gym
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013

Question GT GTR Series 3 2012 vs Diamondback Podium 2 2012

Hi everyone. I'm looking at getting my first road bike and I'm limited by my budget of less than $700. My brother told me to increase my budget, but I'm currently unable to do so. So through my search I came across these 2 bikes: The GT gtr Series 3 and the Diamondback Podium 2 both 2012 models. I know they're both known more for their MTB or BMX. The components are similar and so are their prices. I just need help deciding which is the better one of the 2.

Any information about the bikes or the companies or your experience with both bikes would really help. I really want to get out on the road soon and I just need to know which is the one for me. I'm 5'8 with a 30" inseam in case anyone was wondering. LOL. Hope somebody can help me. Thanks!

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    There's nothing wrong with either bike. Tiagra 10spd is a good entry level component group.

Ride them both. The better one is the bike you feel more comfortable on.

Your brother said to increase your budget. Why? What's your purpose for the bike? Are you racing? Are you just riding for fun and fitness? How far and how often do you plan to ride?

gym
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    There's nothing wrong with either bike. Tiagra 10spd is a good entry level component group.

Ride them both. The better one is the bike you feel more comfortable on.

Your brother said to increase your budget. Why? What's your purpose for the bike? Are you racing? Are you just riding for fun and fitness? How far and how often do you plan to ride?
    Unfortunately, I dont know any place that has these 2 bikes around me. I saw them both online. Which is more durable? How about the other components that come with them?

My brother is a big racer and has high end equipment. He says cheaper bikes won't last too long. I would be riding probably around 2-3x a week anywhere from 15-30 miles at a time, or even more. Mostly for exercise but also might get in to long rides and races.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gym View Post
    Unfortunately, I dont know any place that has these 2 bikes around me. I saw them both online. Which is more durable? How about the other components that come with them?
    I doubt you'd notice any durability difference between the two. Tiagra components are pretty durable.

My brother is a big racer and has high end equipment. He says cheaper bikes won't last too long. I would be riding probably around 2-3x a week anywhere from 15-30 miles at a time, or even more.
    No offense, but your brother is either a snob or ignorant. What does he consider "too long". If you take care of your bike, there's no reason you wouldn't get years of use out of it at that rate.
    I'd venture to bet that if your brother is riding super light high end equipment, you'd get equal or better longevity.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Even though I agree fully with what tlg has said, I'd just like to chime in that the Diamondback Podium series are very good. I have a Diamondback Podium 3 2012, and it has served me very well. I had no need to change a single thing on it, apart from the tubes (I accidentally drove into a curb ). Now if only NYC's weather doesn't jump from 40 to 60 and back every other day.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2005
    If you have a nearby LBS, why don't you visit them, let them know what you're interested in and what you're budget is, and let them make suggestions? Then you'll be able to test ride your options and pick whichever is best for you?
    "When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking." -- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

gym
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Thanks for the advice, but I've actually done a lot of shopping around bike shops and found that online really has the lowest prices. Even if they say that they have lifetime free service or something, you don't feel the difference as compared to a lower initial price. They just suggest things that I either don't want or can't afford at the moment.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I was able to get my 105-equipped Ridley on CraigsList for $750 this past fall, and it's been fantastic. Carbon fork, and decent Vuelta Corsa wheels as well.

If you want the most bang for your buck, give CraigsList a try, especially if your brother can help you find a suitable steed (although, as has been mentioned, he may either be a snob, or just very bad at maintaining his fancy parts).

Aside from going used, either of your choices are great...provided they fit well. Take measurements, study the geometry charts, and see if you can ride a similar bike at a shop before you commit. Otherwise, you'll be wasting your money if you get a bike that doesn't fit you.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMook View Post
    either of your choices are great...provided they fit well. Take measurements, study the geometry charts, and see if you can ride a similar bike at a shop before you commit. Otherwise, you'll be wasting your money if you get a bike that doesn't fit you.
    ^^^ This
    If the bike doesn't fit and you're not comfortable, all that money you saved buying online will be wasted. You'll ride the bike less... or not at all.

I'm not a fan of using the LBS services for test rides fully knowing that you're going to buy online. Besides, a similar bike may not give you any useful information. A 55cm bike in one brand may ride and fit nothing like a 55 in another.