RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011

Question Gravity Avenue C . . . What say you?

So, I've recently looked at and ridden a Wellington Windsor 2.0 and a Jamis Ventura Sport.
    Didn't like the Wellington. Felt pretty good about the Jamis, but at $650, still a little too much for me.

Now looking at the Gravity Avenue C. I has the EXACT same geometry as a Giant Defy 3. Lesser components, but it doesn't cost $700 either.

Anyone have anything to say about the Gravity Avenue C?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Thye just started putting those bikes up.
    Frankly, i think they look funky. For the money, I feel that the Mirage Sport is a better deal, but if the geometry is right for you, cant argue with that.
    I always tell people to pay under their ceiling because a bike is awesome, but shorts, a jersey, a helmet, a spare tube, and a saddlebag are priceless.

RoadBikeReview Member
    a good friend of mine wanted to start riding with my and he looked and looked and looked for a good entry bike that didnt cost an arm and a leg. He settled on the Avenue C. as it turns out. its a decent bike....for a beginner. the group set i believe is still Sora, the parts as well pretty well generic, but they all work together and make the tires roll. if you can wait and save up some more pennies, id wait and get the Jamis, but like tfinator said, helmet, jerseys, cages/bottles and shorts etc cost more than the price of the bike. no one will hold it against you that you got the Avenue C and got your base on that before you spent more on a better quality bike down the road.

i hope it helps! good luck!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011

Can your freind post

airforcefirefighter, any chance that your friend can post his review of the Avenue C? What does it weigh, for instance. I'd love to see what he has to say about it. Yeah, I know of the cost of the "accessories" does add up. Those, I'll keep. A bike, I expect to replace in a couple/three years, IF I like road biking. If I don't, then I'm only out $349, not $650 to $800. I can get the Jamis for $650 and I may wait. It felt good when I road it. I'm going to go ride a Giant Defy 3 and see how it fits. The geometry is not too far off from the Jamis Ventura Sport. Thanks for the input.

One other thing. I can get a Jamis Satellite Sport for $575. An all steel bike, but still only weighing in at 25lbs. Remember, I'm new and will ride 20 miles or less a couple times per week. Will I EVER notice the difference between a 22lbs and a 25lbs bike? If not, is steel the way to go? I just am struggling, mentally, about buying a steel bike in this day and age of composite and aluminum. Why would I ever buy a steel bike that weighs more?

RoadBikeReview Member
    id love for him to post a review on but he is over seas right now serving in the sand box. but when he gets back i can surely let him know youre interested, but i can give you my opinion on it. remember, this is MY OPINION, and im sure others will have thier own reservations on this.
    J bought the bike because he wanted to ride but wasnt sure if it was for him and, like you said, if he didnt he was only out a few hundred. that is a plus. Considering weight, My Giant bike with mostly carbon components weights roughly 16.6lbs, (lets just say the avenue C weights 25lbs exactly) thats 8.4lbs difference, in bike terms that a TON of weight. will you notice it? maybe not, since youre new, because if you log say, 1000 miles on a 25lb bike, that bike will feel light to you becuase thats all you know. after logging 500 miles on my bike at my and i jumped on a bike that weighted almost 9 lbs more, i would feel like im dragging and anchor.

carbon fiber is comparaitivly lighter than steer and alumunum, though the cost is 10x the amount. if youre trying to log base miles and doing no racing, just smooth riding to get into shape, youll be fine on a steel/ aluminum bike for now. when youre ready to drop 600-1000$ youll get carbon fork and maybe more for that price. (trek 1.1 starts at $649 and is composite, no carbon, trek 1.2 i beleive is around $840 with a carbon fork, see the price difference)
    i think in your case youll be fine with the Avenue C for a few years. then when youre ready for a new ride, shop around. youll have plenty to look at.

hope it helps.