Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gravel Racing

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    Those are great bikes that have performed well in events like the Giro Grinduro, but their tire clearance limitations can be an issue on muddier and tougher courses as discussed above.
    Iím in the camp that if 40ís donít do it itís mountain bike time.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by biscut View Post
    Iím in the camp that if 40ís donít do it itís mountain bike time.
    Fair enough.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Beach racing appears to be gravel racing, XC MTB, and cyclocross' crazy multicultural cousin.

The European Championship

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    An interesting read about the discipline and surviving a tough race, written by a fierce competitor:

https://cyclingtips.com/2017/08/pira...gravel-worlds/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    Don't know whether you have decided, but I would recommend chain rings smaller than road compact.

I rolled a 34/50 with a 11/28 in DK200. However, that combo was too much. If I DK again, it will be with smaller gears. Something around a 34/46 and an 11/32.

Gravel average speeds are several mph less than on the road. One really doesn't need gearing for maintaining speeds of 25-30 mph on gravel.

For a reference, I usually average 16-17 mph on gravel with the same guys that I average 19-20 with on the road.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by crit_boy View Post
    Don't know whether you have decided, but I would recommend chain rings smaller than road compact.

I rolled a 34/50 with a 11/28 in DK200. However, that combo was too much. If I DK again, it will be with smaller gears. Something around a 34/46 and an 11/32.

Gravel average speeds are several mph less than on the road. One really doesn't need gearing for maintaining speeds of 25-30 mph on gravel.

For a reference, I usually average 16-17 mph on gravel with the same guys that I average 19-20 with on the road.
    Good stuff, thanks! The Diverge comes with 32/48 in the front and 11/34 in the rear, which should be a solid place to start.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Good stuff, thanks! The Diverge comes with 32/48 in the front and 11/34 in the rear, which should be a solid place to start.

I roll a 46/30 and an 11-32. Going lower than that gets problematic. In part because of FD support, in part because BB shell width standards, in part because of cranks, and in part because of gear spacing. I have an 11-32 and lots of the time the spacing is much wider than I like--with Goldilocks and imperfect cadence.

A 30/32 (or lower equivalent) gearing is a blessing on pea gravel 10%+ gradients. Getting 46/30 there aren't many options. IRD makes one, Sugino makes one, White makes one. FSA makes one.

I don't know Specialized's BBs...but make sure if you get it you're not trapped by Bizzarro Proprietary BB standards that no one other than the OEM supplies.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    I roll a 46/30 and an 11-32. Going lower than that gets problematic. In part because of FD support, in part because BB shell width standards, in part because of cranks, and in part because of gear spacing. I have an 11-32 and lots of the time the spacing is much wider than I like--with Goldilocks and imperfect cadence.

A 30/32 (or lower equivalent) gearing is a blessing on pea gravel 10%+ gradients. Getting 46/30 there aren't many options. IRD makes one, Sugino makes one, White makes one. FSA makes one.

I don't know Specialized's BBs...but make sure if you get it you're not trapped by Bizzarro Proprietary BB standards that no one other than the OEM supplies.
    Will do, thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Although I think the last sentence isn't what was intended to say. Less racy on the road IS what you find you want on gravel.
    Yep, my bad - not enough coffee before i responded! I'll fix it.
    Moderation is boring - do epic s##t

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    That should be plenty - the problem with gravel and steep climbs like DK has is you have to stay seated or you lose traction, no standing grinding up a hill at a 40 cadence. I found 50/34 and 11/32 was a good choice out there.

If you are worried about price trying to shave a few dollars off I would not be looking at the RDO but instead the regular RLT9. You can save a grand and only gain about a pound in bike weight which in the scheme of things is trivial. I'd be with 40mm tires runing 40psi you won't feel much of a ride difference either.

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    That should be plenty - the problem with gravel and steep climbs like DK has is you have to stay seated or you lose traction, no standing grinding up a hill at a 40 cadence. I found 50/34 and 11/32 was a good choice out there.

If you are worried about price trying to shave a few dollars off I would not be looking at the RDO but instead the regular RLT9. You can save a grand and only gain about a pound in bike weight which in the scheme of things is trivial. I'd be with 40mm tires runing 40psi you won't feel much of a ride difference either.
    Thanks, I will take another look at the RLT 9 as well.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Thanks, I will take another look at the RLT 9 as well.
    If you want a Niner...make up your mind, Niner Corporate just declared C11:

Niner files for bankruptcy ahead of planned sale | Bicycle Retailer and Industry News

Quote Originally Posted by BRAIN
    DENVER, Colo. (BRAIN) ó Niner Inc. filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection on Monday ahead of a planned acquisition by a Colorado investor group.

The company had announced Nov. 22 that a group had agreed to purchase the company, not mentioning the planned Chapter 11 filing or naming the investors.

On Tuesday, it filed a petition with the Colorado Bankruptcy Court in Denver listing assets of $9.8 million and liabilities of $7.9 million.
    In an interview Wednesday, company co-founder and president Chris Sugai said the Chapter 11 filing was the most efficient way to sell the company to the group, which is called Columbia Basin Partners.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    You didnít mention a budget but based on the bike options, this is probably too much, but what about a 3T Enduro? Plenty of tire clearance and also can run 650B tires.

Iíve been thinking a lot about one of these lately. Possibly to be main road and gravel bike with two wheelset options. Iíd want a 2x drivetrain which would mean Iíd be limited to Di2 or no 650B (there isnít room for an etap battery). I did DK200 on my Superx last year with force 1x and my biggest complaint was that as I got tired in the last 1/2 of the race the gear jumps really started to get to me. I always felt like I was pedaling too fast or too slow. Thereís something to be said for consistenct cadence in a road race, even a gravel one.

RoadBikeReview Member

Niner files for bankruptcy ahead of planned sale | Bicycle Retailer and Industry News
    The brand and bikes will be around for a long time, that's just financial shenanigans to facilitate the sale of the company and brand, part of consolidation of the industry.

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

I am not in a rush and probably wonít officially make up my mind until I do some test rides. Diverge is still in the lead on paper. Bummer about Niner.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2016
    Another bike you could consider is the BMC Gran Fondo 02 disc. Stock is 50/34 11-32 gearing.

I've personally ridden the diverge and the warbird and the RLT9. All great bikes. They all felt too upright, slow and sluggish for me, but I ride in a pretty slammed stretched out position on my Madone.

I went with a BMC GF 02 disc 105 because it was cheaper. Clearance is a little worse than the warbird and diverge, only fits 38mm+mud but I use 35mm tubeless for DK, ragnarok 105, Miesville 56 and other midwest races. 40's feel slow and sluggish to me. If I ride stuff that requires more than 38's I'll use my mtb instead.

I would really like electronic shifting and hydro brakes on it, but $$$.
    I like to ride fast.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ddave12000 View Post
    You didnít mention a budget but based on the bike options, this is probably too much, but what about a 3T Enduro? Plenty of tire clearance and also can run 650B tires.

Iíve been thinking a lot about one of these lately. Possibly to be main road and gravel bike with two wheelset options. Iíd want a 2x drivetrain which would mean Iíd be limited to Di2 or no 650B (there isnít room for an etap battery). I did DK200 on my Superx last year with force 1x and my biggest complaint was that as I got tired in the last 1/2 of the race the gear jumps really started to get to me. I always felt like I was pedaling too fast or too slow. Thereís something to be said for consistenct cadence in a road race, even a gravel one.
    I think you mean the Exploro and yeah I like the bike. It's roughly the same price as the Open U.P. and designed by the same people essentially. It has been ridden to victories and podiums in big events as well by Panaracer's gravel team, but it really is out the price range I want to stay in. It's a cool bike though.

https://www.outsideonline.com/217624...est-3t-exploro

Featured Bike: Bob Cumming's 3T Exploro of the Panaracer Gravel Team - Gravel Cyclist: The Gravel Cycling Experience

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2016
    Oh, and seriously, having a threaded cartridge bottom bracket is not something to overlook for gravel. Pressfits IME are always worse at keeping crud out.
    I like to ride fast.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by marathonrunner View Post
    Another bike you could consider is the BMC Gran Fondo 02 disc. Stock is 50/34 11-32 gearing.

I've personally ridden the diverge and the warbird and the RLT9. All great bikes. They all felt too upright, slow and sluggish for me, but I ride in a pretty slammed stretched out position on my Madone.

I went with a BMC GF 02 disc 105 because it was cheaper. Clearance is a little worse than the warbird and diverge, only fits 38mm+mud but I use 35mm tubeless for DK, ragnarok 105, Miesville 56 and other midwest races. 40's feel slow and sluggish to me. If I ride stuff that requires more than 38's I'll use my mtb instead.

I would really like electronic shifting and hydro brakes on it, but $$$.
    BMC doesn't make the Gran Fondo anymore man. It was a really cool bike. They replaced it with the Roadmachine, which has to be one of the nicest looking designs out there. It's more road oriented and doesn't seem to have the same tire clearance though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by marathonrunner View Post
    Oh, and seriously, having a threaded cartridge bottom bracket is not something to overlook for gravel. Pressfits IME are always worse at keeping crud out.
    Good point, unfortunately, there aren't many options out there these days. You can probably run a praxis or something similar on some of PF bikes though.

Here's more on the BMC RM:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2016
    BMC doesn't make the Gran Fondo anymore man. It was a really cool bike. They replaced it with the Roadmachine, which has to be one of the nicest looking designs out there. It's more road oriented and doesn't seem to have the same tire clearance though.

Buy used?

But I wasn't aware of that. Pity! I think they marketed it poorly but there are a few in my riding group who have them.
    I like to ride fast.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    Just FYI, the RM-01 Max tire clearance is about 30mm. The RM-02 and RM-03 likely have more if you want to go that route.

I have been watching eBay for a used GF-0x disc, but I rarely see them in my size (61cm).

I have a rim brake GF-01, which I love dearly, but the brake calipers limit tire size to about 28mm.

Also, I would be wary of any of the 3T bikes at this point. I know three people who have purchased frames and every single one had issues. Two of them broke ( not talking cracks here . We're talking complete break of the top tube in the area of the seat post). In all cases, 3T initially refused warranty saying it was user error. One of them was eventually able to get a warranty replacement after going to a local dealer for help. The other two ordered online and are basically SOL.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Migen21 View Post
    Just FYI, the RM-01 Max tire clearance is about 30mm. The RM-02 and RM-03 likely have more if you want to go that route.

I have been watching eBay for a used GF-0x disc, but I rarely see them in my size (61cm).

I have a rim brake GF-01, which I love dearly, but the brake calipers limit tire size to about 28mm.

Also, I would be wary of any of the 3T bikes at this point. I know three people who have purchased frames and every single one had issues. Two of them broke ( not talking cracks here . We're talking complete break of the top tube in the area of the seat post). In all cases, 3T initially refused warranty saying it was user error. One of them was eventually able to get a warranty replacement after going to a local dealer for help. The other two ordered online and are basically SOL.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Wow, it's so interesting you say that and that Marc shared what he did about Niner today. I have literally been thinking for a little while now that I really want to stick ti the bigger brands these days when it comes to carbon (Specialized, Trek, Fuji, Giant, etc.). It was just a gut feeling kind of thing, but I have seen a series of issues of different types as well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    I think you mean the Exploro and yeah I like the bike. It's roughly the same price as the Open U.P. and designed by the same people essentially. It has been ridden to victories and podiums in big events as well by Panaracer's gravel team, but it really is out the price range I want to stay in. It's a cool bike though.

https://www.outsideonline.com/217624...est-3t-exploro

Featured Bike: Bob Cumming's 3T Exploro of the Panaracer Gravel Team - Gravel Cyclist: The Gravel Cycling Experience

Haha whoops, yes I meant Exploro

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast