RoadBikeReview Member

Greetings Fellow Cyclists

I ride a road bike and have recently noticed what I thought was chewing gum on my side walls. Well it appears to be spreading to both tires and I am concerned that the tire might be coming apart though no signs appear. The tires are two seasons old with about 1000 miles on them. Has anyone else experienced this situation? I do not want to suffer another crash and I am considering new tires. Thanks Russ

RoadBikeReview Member
    Welcome!

Chewing gum? They must be gumwall tires, LOL! Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

Seriously, I have no idea what this could be, but I doesn't sound good. I would replace.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks...like the gum wall comment; humor is almost as good as a long bike ride!

RoadBikeReview Member
    And the "gum" was pink also!!!!!
    Last edited by rulowatkins; 07-13-2017 at 07:56 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by rulowatkins View Post
    I ride a road bike and have recently noticed what I thought was chewing gum on my side walls. Well it appears to be spreading to both tires and I am concerned that the tire might be coming apart though no signs appear. The tires are two seasons old with about 1000 miles on them. Has anyone else experienced this situation? I do not want to suffer another crash and I am considering new tires.
    If it is the sidewall of the tire deteriorating, then you got some defective tires (assuming the tires are only two years old and didn't sit in a hot garage for a decade) or you got into something that is eating the rubber. Tire rubber is vulcanized (crosslinked) and so doesn't do this unless it is chemically coming apart.

Are you saying that this rubber condition caused a crash? Then obviously you need to throw the tires out and get new ones. More specifics (brand/model of tire, whether they are tubed or tubeless, riding conditions, and more details about this "chewing gum" condition).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Kerry,
    No crash but being conservative having met the pavement before as I am sure all of us have on occassion.
    The fact that I live in the South and my bike hangs in the garage, I bet you hit the nail n the head and its the heat that is breaking the tire down. The tires are Hutchinson Fusion. Maybe I can convince my wife to let me keep the bike in the house ha-ha.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Bikes always belong in the house. Maybe you can convince the wife that you will save money on tires if you bring the bike in. :-)

I had a pair of Hutchinson tires once. 1000 miles and one of the sidewalls failed. There are better brands.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post

I had a pair of Hutchinson tires once. 1000 miles and one of the sidewalls failed. There are better brands.
    I'll second that. I've never had good luck with Huthchinson tires.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks and TGIF!

Cooper1960
    Oct 2010
    With the current trend of "how low can you go tire pressure" my first question what be what pressure are you running? My second question would be are you sure your brake pads are positioned correctly? My third question would be if they look questionable why not go buy new tires?

And whats with the misleading post title? I thought it was another "wave to other cyclist" discussion.
    Miles of agony for moments of ahhh!