three weeks ago I started getting some anxiety being back on the road and I had two cars almost hit me because of not paying attention. Definitely get yourself two cameras (front and back) and just be extra cautious. Sorry to hear about the accident and I really hope everything works out and you get better.
    '14 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5 105
    '15 Giant Defy 5 (commuter)

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    What scares the crap out of me are all the people I see who are either holding a phone up to their head talking, or texting.

Even though it's illegal in my town, and there a numerous signs posted to remind drivers, I see it all the time... especially, it seems, high-school age girls actively texting with one hand while steering the car (or giant SUV FFS!) with the other hand.

It's gotten to the point where on one particularly bad stretch of road I'll actually stop and wait for all traffic behind me to pass before I continue on. I have an annoyingly bright blinky taillight, and I turn my head every few seconds to see what's behind me. But like you said, if the driver isn't actually driving, they're going to plow into me whether I see them coming or not.

PS to OP: You experienced what so many of us fear. I hope you recover physically and mentally as soon as possible.

Fecal indicator
    just a follow-up to my situation...

on friday, my atty notified me that my auto ins carrier responded to his demand for a settlement on medical expenses related to the hit/run incident.

they agreed to pay the full policy limit on uninsured motorist damages.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    What scares the crap out of me are all the people I see who are either holding a phone up to their head talking, or texting.

Even though it's illegal in my town, and there a numerous signs posted to remind drivers, I see it all the time... especially, it seems, high-school age girls actively texting with one hand while steering the car (or giant SUV FFS!) with the other hand.
    If you can help it, pick the time slot when those people are not out driving. Around where I am, they come out in droves when it's warm and sunny outside, especially in the afternoon. In such condition, early morning is a better choice.

So. Calif.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtrac View Post
    For Fly6 users, are you able to fit it under a seat bag?
    Depends how much exposed seat post you have.
    I have 20 cm between top of clamp collar and saddle rails, a fairly bulky seat bag, and the Fly 6 has an unobstructed view.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks. I don't understand why they insist it be mounted vertically.
    It's Mueller Time

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post

Even though it's illegal in my town, and there a numerous signs posted to remind drivers, I see it all the time...
    The thing is, most of these texting knuckleheads aren't going to see those signs while their heads are buried in their phones.
    Too old to ride plastic

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast