Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 51

Thread: Got hit today.

  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    268

    Got hit today.

    Got hit from behind today. First time since I've been riding for 5 years. Driver of the car never checked up, never hit the brakes. Nothing I could really do but watch from the ditch I was laying in, as they drove over the rise in the road.

    Dialed 911 because I really didn't know how serious I was. Sheriff arrived and advised me to take the ambulance to hospital. He said in case they are able to track down who did it, a trip to the hospital would kind of add to the seriousness of the accident. I was reluctant, as I didn't want to deal with the huge bill I know I have coming my way...but oh well.

    Turns out no broken bones, only some rash down my right side from being knocked into the gravel ditch. It must have been just a graze from the car, since it through me to the side.

    Kit is toast, back wheel is pretzled, not sure about the rest of the bike. Haven't had the chance to look it over. I'm guessing the back wheel caught the right side of the front bumper, and maybe I caught the side of the car or maybe the rear view mirror. It all happened so fast. Definitely has me rattled mentally.
    Last edited by Cartoscro; 04-29-2017 at 03:57 PM.

  2. #2
    Fecal indicator
    Reputation: Oxtox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    9,405
    you have my sympathies....that's exactly how my last incident occurred...hit from behind in a dedicated bike lane, driver left the scene. sustained a separated shoulder, broken thumb, concussion, road rash...

    driver was never identified, filed a claim with my auto ins under the uninsured motorist clause.

    8 months later, still dealing with orthopedic surgeons, physical therapists, and a chiropractor.

    took a long time to feel comfortable on the bike after I resumed riding...felt like every person on the road was trying to kill me. altho most of the anxiety has passed...still doesn't mean that there's not a segment of the driving public that will take a rider out and not give a crap about the consequences...
    the 45th POTUS is inept, corrupt, and a pathological liar. and those may be his better qualities...

  3. #3
    Road Warrior
    Reputation: n2deep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    477
    Wow,, Glad your not seriously injured!!!! It would scare the **** out of most of us!!!

    Best Wishes for a full recovery!!! N2deep!!

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: burgrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,789
    I'm glad you are ok. I can't believe someone would hit a cyclist and just drive away. People suck. I hope karma f's that guy up.

    When I hear about incidents like this, I think about getting one of those Fly6 cameras. Would be nice to be able to identify the car/driver and pursue recourse.

    Be safe out there!

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: upstateSC-rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,476
    Glad you guys are ok.
    There have been many questionable passes by cars overtaking our group as we leave and re-enter city limits, seems to be worse this year but maybe drivers are re-adjusting to seeing bikes again as the weather warms.
    Of course the cynic in me says, "Or maybe because many drivers don't give a crap."
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,434
    This stuff enrages me. I completely don't understand how someone could just drive away from something like this.

    To quote Chris Boardman.

    "THAT'S A HUMAN BEING!"

    Jeebus.

    Glad you are relatively ok.

    I was hit broadside while riding on a MUT by someone who looked right at me, but apparently didn't see me. Fortunately she hung around.

    The physical injuries have healed about as much as they are going to, but I have a far lower confidence level riding among cars now. I don't really consciously thing about it, but I find myself riding in places where cars can't go. Gravel trails and fire/forest roads, MUT's, etc. Sometimes when I'm riding along the shoulder of a road and I hear a car coming, it brings on a little bit of panic, and I find myself pulling over to get gather myself.

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,153
    heal quickly....both physically and mentally.
    To those in uniform, both present and past, who have protected my freedoms, I thank you. I've had a good life so far.

    My radio control aircraft addiction is fed by: theprofilebrotherhood.com

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    83
    That ****s. My sympathy.
    Could happen to any of us any time, on road. I pay more county & state taxes than most of the idiots screaming epithets out the window at me, to estimate from their *****ed out 1986 Pickup.
    I bought one of these cameras to give my heirs some legal recourse against rear enders: Portable HD 4k 30fps Waterproof Action Sports Cam with WiFi | 82-22070 (8222070) | Distributed By MCM
    but haven't figured out how to mount it to the helmet. there is a clip, but no mate. Permanent mount is nogo, I run a lot of errands and things get stolen off my bike. Not the helmet yet, but a bright green reflective stripe T-shirt last month. Leaving the camera on the bike handle on the helmet would be stupid.
    Best of luck in the future.

  9. #9
    Devoid of all flim-flam
    Reputation: Mapei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    6,878
    Best of fortune to you.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: BCSaltchucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,359
    Quote Originally Posted by indianajo View Post
    That ****s. My sympathy.
    Could happen to any of us any time, on road. I pay more county & state taxes than most of the idiots screaming epithets out the window at me, to estimate from their *****ed out 1986 Pickup.
    I bought one of these cameras to give my heirs some legal recourse against rear enders: Portable HD 4k 30fps Waterproof Action Sports Cam with WiFi | 82-22070 (8222070) | Distributed By MCM
    but haven't figured out how to mount it to the helmet. there is a clip, but no mate. Permanent mount is nogo, I run a lot of errands and things get stolen off my bike. Not the helmet yet, but a bright green reflective stripe T-shirt last month. Leaving the camera on the bike handle on the helmet would be stupid.
    Best of luck in the future.
    I recently revived my old FLy6 rear light/camera. (needed a new battery soldered into it) It automatically protects the rear facing video recording if it senses a crash. But yeah, would need to remove it if using the bike for errands I guess. It mounts with elastics, so about 5 second removal/install. Less fuss than an action camera, however it is still one more annoyng thing to attend to for riding, with all the charging and remembering to turn it on and off.


  11. #11
    I love to climb!
    Reputation: Jwiffle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,890
    Quote Originally Posted by Cartoscro View Post
    Got hit from behind today. First time since I've been riding for 5 years. Driver of the car never checked up, never hit the brakes. Nothing I could really do but watch from the ditch I was laying in, as they drove over the rise in the road.

    Dialed 911 because I really didn't know how serious I was. Sheriff arrived and advised me to take the ambulance to hospital. He said in case they are able to track down who did it, a trip to the hospital would kind of add to the seriousness of the accident. I was reluctant, as I didn't want to deal with the huge bill I know I have coming my way...but oh well.

    Turns out no broken bones, only some rash down my right side from being knocked into the gravel ditch. It must have been just a graze from the car, since it through me to the side.

    Kit is toast, back wheel is pretzled, not sure about the rest of the bike. Haven't had the chance to look it over. I'm guessing the back wheel caught the right side of the front bumper, and maybe I caught the side of the car or maybe the rear view mirror. It all happened so fast. Definitely has me rattled mentally.
    Glad you aren't hurt any worse. Heal up quick. I hope they catch the guy and you can compensated for your bike and medical bills.
    Stop in at Element Sports. www.elementsport.com
    Get Out! Have Fun!

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: No Time Toulouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    807
    Quote Originally Posted by Cartoscro View Post
    Got hit from behind today. First time since I've been riding for 5 years. Driver of the car never checked up, never hit the brakes. ..
    Sounds like you got "taken down". We really should start using the correct term for events like these; "vehicular assault".
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    255
    Curious-how much used did you get out of it before having to replace the battery?

    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    I recently revived my old FLy6 rear light/camera. (needed a new battery soldered into it) It automatically protects the rear facing video recording if it senses a crash. But yeah, would need to remove it if using the bike for errands I guess. It mounts with elastics, so about 5 second removal/install. Less fuss than an action camera, however it is still one more annoyng thing to attend to for riding, with all the charging and remembering to turn it on and off.


  14. #14
    Fecal indicator
    Reputation: Oxtox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    9,405
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwiffle View Post
    Glad you aren't hurt any worse. Heal up quick. I hope they catch the guy and you can compensated for your bike and medical bills.
    it's highly unlikely the driver will be found. I had two witnesses to my accident and the police came up empty based on just a description of the car.

    the uninsured motorist clause on my auto in policy covered me for up to $52K in medical costs. hit the limit fairly easily too, the overnite stay at the ER was $21K. you can also receive money for P / S as well under this provision if your medical costs don't exceed the limit.

    there was no provision for property damages tho.
    the 45th POTUS is inept, corrupt, and a pathological liar. and those may be his better qualities...

  15. #15
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    268
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    it's highly unlikely the driver will be found. I had two witnesses to my accident and the police came up empty based on just a description of the car.

    the uninsured motorist clause on my auto in policy covered me for up to $52K in medical costs. hit the limit fairly easily too, the overnite stay at the ER was $21K. you can also receive money for P / S as well under this provision if your medical costs don't exceed the limit.

    there was no provision for property damages tho.
    That is good to hear. Thanks everyone for the well wishes.

  16. #16
    Forever a Student
    Reputation: MMsRepBike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    4,612
    Quote Originally Posted by FasterStronger View Post
    Curious-how much used did you get out of it before having to replace the battery?
    My original Fly6 lasted about a year or so before I had the battery issues.

    I sent it back down under and they sent me a replacement.

    They switched the brand of battery they were originally using.

    That was about two years ago.

    Unit gets used about 12 hours a week.

    Zero issues and hoping for another couple years of perfect use.
    use a torque wrench

  17. #17
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: mtrac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    811
    For Fly6 users, are you able to fit it under a seat bag?

    OP, that sucks. I hope you make out OK.
    It's Mueller Time

  18. #18
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    268
    Was able to look over the bike today. Wheel taco'd, and the carbon dropout crumbled to pieces when I removed the wheel. I'm not sure if a carbon dropout can be fixed or not, I doubt it. Other than that, everything else seems to be OK.

    My coccyx (sp?) must have taken the hit from the car. Either the front pillar or the side mirror. That's where I have the most pain at the moment.

  19. #19
    Forever a Student
    Reputation: MMsRepBike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    4,612
    I would send the frame and fork to Spyder Composites or Calfee to be x-rayed or ultrasounded or whatnot if you're intent on keeping it. Dropouts can be replaced, it's not an easy thing to do though. There could be other areas that you can't see like the steerer tube that need examining too just in case.

    Does your own auto insurance cover any of this sort of thing? You did get hit by a car on the road. I'd be looking to get a new bike personally.
    use a torque wrench

  20. #20
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    268
    Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post
    I would send the frame and fork to Spyder Composites or Calfee to be x-rayed or ultrasounded or whatnot if you're intent on keeping it. Dropouts can be replaced, it's not an easy thing to do though. There could be other areas that you can't see like the steerer tube that need examining too just in case.

    Does your own auto insurance cover any of this sort of thing? You did get hit by a car on the road. I'd be looking to get a new bike personally.
    Yeah, I'm planning to call insurance in the morning. At this point, I'm not sure if I want to ride on the road anymore. Maybe because it's a fresh incident, and it's got me rattled. People in my state do not give two chits about road cyclists. (Alabama)

  21. #21
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    268
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    you can also receive money for P / S as well under this provision if your medical costs don't exceed the limit.

    there was no provision for property damages tho.
    Not sure I know what you mean when you say P/S.

  22. #22
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: majbuzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    526
    I'm assuming pain and suffering

  23. #23
    Pooped a refrigerator.
    Reputation: SauronHimself's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    6,658
    Quote Originally Posted by majbuzz View Post
    I'm assuming pain and suffering
    That can't be automatically assumed because it varies by state law. I don't know what AL's threshold is, but in NY where I live pain and suffering are unlikely to be awarded if your injuries don't meet the legal criteria of "serious". NY defines serious injuries as broken bones, dismemberment, permanent disfigurement, death, paralysis, or anything that permanently hinders your range of motion. When a drunk driver hit me I didn't break any bones, but I did get permanent scarring on my left knee and right hand, so I was right on the line legally speaking. Ultimately, I did get a [paltry] pain and suffering settlement, but I probably wouldn't have without a lawyer. Having video footage from my camera definitely helped, because if it went to trial, it would've been easy to pull the heart strings of a jury showing them a first person POV of the crash. That combined with the fact the driver was drunk equated to a slam dunk case.

    OP, consult a personal injury attorney (they usually give the first visit free) to weigh your options. See your primary care physician as soon as you can for a full checkup, and see them again a few weeks later for a follow-up. If you have recurring flashbacks of the incident (I did when it happened to me), go see a mental health professional immediately. It will help you progress in your healing, and ultimately you can't let the motorists win by avoiding the road.
    Ghurarmu shirkush’ agh azgushu. Zant ya apakurizak. Gűl-n’ anakhizak.

  24. #24
    Forever a Student
    Reputation: MMsRepBike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    4,612
    Quote Originally Posted by Cartoscro View Post
    Yeah, I'm planning to call insurance in the morning. At this point, I'm not sure if I want to ride on the road anymore. Maybe because it's a fresh incident, and it's got me rattled. People in my state do not give two chits about road cyclists. (Alabama)
    Totally understand. It's why I take the radical approach that I do when I'm out there. It's all about being seeing first and then making sure to communicate and be of as little disturbance as possible to the drivers of the death machines. Never know what's behind that wheel.
    use a torque wrench

  25. #25
    Fecal indicator
    Reputation: Oxtox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    9,405
    Quote Originally Posted by Cartoscro View Post
    Not sure I know what you mean when you say P/S.
    pain /suffering.

    in TX, you are allowed to pursue P/S monetary awards based on the total amount of medically-related expenses. it's typically 2-3X that figure, but can be more if severe injuries are involved.

    my best advice is to consult an atty that specializes in bicycling accident claims. they'll take approx 1/3 of whatever money you're awarded, but I think their assistance is worth it. for example, without my atty's input, I'd have never known about filing under the uninsured motorist part of my auto policy for a hit/run incident and would be facing some serious medical bills.

    see your PCP for a physical exam. keep meticulous records of everything related to the accident.

    good luck.
    the 45th POTUS is inept, corrupt, and a pathological liar. and those may be his better qualities...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 39
    Last Post: 12-16-2015, 03:46 PM
  2. Is it too hot today or is it just me?
    By Crab Balls in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 06-03-2013, 03:55 PM
  3. Look Keo 2 Max will be here today
    By takl23 in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-09-2011, 10:44 AM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-17-2010, 11:01 AM
  5. NNC today
    By Bocephus Jones II in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-18-2007, 08:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •