Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gu review

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009

Gu review

I'm generally not into specialized products and mostly make-do with the more typical common versions, that being said I'm on the fence about Gu. The instructions on the package say to apply half an hour before riding and then every fifteen minutes while riding - that's a lot of Gu and it also costs like 2 bucks each application. It is pretty smooth going on and the simple application packets make it as easy as possible to get it where it needs to go and not all over your fingers. I did feel like I smelled like a candy store after my four hour ride though and I must say having applied it every 15 minutes seemed like overkill after I got home and had just spent about 20 bucks on an overly sweet smelling ass. I didn't have any chaffing issues, but then I imagine squirting anything on my ass every fifteen minutes is bound to get slimy enough.

RoadBikeReview Member

Not sure if serious?

"The lower limit of dietary carbohydrate compatible with life apparently is zero, provided that adequate amounts of protein and fat are consumed."......http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?reco...10490&page=275

Feel free to PM me nutrition questions. I will answer them if I have time.....

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    It helps if you eat it instead of rubbing it on your butt.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Can't. Breathe. Must. Stop. Laughing.
    Arguments among misinformed people do not constitute a "debate."
    --Kerry Irons

"Atheism is a religion like not collecting stamps is a hobby."
    --BianchiJoe

Cervelo S3/Dura Ace
    Felt B2Pro/SRAM
    Cannondale CAAD10/105

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    lmaoooooo

banned
    I've been laughing so hard I have tears! Be sure to try the chunky next time.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Try Clif Bloks instead.

LC
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    Should of tried the chunky peanut butter flavor.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Candy ass!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayBlack View Post
    Try Clif Bloks instead.
    Aren't those mainly only electrolytes though?

Also, that peanut butter flavor is ridiculous. Not bad tasting, but truly is like trying to choke down peanut butter on a climb...Not sure who came up with that one. They have peppermint too, some weird choices.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I bought the little GU flask, in it I put in homemade espresso, it does the same thing GU gunk does but for a lot less money! So I make 4 shots of espresso, the flask takes about almost to shots, then I drink the rest about a half an hour before I go riding. I only do that on longer rides though.

I drink Gatoraid powdered mix, so a bottle of it cost less then 10 cents, and I get all the electrolites that I expel back in, which is all one needs to do.

Then on longer rides I take Met-Rx Big Colossal meal in a bar, it works far better then anything else I've tried and it can be found relatively inexpensive at Walmart. If you want something really cheap just eat a peanut butter jelly sandwich.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by scryan View Post
    Also, that peanut butter flavor is ridiculous. Not bad tasting, but truly is like trying to choke down peanut butter on a climb...Not sure who came up with that one. They have peppermint too, some weird choices.
    Well, maybe it's really not intended to be eaten. Maybe it is for something else.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Do you eat this for energy?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by froze View Post
    I bought the little GU flask, in it I put in homemade espresso, it does the same thing GU gunk does but for a lot less money! So I make 4 shots of espresso, the flask takes about almost to shots, then I drink the rest about a half an hour before I go riding. I only do that on longer rides though.
    Mix the espresso with some honey or agave syrup at around 50/50 or whatever consistency you prefer. Great natural slow release sugar plus coffee ans caffeine

Fecal indicator
    I recommend the OP try chamois butter on toast...
    eff all y'all...

w-g
    Will rep for beer
    I'm killing time since I was put on hold during a phone call....really hoping they're not hearing me giggling. Don't think this thread can be explained to a non-cyclist.
    “You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.” Inigo Montoya

help us all
    Quote Originally Posted by hummina shadeeba View Post
    I'm generally not into specialized products and mostly make-do with the more typical common versions, that being said I'm on the fence about Gu. The instructions on the package say to apply half an hour before riding and then every fifteen minutes while riding - that's a lot of Gu and it also costs like 2 bucks each application. It is pretty smooth going on and the simple application packets make it as easy as possible to get it where it needs to go and not all over your fingers. I did feel like I smelled like a candy store after my four hour ride though and I must say having applied it every 15 minutes seemed like overkill after I got home and had just spent about 20 bucks on an overly sweet smelling ass. I didn't have any chaffing issues, but then I imagine squirting anything on my ass every fifteen minutes is bound to get slimy enough.
    I prefer gel blocks, just pop in a couple every 10 minutes:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gu review-clif-shot-bloks-glamour-shot-1.jpg  
    2011 Cervelo r3

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tdietz87 View Post
    Which end do you put them in?

The Pb Torpedo
    Jun 2011
    I think your problem is the every 15 minutes... you can't process the stuff that fast. Try applying every 1/2 hour.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tdietz87 View Post
    OMG If the OP is going to be popping those in every 10min he better carry one of these in his saddle bag!

help us all
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    OMG If the OP is going to be popping those in every 10min he better carry one of these in his saddle bag!
    I find that with a small application of Gu, they slide ride in! Additionally, I would only carry one of those devices if it came in carbon fiber.
    2011 Cervelo r3

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    If he's really a "he", he's going to need a sex change first. These things are used with an orifice guys don't have.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by psycleridr View Post
    Mix the espresso with some honey or agave syrup at around 50/50 or whatever consistency you prefer. Great natural slow release sugar plus coffee ans caffeine
    There is nothing slow release about honey or agave syrup

Master debator.
    I'm quite sure the OP is serious. I do the same, but I only use the Vanilla Bean flavor/scent whatever. That's the one the dogs seem to want to lick off the most at the end of a ride, and I don't want them to have any caffeine. Really wish they made Beef or Chicken GU...
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

I Love PAIN
    Damn you guys are a bunch of sick bastards. My wife is getting pissed at me. I am laughing my ass off and waking the sleeping little ones. Oh well.

Carry on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast