Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    There was also talk in past discussion about the 4K that maybe the SII version was better, improved for sidewall cuts. I use the 4KSII tires on the back, and over 15K miles, no issues. Won't use them on the front, though, as flats there are more serious than the rear. And I did have sidewall cuts on the old 4K tires, maybe once or twice, but none in maybe 3-4 years now on the SII.

I run Open Corsas on front. Both tires wear out about the same that way. No problems with the Corsas up front either, and I do agree they have thicker/better sidewalls than the 4KSII. Makes me feel better on 40 MPH descents.
    I get the usual (occasional) flats from fine wires, glass, and so on, but usually in the center tread.

Also use the Rubino pro III on the rear, especially in winter, which has a LOT of tread to start, but wears about the same as the 4KSII for me. These are also pretty rugged tires, a little less supple than the Corsa or 4K, but cheaper, especially when they were being blown out to make the way for graphene versions.

My front and rear tires don't have to match.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    When I hear horror stories like sidewall blowouts (well documented) at 40 mph, but then the person says "I'll continue to ride conti GP 4000" tires, I just scratch my head.
    I became a member of the 4000 cult after formerly riding either OEM or whatever was on sale at Nashbar. The first time I put them on it was like getting a new bike. I tolerate flats -- arguably, no worse than other brands -- because I like them so much. My two-plus season tire.

Best advice, as MMsRepBike notes, is to stay out of the gravel if possible. All kinds of crap lurking in there. I also inspect my tires frequently and replace them if they have a sidewall cut. I've had one blowout with a Conti, and that was from me trying to nurse an obviously worn tire along.
    It's Mueller Time

Fecal indicator
    was just reading some reviews on the BTDirect site...

saw some posts about Schwalbe ONEs having sidewall tears and bulges. oh noes...! another German tire maker that can't make decent products.

and fwiw, with ~250 reviews, the 5-star vs 1- or 2-star ratings for Conti 4Ks runs about 9:1.
    the 45th POTUS is inept, corrupt, and a pathological liar. and those may be his better qualities...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002

GP4000SII Sidewall Blowout

Quote Originally Posted by mtrac View Post
    I became a member of the 4000 cult after formerly riding either OEM or whatever was on sale at Nashbar. The first time I put them on it was like getting a new bike. I tolerate flats -- arguably, no worse than other brands -- because I like them so much. My two-plus season tire.

Best advice, as MMsRepBike notes, is to stay out of the gravel if possible. All kinds of crap lurking in there. I also inspect my tires frequently and replace them if they have a sidewall cut. I've had one blowout with a Conti, and that was from me trying to nurse an obviously worn tire along.
    I agree on staying out of the gravel with the 4000S tires. I thought the 4 Seasons were more durable but someone said no so I have to do some research on them. Gatorskins for sure would be OK for gravel.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by T K View Post
    ...And I doubt there are that many more Contis on the road than any other brand.
    On BRAG this past summer, out of hundreds and hundreds of bikes seen the Conti 4000 was on what appeared to be almost 7 out of every 10.

The range and style of bikes were great, as were the riders and where they reside.

I've ridden most everything at one time or another and have my opinions but like it or not, it's undisputed, the GP 4000 is extremely popular and clearly the best selling tire going today.
    Discover The Source for Patent Technology Muscle, Fitness and Sports Supplements.

Best Pricing on serious cyclist favorites like 'SportLegs', 'Kre-Alkalyn' and 'Burn It Up'.

https://www.BodyBuildingSupplements.com

Since 1993, Your Success is our success.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    I cut three of them in about 100 miles.
    I've never cut a Vittoria Pave or Corsa in 50,000 miles.

Some say those tires suck because of the sidewalls. Others say it's just bad luck and it would happen with any tire. You can guess which way I feel based on my experience.
    I got a slow leak sidewall cut in a relatively old Vittoria Corsa. I could feel something brushing my leg every time the wheel went around; I finally figured out it was the air going out of my rear tire. Fortunately, one of the guys I was riding with had a Park tire boot which got me home.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    people were saying that these online sellers were selling really old tires, tires that have been in sitting in storage and showing signs of rotting. Others were saying that it's "B stock" tires, tires that came from batch that didn't pass QC test, but somehow made their ways to these online warehouses (knowingly or unknowingly to the warehouses even).
    Given that Conti has updated the sidewall graphics pretty much every year, it would be painfully obvious is sellers were pushing "way-old" tires. And they would indeed have to be "way-old" and stored badly in order for "tire rot" to have begun.

The chances that large numbers of defective tires have somehow been spirited out of Conti's plants and made it into retail channels beggars the imagination.

Conti tires are very popular, and as a result there are more reports of tire failure about Conti tires than any other. What no one has ever presented is some factual information showing that they are somehow fragile and unreliable. Anecdotes are not data. The fact that there are large numbers of reports of people putting lots of miles on Conti tires with zero issues are just as persuasive as reports of fragile sidewalls.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    Conti tires are very popular, and as a result there are more reports of tire failure about Conti tires than any other. What no one has ever presented is some factual information showing that they are somehow fragile and unreliable. Anecdotes are not data. The fact that there are large numbers of reports of people putting lots of miles on Conti tires with zero issues are just as persuasive as reports of fragile sidewalls.
    This hits the nail on the head. Contis have to be one of the most commonly used tire brands. So even if a tiny percentage really do have some kind of defect, they might appear to have problems when in fact, they well could be better on average than other brands like Vittoria. People with bad experiences tend to ***** about it on the internet. People that have good experiences tend not to write about it.

The idea that any successful manufacturer would knowingly let old or defective product onto the market place, thereby injuring it's reputation, just to make a few bucks is laughable.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    There could be other factors involved too - making problem more likely or less likely. Factors like tire pressure and wheel width. Perhaps narrow rims with large tires run at lower pressure will let more tire sidewall "hang out", making it easier to be cut than on a wide rim with less light bulb effect? Or maybe narrow rims and high pressures are the problem? I guess one could use a piece of sharp gravel and experiment on old tires.

Off the back
    Those 4ksii users fortunate enough to escape the effects of a sidewall slit could try an experiment:
    before chucking your worn out tire in the trash, take a sharp knife and cut a tiny slit in the sidewall;
    then try to expand the tear further by pulling on either side.
    You will see it rips rather easily, as the tire lacks a good cross-meshing of fibers.
    In my opinion, this brittle nature of the sidewalls seems to contribute to their somewhat harsh ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    It's pretty much a fact the side walls cut easy on this tire compared to others.

When I blew out 3 in 100 miles (nice anecdote there), I saved the last one and did some experimenting with it but trying to cut the side wall by hand compared to some other Vittoria Corsas I had laying around.
    The side walls are extremely thin and cut easy. That's a fact not an anecdote.
    Do you have any experience with the Vittoria Rubino Pro G+? I'm considering trying these? They look like a good compromise between puncture resistance and at the same time being a grippy and supple tire at 150TPI.
    ďStatistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.Ē -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Iíve had a similar side wall blow out on Gator Skins year back. Fortunately, I was at the bottom of a decent and going straight so I maintained control until I stopped. Ended up using part of a Popsicle stick I found on the side of the road placed on the inside of the tire to keep the tube from ballooning out the hole/gash so I could get it home. Thatís the only issue I have ha with Continentals thus far.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    This hits the nail on the head. Contis have to be one of the most commonly used tire brands. So even if a tiny percentage really do have some kind of defect, they might appear to have problems when in fact, they well could be better on average than other brands like Vittoria. People with bad experiences tend to ***** about it on the internet. People that have good experiences tend not to write about it.
    Actually what I did before commenting on the internet is test them compared to Vittoria side walls by seeing how many pounds of pressure it took to cut each with a knife point. It's MUCH easier to cut conti side walls was my finding.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post

The idea that any successful manufacturer would knowingly let old or defective product onto the market place, thereby injuring it's reputation, just to make a few bucks is laughable.
    I don't recall anybody accusing conti of corporate malfeasance just to make a few bucks.

In my opinion -- after riding Conti GP series tires all the way back to the 3000 series up through the 4000-II series -- conti makes an inferior product, when compared to the vreds and michelins I've ridden since ditching the conti GP series tires a few years ago.

I see lots of conti GP 4000 tire riders who have never ridden any other tire. It's pretty difficult to fathom that kind of brand loyalty, especially from some of the posters on this thread who have had more than one dangerous sidewall blowouts on contis, but for some reason that's unfathomable to me, they continue to buy them.

There's brand loyal, which I understand to a point... and then there's the textbook definition of crazy.

To all riders who have never ridden on anything but conti GP series tires (including a few I ride with locally)... how do you know they're "the best" unless you've ridden tires of the same type and price?

Fecal indicator
    I see lots of conti GP 4000 tire riders who have never ridden any other tire.
    truly fascinating that you're compiling this kind of data about what tires other people ride...
    the 45th POTUS is inept, corrupt, and a pathological liar. and those may be his better qualities...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    With a lot of people saying that Conti tires are one of the most if not the most popular tires, thus there is a higher chance of hearing about them fail.

Do we have any statistical figures on Conti's popularity then? If no, then it's also anecdotal to say that Contis fail more due to their popularity.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    truly fascinating that you're compiling this kind of data about what tires other people ride...
    I'm not "compiling" anything beyond what I've seen over time on this forum, and in my personal riding history... my own, and with my long-time riding buddies.

Reread my post. You'll see that there's no "compiling" (whatever that means) going on. Just my personal observations, from my personal life.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I see lots of conti GP 4000 tire riders who have never ridden any other tire. It's pretty difficult to fathom that kind of brand loyalty, especially from some of the posters on this thread who have had more than one dangerous sidewall blowouts on contis, but for some reason that's unfathomable to me, they continue to buy them.

There's brand loyal, which I understand to a point... and then there's the textbook definition of crazy.
    I think this explains this behavior in a nutshell:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GP4000SII Sidewall Blowout-tradition.jpeg  
    Last edited by Lombard; 1 Week Ago at 07:26 AM.
    ďStatistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.Ē -- Aaron Levenstein

-- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    another German tire maker that can't make decent products.
    That seems a bit unfair. 4000Ss and Ones are racing tires. Rolling resistance and durability are two mutually-exclusive goals, and racing tires tend to pursue lower rolling resistance. Thin sidewalls are what give them the low rolling resistance. Putting more material in the sidewalls will make them more durable but less supple. If you expect your tires to withstand gravel and debris, get touring tires.

Fecal indicator
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
    That seems a bit unfair. 4000Ss and Ones are racing tires. Rolling resistance and durability are two mutually-exclusive goals, and racing tires tend to pursue lower rolling resistance. Thin sidewalls are what give them the low rolling resistance. Putting more material in the sidewalls will make them more durable but less supple. If you expect your tires to withstand gravel and debris, get touring tires.
    it wasn't 'unfair'...it was sarcasm.

Road Warrior
    I see lots of conti GP 4000 tire riders who have never ridden any other tire. It's pretty difficult to fathom that kind of brand loyalty, especially from some of the posters on this thread who have had more than one dangerous sidewall blowouts on contis, but for some reason that's unfathomable to me, they continue to buy them. There's brand loyal, which I understand to a point... and then there's the textbook definition of crazy. To all riders who have never ridden on anything but conti GP series tires (including a few I ride with locally)... how do you know they're "the best" unless you've ridden tires of the same type and price?
    Thatís BS!!! Do you actually believe that we should throw our Contiís in the trash because an unknown source posted a potential issue with a tire and states that he does not know the exact failure mechanism? WTF? To make matters worse you arrogantly state that most buyers donít have the depth of experience to make a sound choice. How in the world do you get a hat on a head that large?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
    If you expect your tires to withstand gravel and debris, get touring tires.
    This is just plain silly. It doesn't have to be all one or the other, fast rolling supple tires can be had without resorting to "touring tires". At one time maybe, but there have been advancements in tire technology allowing a more flat resistant supple tire to negate the need for truck tires. Also sidewalls don't have to be so fragile to create a supple tire that scuffing a stone will tear a hole in it, manufacturers have come a long way since offering performance tires in cotton or silk.

Also larger volume and lower pressure go a way in improving flat resistance. A 25mm tire has more flat resistance than a 23 and a 28 more than a 25, and so on. A low pressure supple tire allows the tire to roll over the debris where the higher pressure tire will mash the debris into the tread.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2015
    Mine was a minor sidewall gash, relatively new tire, going fast and bumping rear wheel on a big rock. It also chewed through the tube and deflated quickly. This year i've put on 7500km before noticing similar (and still minor) damage on rear tire.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by n2deep View Post
    Thatís BS!!! Do you actually believe that we should throw our Contiís in the trash because an unknown source posted a potential issue with a tire and states that he does not know the exact failure mechanism? WTF? To make matters worse you arrogantly state that most buyers donít have the depth of experience to make a sound choice. How in the world do you get a hat on a head that large?
    Since you didn't bother to read the thread, I'll recap what I've said several times in this thread: I've ridden Conti GP-series tires all the way back to the 3000 series, and also Conti GP-Supersonics for racedays.

I was totally brand loyal right up through the latest GP-4000 series tires about two years ago when I decided, on a whim, to try some Vred fortezza and tri-comp tires.

Much to my Conti GP brand loyal surprise, I liked the Vreds much better -- they wear better, they flat a lot less often, but most of all they let me corner more aggressively than I ever could with any Conti tires in any configuration, including the Supersonics.

Large head? No. Huge number of fast and challenging road miles on Conti GP series tires. Tried Vreds. Like Vreds much better.

There's probably still time for you to enroll in the next semester at The School For Kids That Don't Read Good.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n2deep View Post
    If you read the whole thread, you will see a few "unknown sources" that had issues with this tire.

-- Warren Buffett

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast