Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GPS Rant

Road & Trail Warrior

GPS Rant

I've been looking into buying a Garmin and I have a beef with these units. If Garmin is going to put out a "GPS" unit, it should AT LEAST have navigation. All the lower end models have features that are already on my cheap Odo. Yes, the Garmin has convenience and ease of setup. I can buy a navigational Garmin for my car for $150, but if I want one for the bike, the price is way out there.
    Anyways... Grrrrrrrr.
    "What is this? A center for ants?"

Bike Wing Conspiracy
    My 705 has navigation.

I fell asleep on the subway on my way home at 2 in the morning.

I woke up and realized I was in a part of Brooklyn I had never been in.

I did not want to wait for the next train going back to my stop so I turned the 705 on and set home as the destination and followed the arrows until I knew where I was.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2006
    I ride with an Edge 500. Navigation would be nice. But I chose the product I bought. Sounds like you want it all for cheap. Save up and get the one you want. Or you can buy a Nuvi and mount it to your bike. Then you get what you want what you want to pay for it.Free will!!!!
    10' Tarmac Comp Rival Rollin on Willlaims 38/58 Carbon Clinchers w/Powertap

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    It's called economy of scale.

Lets face it, not many want to toss $200 at a bike computer. It seem crazy for most except for the enthusiast level.

So, with fewer units, it's more cost per unit.

Then, the battery plays a part. In a car, there is almost always power to plug into. On a bike, not.......... So, the battery in the car unit it minimal. My car Garmin says 2 hrs running time IIRC. My Garmin 800 is 15 hrs I think.

Then, there's the need to get it all in a smaller package which adds to the cost.

I think the Garmins are priced high, but I just saved my money, waited for a sale and dove in head first for the 800.
    It's a fire road.............
    I'm on a road bike..........

They have enough in common to blast down it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by thehook View Post
    I ride with an Edge 500. Navigation would be nice. But I chose the product I bought. Sounds like you want it all for cheap. Save up and get the one you want. Or you can buy a Nuvi and mount it to your bike. Then you get what you want what you want to pay for it.Free will!!!!
    Just don't ask him to lead on a new route after 2 hrs. My Nuvi battery will last only about that long.
    It's a fire road.............
    I'm on a road bike..........

They have enough in common to blast down it.

RoadBikeReview Member

Re: GPS Rant

I think I may have found the best of both worlds. I have an old iPhone 4 that isn't being used anymore. The gps still works despite not being connected to a carrier. That combined with a $30 mount, I got a decent gps/cycle computer with a nice large screen that plays music too. Did I mention the battery lasts all day long?

Fix Altitude in My Tracks
    At the risk of rambling...

There's a big difference between navigation that a cheap car unit, or smart phone, does and following a predetermined course. Most people that have tried to use traditional nav on a bike quickly realize that what they want is course following. Sadly, I've found no app for Android that lets me follow a course. Sure I could put in way points out the wazoo to try and convince it to do so but that's not the same thing and it's cumbersome. So to me traditional nav on a bike isn't what I want. I want course following but am too cheap to spring for a unit that does it. Conversely in the car I don't really want nav ona small display, low processing power, bike unit. A data connected phone rules in the car for nav.

So I think of it as two different tasks for what are usually two different situations. If I could find a phone app to follow a course I'd have the best of both plus everything else you get with a phone.
    Altitude Retriever corrects the altitude in your My Tracks tracks and GPX files. Bummed out by how far off the GPS altitude is on your device? Let the Altitude Retriever fetch for out.
    Get it on Google Play!

Bacon!
    I had a navigation device once, but it kept blowing off the handle bars and was harder than hell to figure out to fold back up.
    “To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case my enemy is a varmint. And a varmint will never quit — ever. They’re like the Viet Cong — Varmint Cong. So you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower.”

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterMike View Post
    At the risk of rambling...

There's a big difference between navigation that a cheap car unit, or smart phone, does and following a predetermined course. Most people that have tried to use traditional nav on a bike quickly realize that what they want is course following. Sadly, I've found no app for Android that lets me follow a course. Sure I could put in way points out the wazoo to try and convince it to do so but that's not the same thing and it's cumbersome. So to me traditional nav on a bike isn't what I want. I want course following but am too cheap to spring for a unit that does it. Conversely in the car I don't really want nav ona small display, low processing power, bike unit. A data connected phone rules in the car for nav.

So I think of it as two different tasks for what are usually two different situations. If I could find a phone app to follow a course I'd have the best of both plus everything else you get with a phone.
    A quick search found this, which seems to be what you're looking for. I have no idea how well it works, or what else might be out there.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...sheet.ui&hl=en

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2002
    I don't think the consumers of the 500, myself included, are looking for a navigation device.

It is the stored navigation and performance data that is stored by the unit for download that make it worth the cost. A standard navigation device also does not allow for the collection of data (heart rate/power) from third party devices.

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010

GPS Rant

Quote Originally Posted by jlandry View Post
    I've been looking into buying a Garmin and I have a beef with these units. If Garmin is going to put out a "GPS" unit, it should AT LEAST have navigation. All the lower end models have features that are already on my cheap Odo. Yes, the Garmin has convenience and ease of setup. I can buy a navigational Garmin for my car for $150, but if I want one for the bike, the price is way out there.
    Anyways... Grrrrrrrr.
    .... the lower end units uses Global Positioning Sensors to track your ride.

GPS does not equal information is transposed onto a visual map
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite upgraded with 32T cassette and does not have Stan's (yet)
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded with 36T cassette and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless. Considering a 1x10 upgrade
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra upgraded to 32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    2008/2009 Burton T6 156cm with Burton Triad Bindings & DC Judge boots

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterMike View Post
    Sadly, I've found no app for Android that lets me follow a course.
    You can use google maps for that, just tell it you're on a bicycle. Put an ear phone in and you'll even get prompts.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Android app to follow a course is called osmand. Draw route at ridewithgps.com, export to file, put it on your phone. You can turn off the screen and it gives you voice prompts. However, with gps on your phone will not last all day. A few hours maybe.

Garmin 200 can follow a route, it just won't be on top of a map. Some people find it to be "good enough".

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    You can upload courses to the Edge 500 and it tells you where to go.
    Pretty nice.
    Whenever I am in an unfamiliar area I look at the map, create a course, upload it and go.
    If I get off the course it beeps and and I double back or just explore a bit.

Besides you should really try to know the area you are riding in.

Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    It's called economy of scale.
    No, I think it's called market segmentation.

Also, Garmin isn't particularly happy that they have to sell their car GPS devices at $150. That's competitive price pressure leading to margin erosion.

And they're not very happy either that you can do all of these things, though perhaps sub-optimally, on a smart phone.
    Old La Honda in less than 20 minutes! Or you can watch race video from the low-key hill climb on Welch Creek. More at www.biketelemetry.com.

"I think," said Christopher Robin, "that we ought to eat all our Provisions now, so that we shan't have so much to carry.", Winnie-the-Pooh, A. A. Milne.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    You kids are doing it wrong. Half the fun of riding your bike is getting lost and finding new routes.

Funny how the focus of our lives seems to be changing so that it is the tools that are important, rather than the purposes for which the tools are designed. I guess I'm getting old. Smart phones, GPS, Strava, et al just seem silly.

Its a bike ride, not a video game.

-----------------

RoadBikeReview Member
    ... snort... bicycle.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
    You can use google maps for that, just tell it you're on a bicycle. Put an ear phone in and you'll even get prompts.
    Google maps will let you follow directions, but not a route that you created. See this-

https://productforums.google.com/for...Y/B2RSXRYR-vYJ

Quote Originally Posted by Gatorfreak View Post
    Android app to follow a course is called osmand. Draw route at ridewithgps.com, export to file, put it on your phone. You can turn off the screen and it gives you voice prompts. However, with gps on your phone will not last all day. A few hours maybe.
    Thanks ! That one seems to have come a long way since I last looked at it. Going to have to check it out. I'd probably use a wired ear piece so as not to have BT and GPS going at the same time. I get more than enough run time with GPS for my rides and would probably only use on vacations when rides aren't more than a few hours anyway.
    Altitude Retriever corrects the altitude in your My Tracks tracks and GPX files. Bummed out by how far off the GPS altitude is on your device? Let the Altitude Retriever fetch for out.
    Get it on Google Play!

Road & Trail Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by D&MsDad View Post
    You kids are doing it wrong. Half the fun of riding your bike is getting lost and finding new routes.

Funny how the focus of our lives seems to be changing so that it is the tools that are important, rather than the purposes for which the tools are designed. I guess I'm getting old. Smart phones, GPS, Strava, et al just seem silly.

Its a bike ride, not a video game.

-----------------
    ...Not a kid at all. (42) The day I decided I wanted a Garmin was when I was 4 hours into an out and back century. So tired that I got confused and would have loved to have some help getting home. So, yeah, no fun at all.

Don't own a mobile phone, so I would have used that.

BTW, I have the WORST sense of direction. I could get lost in my own Bathroom.

Road & Trail Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by onespeed View Post
    My 705 has navigation.

I fell asleep on the subway on my way home at 2 in the morning.

I woke up and realized I was in a part of Brooklyn I had never been in.

I did not want to wait for the next train going back to my stop so I turned the 705 on and set home as the destination and followed the arrows until I knew where I was.
    The 705 is a great suggestion. I checked, and there are a lot of them being sold used.

Quote Originally Posted by jlandry View Post
    The 705 is a great suggestion. I checked, and there are a lot of them being sold used.
    And so to is the battery within (used)...
    Any 705 owners care to comment on how the battery's actual capacity holds up over time? It looks easy enough to replace (How to Replace Your Garmin Edge 705 Battery - YouTube) but might be something you want to consider it a possible negative if you aren't comfortable with the task.
    Get it on Google Play!

RoadBikeReview Member
    yes, $500 for a GPS that doesn't include detailed maps is steep but until someone else is in the cycling GPS market, Garmin can charge whatever they want.

Once cell phone makers solve the battery longevity problem, Garmin is finished as a computer maker.
    Life is like a dogsled team. If you ain't the lead dog, the view never changes

RoadBikeReview Member
    To follow routes on a Garmin device, you can use Bikeroutetoaster.com. I use it frequently. You plug in your route, and it creates points that pop up a display with an arrow and a direction. Works very well. Also will give you distance to your next turn point. Not much help if you get lost to navigate back (I was about 20 miles out on a loop in unfamiliar country and a bridge was out and I had no idea if I needed to turn back or how far the detour took me). But it works very well for plotting a course and following it. Will upload direct to the Garmin device also.
    Specialized Allez Comp Apex- '12 56cm
    Motobecane Fantom Cross Pro- '12 56cm

Road & Trail Warrior
    I'm looking at the Edge 705 (used) mainly for the mapping to use on my road bike.

If I were to use it on the MTB, how good is it on the trail? Can you record an out-and-back on the trail and it guides you back to the trailhead?

Also, it comes with a wheel/magnet sensor in case you lose reception. Is it common to lose reception, especially under tree cover?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast