Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammer

Got smoked on a climb today !

Hey I know I'm old and carrying a few more pounds then I should. But dang this guy smoked me on one of the many rollers I did today. It was like I was standing still, I'm thinking he had a hidden motor on that bike.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAZNzjxo1tY

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    sorry

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2015
    Sarcasm detected or was that highway with semis flying by really your favorite climb?

Hammer
    Quote Originally Posted by ceugene View Post
    Sarcasm detected or was that highway with semis flying by really your favorite climb?
    It's just one of many hills on a regular route I do, and for some reason I like this little bugger. I wasn't on a highway it's just a regular road that goes over a highway. Shot that truck wasn't going that fast, if I go on rte. 140 where I live I'll have trucks and cars buzzing by at 70 mph.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    that other rider didn't look like a cyclist, he looked like a commuter. he might as well have been on a moped, looked like an e-bike to me but i only looked at it quickly and his helmet wasn't a bike helmet.

Hammer
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek_5200 View Post
    that other rider didn't look like a cyclist, he looked like a commuter. he might as well have been on a moped, looked like an e-bike to me but i only looked at it quickly and his helmet wasn't a bike helmet.
    It was a cruiser style bike, no dough he was more of a commuter.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zipp2001 View Post
    Hey I know I'm old and carrying a few more pounds then I should. But dang this guy smoked me on one of the many rollers I did today. It was like I was standing still, I'm thinking he had a hidden motor on that bike.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAZNzjxo1tY
    You can't pedal fast and put out some aerobic power, not to mention favorable strength to weight ratio, climbing with all that girth, my man. Trim down within range of healthy body weight, and it'll be a whole new ball game. You'll notice a difference with each couple of pounds dropped. You'll climb like Marco Pantani!

Looks like you got everything in place and working pretty well, though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2017
    I am seeing more ( as they blow by me ) E bikes on my commute every week

I feel like people on E bikes should have to wear a different color jersey to call out the point they are not on a "Real" bike.... lol

Either that, or I am going to put a sign on mine stating that I am on a "leg powered" machine.

Hammer
    Either that, or I am going to put a sign on mine stating that I am on a "leg powered" machine.[/QUOTE]

If I wanted a motor on my bike I'd go back to a riding a motor cycle. I much prefer my two cylinder motor.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    the dude wasn't even pedaling. and i think he flipped you off

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed_Metal View Post
    the dude wasn't even pedaling. and i think he flipped you off
    Sad.

Don't most of those electric bikes have a 25 mph speed limit? You're on a sub 17 pound race bike exquisitely tuned for instant response. They're sitting upright on 45 pound hybrids. All you have to do is sprint past 'em at 30 mph and drop them like a brick. That'll show 'em who's boss.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    No matter how strong,fit and trained you are there will always be somebody that will smoke you out on your favorite climb. And guess what he'll look older, fatter and more out of shape than you...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Devastazione View Post
    No matter how strong,fit and trained you are there will always be somebody that will smoke you out on your favorite climb. And guess what he'll look older, fatter and more out of shape than you...
    An older and fatter guy did that to me four days ago on the MUT. I went, "Whoa, dude!" But let 'em go with no regrets. They'll run out of gas way before I do.

Then again, sitting on the bike and working the pedals is better than watching TV, gotta give 'em that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    An older and fatter guy did that to me four days ago on the MUT. I went, "Whoa, dude!" But let 'em go with no regrets. They'll run out of gas way before I do.
    It happened to me today on a MUT. But he is younger and he did run out of gas later, as I caught up to him and passed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bvber View Post
    It happened to me today on a MUT. But he is younger and he did run out of gas later, as I caught up to him and passed.
    Did you throw him the extra Powerbar as you passed?

This is then the time to lay it on right below AT and motor 2 or 3 minutes at a steady pace, about 2 or 3 mph faster than he is now willing to go. If he's not there when you look back, you know he was a pretender.

A youthful rider will get you extra points!
    Last edited by Fredrico; 1 Week Ago at 09:24 PM.

Road Warrior
    Just click bait,, nothing to see here move along folks!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2016
    It seems the two most popular threads in this section are all about people getting “passed” while no one is racing.

A lot of the advice is about how to “win” a race against someone who is not racing.

Plainly, I don’t belong on this forum; I ride for fun and exercise.

People feel insecure when passed by E-bikes? Wow. It must be crushing when cars pass at 60 mph!

People “race” anyone who passes them—and feel superior if they “win”?

All this is so .... interesting.

I am a big, fat, slow rider in late middle age, with a bad heart and asthma ... and I am lazy.

I like to attack some of the small inclines around here (way too small to be called “hills” ... I live in Flatahoma.) I often hit the bottom too hard and slow down just before the crest .... and almost always need to catch my breath after cresting.

So ... If I were to overtake some of these posters at the base of the hill, they would be deeply offended, and then would post here after the ride ridiculing me because they beat me up the climb, or overtook me just over the crest? Cool. If someone has such a serious set of delusions and is so insecure that That is what they need to feel good, they can have it. Doesn’t hurt me.

I don’t rise “against” anybody ... only time I have is when I either signed up for an actual race or agreed in advance with a fellow rider to compete. Otherwise ... I could not care less who passes me, who is faster, who is slower ....

When I pass someone (well, it Could happen) it might be someone who rode 500 miles already that week, and is doing a recovery ride .... someone starting a double century and saving energy, or finishing a double century and just easing along home.

It could be someone on a rigid training schedule, staying is certain heart-rate zones for specific intervals. it could be someone who has even worse health issues than myself.

Or ... it could be someone Exactly like me, rating each ride in smiles-per-mile, going fast or slow exactly as the mood hits, riding Not to prop up a fragile ego or to compensate for increasing age or a lack of serious training ...

Someone who after the ride remembers seeing the color of the sky as the sun set as I rode passed a certain pond, who feels a little pride if I managed to make it all the way up a specific climb without a rest, but is just as happy if I didn’t ... someone who cannot even remember the last time I passed a rider going my way... but do remember passing a lot of riders going the other way (hardly any riders around here it seems, and I am always interested to see some.)

I realize I have my own ego problems. For example ... I am here preaching “Ride your own ride, live your own life” but at the same time I am judging some of the posters here. Mea culpa.

My “judgment” such as it is ... is that it is really pathetic to feel increased self-worth by winning a competition against people who don’t know they are competing. Sorry ... I wish I was a bigger person (in character, not bulk) but there it is. I am only as good as I am.

Further ... if someone Does overtake me (on a bicycle) I will sometimes try to keep up ... just as a test of myself, and to have a little fun extending myself a little further than I otherwise might. I find it comical to think that some folks see that as “throwing down the gauntlet.”

If I overtake a rider, it is simply because At That Instant I wanted to ride faster than that person .... Maybe I wanted to attack a hill (and fail, but I don’t care) or maybe I wanted to try to hit a certain distance in say, a specific length of time, and I wanted to push for the last 45 seconds to get past some imaginary milestone.

I admit, I am as competitive as anyone else. I like overtaking riders, even if I know they are casual riders coming home from the store on Walmart MTBs with three bags of groceries hanging off each side of the bars. Thing is, when I am being that pathetic, I at least know it.

Poster in the other thread rides an MTB, so if he “wins” a race that only he knows about he can say “Smoked you on an MTB, you roadie poseur!” and if he loses can say, “Well, I am handicapped by this tank of an MTB, or I would have smoked you!” That whole bit belongs in the “Off Topic: Jokes and Humor” thread.

I will give a Big thanks to the OP in this thread, though. I really enjoyed your video. I like seeing the roads where others ride, and the GoPro point of view gives a good sensation of speed. I only watched about five minutes of the seven posted, so I didn’t see the guy on the E-bike ... but I don’t care about that anyway.

I really enjoyed the video. I’d hope some other folk might post “roads I ride” sort of footage from time to time. I always enjoy it. I’d do my share but I don’t have a GoPro and really don’t want one for any other reason, so .....

Anyway, the OP seems to be just a guy who rides a bike, who enjoys it a lot, and doesn’t care about being the MUP champion. Sorry to dump this rant into his thread ... but once I get ranting I get all out of control .... I become the King Kong of the Response box .... which is Much more pathetic than being MUP Champion.

And anyway .... if a rider has to engage in imaginary races with others in order to enjoy cycling ... Great! have at it. Why not? No one is hurt, no harm is done, and it is just another way to have fun on a bicycle, I guess.

And at root, that is what All this is about, or was at one time ... each of us swung a leg over a bike, spun the pedals, and liked the sensation. We all hatched from the same sort of egg.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Devastazione View Post
    I got "smoked" once on the MUT by some 'granny' on a cruiser bike. When I saw her later, I noticed that her 'cruiser' had a road drivetrain, and was actually an aluminum frame, but, man, that old lady had some legs.....
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Did you throw him the extra Powerbar as you passed?
    Nah, what he needed was an advice on better pedaling technique because his was noticeably inefficient (gear mashing & bobbing his head at times even though it's flat, knees swaying sideways...etc.). Definitely a poser and even possibly a member of some bike forum who posts about passing someone on a MUT but then getting smoked later and seeking advice on how to improve his speed. BTW, he had a full kit on.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    I got "smoked" once on the MUT by some 'granny' on a cruiser bike. When I saw her later, I noticed that her 'cruiser' had a road drivetrain, and was actually an aluminum frame, but, man, that old lady had some legs.....
    This sounds a lot like what happened to me last year. It was a grey haired lady who passed me on what looks like a hybrid bike.
    Did you by any chance spot a rectangular metal box mounted on the frame?

Got smoked on a climb today !-485039515_673.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    To be honest, my daughter, who just turned 40, smoked me on her relatively heavy hybrid with the grip shifters and 38C tires. And I was drafting! Made up for it a month later, chasing down an elderly couple on a tandem. She asked me to "pick up the pace" just after the tandem passed.

Heard a story once from a guy who rode in Amsterdam. He was surprised how many middle aged-elderly women in business attire passed him on their heavy bikes built like tanks, with three gears.

I get passed by women all the time. No, I don't chase them down! . They're as efficient an aerobic machine as men, certainly on the recreational level. I've heard their legs are well equipped with slow twitch muscles, giving them the graceful shape men love. Women who actually race? No contest on a sustained effort. They'll beat lesser trained men every time.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sad.

Don't most of those electric bikes have a 25 mph speed limit? You're on a sub 17 pound race bike exquisitely tuned for instant response. They're sitting upright on 45 pound hybrids. All you have to do is sprint past 'em at 30 mph and drop them like a brick. That'll show 'em who's boss.
    Well, if the electric bike IS actually 50+lbs, chances are that on the downhill, just gravity alone will allow it to exceed that 25mph motor limit. Add to that the fact that he's cresting the hill at a higher speed, and he'll be pretty hard to chase down. He can go 25mph all day....or at least until the battery depletes. THEN he'll be bog-slow, and you can pass him and yell "LOSER!!!!".....Maybe give the old 'sign language L to the forehead' gesture, too.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Well, if the electric bike IS actually 50+lbs, chances are that on the downhill, just gravity alone will allow it to exceed that 25mph motor limit. Add to that the fact that he's cresting the hill at a higher speed, and he'll be pretty hard to chase down. He can go 25mph all day....or at least until the battery depletes. THEN he'll be bog-slow, and you can pass him and yell "LOSER!!!!".....Maybe give the old 'sign language L to the forehead' gesture, too.
    Dig it. It would be my great pleasure! Might have to chase down the pretender a far piece until his battery gives out! If I can't resolve the situation in a few minutes, I withdraw from the competition.

Anyone know how these e bikes work at top speed? The motor spins out at 25 mph? Is this off a governor, that limits the rotational speed of the motor? If so, the motor is still in gear, won't spin any faster, and would act as a brake on a long descent. But surely these thing freewheel.

Several years ago, rode an electric MTB that didn't freewheel in gear, like a bike does. Rider had to take it out of gear completely. He could modulate speed on the pedals and rear freewheel cluster, but the bike was so heavy, it was impossible to pick up a good cadence when the motor disengaged. The bike would immediately slow down. I guess on a long descent it could stream down the hill motor out of gear faster than 25 mph, but shifting back into gear would be difficult to do smoothly, I would think.

a real member's member
    ... chasing down an elderly couple on a tandem.
    bástards! what'd they steal? or did they t.p. your house? those elderlies can be a real menace if you let 'em get away with their old-timey shenanigans.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    bástards! what'd they steal? or did they t.p. your house? those elderlies can be a real menace if you let 'em get away with their old-timey shenanigans.
    They were both lean and mean, dark suntans, colorful kit, expensive tandem, shocking white hair with the consistency of steel wool bristling out of the helmets. Ages somewhere between 60 and 75, veterans for sure. They were going about 18 mph. I chased 'em down in 42-20, about a half block. My daughter made no attempt to stay with me. The tandem couple was talking to another rider on a hybrid. They didn't even notice me at the stop sign.

Menace? Hey, tell the guy on the Pinarello I blew by on the climb!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast