Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Hanging Rack vs. Platform Rack?

52K views 52 replies 30 participants last post by  HyperCycle 
#1 · (Edited)
Finally getting my trailer hitch installed in about two weeks...I think my wife is even happier than I am about it (been using her car to transport my bike to my weekend rides).

After everything is said and done (and bought), it appears I have a max of about $180 to spend on the rack...and this is with me putting off the new bike purchase for a couple months.

In general, are Hanging hitch racks or Platform hitch racks better/safer/easier/more secure/etc?

Not specifically these models but here are the types I'm considering:

Hanging: https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-Racks/Swagman/S63360.html

Platform: https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-Racks/SportRack/SR2901.html

Also, when using a hanging rack, what keeps the handlebars/front wheel from turning (into the rear bumper)?

I post this question because I was 99% sure I was going with a platform rack but started looking at some of the hanging racks and they got fantastic reviews.

Thanks for your input!!!

TripleB

See less See more
#2 ·
In general, are Hanging hitch racks or Platform hitch racks better/safer/easier/more secure/etc?
In general, no difference. Some people don't like the hanging, because they worry about scratching their frame. I personally don't think it's a real issue.

I use a bungee cord to keep the fork from turning.

#3 ·
Yep. Bungies work.

Personally, I would not have a hanging rack without a lower bar to lash things to. That really locks things in well. Like this one:

https://www.hollywoodracks.com/bike-racks/hitch-racks/hitch-rack-images/roadrunner-04-Lg.jpg

I also like the connection system on the hollywood, which cinches the rack to the receiver hitch very well indeed.

That said, for anyone who transports MTBs, the platform style will be easier to use on some suspension designs. You can make the hanging ones work, with enough bungies. I have, that's for sure. But for ease of use the platform would be my choice for full suspension mtbs, in general.

Some combinations of bikes/sizes make it hard to get multiple bikes on without contact. So it's never a bad idea to test if you can, and if you transport multiple bikes at once. I can get two road bikes and two mtbs on my rack, but I have to put something on the road bars since they overlap the MTB tires. Not a bit deal, but that's the best way they fit, and I lost bar tape the first time I did it.

#8 ·
Get something, anything and start enjoying yourself on the road!
Already enjoying myself on the road; it's just a matter of how long before the wife says I can no longer borrow her SUV to get to my longer rides :D

It seems like many of the platform bike racks are similar with only a couple differences:
1) seems like the $170+ racks offer deeper 'wells' for your tires to rest in and usually a strap to secure tires onto rack
2) some have knobs to tighten the bar onto the bike while others have a ratchet style

Anyone have any problems with either style of holding the bar down onto the bike?

Thanks for all the input!

TripleB

#10 ·
IMO, platform racks are way quicker and easier to use, and are more secure. Also, the bikes don't swing and bang together or against the vehicle, and the wheels don't spin in the wind. I have both and never use the hanging rack anymore. Just about all the employees at the LBS use platform racks for those same reasons.

#11 ·
Platform for me. I dont' like dealing with the hanging style for various reasons.

The tray style is generally quicker and simpler to load, very secure/stable, and works with just about any kind of bike right out of the box.

My platform rack of choice is the Kuat Sherpa 2.0

#15 ·
Platform racks all the way. I have too much invested in bikes to risk a banged up frame. We take our bikes on long vacations, so 2,000+ miles on a hanging rack is not even a consideration.
Well, I have 4 expensive bikes and take them on very long vacations of 4000 miles round trip. They don't move at all on that Hollywood rack. Not lashed down with bungies and the straps that came with it.

But if I were buying today, and not 10 years ago, platform rack for sure.

#17 · (Edited)
4 More Questions:

1) If only carry 1 bike in a 2 bike rack, is it ok to put the bike in the holder furthest from the car?

2) A couple of the bike racks don't come with straps for the tires...are these good or are there better ones? https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Softride/SR18679.html

3) Is it ok to leave your bike rack on your car 24/7?

4) Do bike racks with 'deeper' wheel wells (for lack of a better term) offer better security over those that just have 'flat' wheel wells?

Deeper wheel well: https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-Racks/Hollywood-Racks/HR200.html

Flat wheel well: https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-Racks/Swagman/S64650.html

BTW: if the depth of the wheel well doesn't matter as far as the security and doesn't pose any more risk of damage to the bike, I really like the 2nd bike rack above...ratchet clamps and only sticks out 20 inches from the bumper---meaning it can be left on and still fit easily in my garage!
Thanks for all your help!

TripleB

#18 ·
I have both and use both. If I am going somewhere quick with just my road bike, I use the hanging rack and a bungee. If I have multiple bikes and or mtbs than I use the platform rack. I bought the Transit rack for 4 bikes from performance. It is awesome, especially if you have women's bikes and kids bikes. It is very heavy though. For the price, it can't be beaten.

#19 ·
Roof rack or inside the vehicle for me, but if I was going to use a rear rack, it's be a platform rack to keep the bike from swinging in the wind or knocking into each other. Don't know if you're going to be able to do that for $180 though. :(

#20 ·
Pump the brakes on buying accessories. I have multiple thousands dollars of clothes, accessories, tools, racks, trainers, etc. It has taken more than 20 years to build up my "collection". I could not go out and replace all of the stuff I regularly use in one year. Slow down. Ride your bike - that is the point. The point is not buying a bunch of junk to ride your bike.

Stop buying the cheapest crap there is. Cry once. Else you are going to have to re-purchase all this stuff again when you realize buying everything all at once was a bad plan b/c you didn't know what you wanted or needed and bought junk. Plus, if you buy the good stuff, you can sell it for not that big of a loss.

#1 thing (i don't remember if you bought the bike yet) - buy a nice bikes that fits. Nice means greater than about $1000. "Real" road bikes have been $1000 for 20 years. Yes, people with say tiagra or sora or whatever is good enough. I wouldn't mess with less than 105. Start getting cheaper than $1000 and you get bikes with a mixture of crap wheels, junky brakes, horrible saddles, heavy no name stems/seatposts/bars.

#2 thing - proper riding clothes/shoes. It is about to get cold. You can't get good winter gear for cheap. So, I'd go for knickers, long sleeve under armour cold gear type shirt, SS jersey, and a wind vest (thin windproof full finger gloves and shoe covers may help too). That stuff will keep you riding outside in the low 50s.

Since you went hitch rack: Save up and buy a 1upusa or kuat or the like. For the next year, take the wheel(s) off and put the bike in your car or ride to the ride. I live outside of DC - So, my traffic is worse than yours and I ride to the ride.

There is a guy on a group ride I do that puts his bike in his audi TT. If there is a will there is a way. Buy a cloth drop cloth from your local home improvement store and cover the back seat and floor. Put your bike in the car sans wheels.

#23 ·
Slow down. Ride your bike - that is the point. The point is not buying a bunch of junk to ride your bike.

Stop buying the cheapest crap there is. Cry once. Else you are going to have to re-purchase all this stuff again.

#1 thing (i don't remember if you bought the bike yet) - buy a nice bikes that fits. Nice means greater than about $1000.

#2 thing - proper riding clothes/shoes. It is about to get cold. You can't get good winter gear for cheap.

For the next year, take the wheel(s) off and put the bike in your car or ride to the ride.
Thank you for your advice!!!

I've been trying to purchase the bare minimum of items I need...because I had none of the gloves/helmet/tools/quality bottles/lights/etc. As far as the quality...I love everything I've purchased so far and all seem to be working perfectly.

I have not purchased a bike yet...still riding my $300 mountain bike with road tires on it. To be honest, if I wait until I can afford a $1500 bike (if I'm going over $1000 I'll get carbon), I'll be waiting at least 4 or up to 12 years down the road...daughter in college and a 9 year old/5th grade son who will be going to college.

And to be honest, just moving onto the road, a $600 bike might be my best choice. 1) I can afford it. 2) It will still feel like a step up from my 16 year old mountain bike. 3) It will give me a chance to learn how to work on a road bike without the fear of messing up a $2000 purchase.

As far as winter clothes...lucking I was once a runner and have been playing tennis for 44 years so I'm got some winter type clothes from those sports that I can use for cycling.

I've tried numerous times (and I've got the scratches on my car to prove it) to get my bike to fit in my car and it just won't work. It should, it looks like it would, but it doesn't. the opening into the rear seat area narrows to about 2'4" and the height of the opening is 14".

Again, I appreciate your input!

TripleB

#21 ·
Platform racks are more secure and easier to use. But you want a wheel hook version, not a frame hook. Why not a frame hook? I learned the following first hand when I went the "economical" route:

The frame hook racks can scratch your paint. Your bike will be rubbing and vibrating under that hook as you drive. Repeat that enough, especially with any dirt involved, and you will leave a mark.

There is a bone head risk of scratching (or even chipping) your top tube with the end of the hook during mounting and dismounting.

You need to mount the inside bike from the side, between your vehicle and the beam that the hook slides on, another opportunity to have mounting and dismounting mishaps.

When both hooks are sliding on the same support beam, one hook must be higher then the other. Look at the pictures. This can make for difficulty if that distance apart is not provided by the difference between the top tube heights of the two bikes you're trying to carry.

Kuat, Thule, Yakima and 1upUSA all make quality rack versions that don't attach to the frame or have any of the aforementioned challenges and risks. Too expensive? Buy used. Craigs list is your friend, maybe even eBay (just watch shipping prices). I'll take used, quality gear in good shape over new cheap stuff every day.

With a good locking hitch pin, you should be safe leaving your rack on 24/7 (and parking in the garage at night). The quality racks above all fold up vertical when not in use, minimizing the clearance you need to park in your garage and eliminating other hazards presented by having an empty bike rack sticking out the back of your vehicle.

I don't see why you can't transport your bike in the outside position with the inner open. I have.

I ditched my frame hook rack and now use a wheel hook version. I can safely and securely mount a bike in 30 seconds, maybe less.

#22 ·
Platform bike racks are worth their weight in gold after years of using hanging, traditional racks. I have 29ers and 27.5" frames with strange geometry angles, and it's a nightmare to hang these bikes on traditional racks even with adapter bars. I have a Hollywood Racks 4-bike platform bike rack with thousands of miles on it. It locks at the hitch and there's a locking cable for the bikes with the same keyed-alike lock. Best investments in bike related gear for me have been: Platform rack, Speedplay clipless pedals and winter bike apparel so I can ride anytime there's not snow on the roads.

#24 ·
Platform are superior in every way except price. I found a nice used Kuat that even covered that aspect.

#25 ·
I got this hanging-type rack by Softride.
https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-Racks/Softride/SR26248.html

I like it for the following reasons:
  • Holds 4 bikes
  • Swings down to load bikes and access the reach hatch
  • Bikes stay level when the rack is lowered - huge plus
  • Folds up for pretty compact storage in the garage
  • Straps and cradles are easy on the bikes.
  • Easy to attach to and remove from car
  • Rack is very solid when installed - no shaking at all.

I added the the optional $5 anti-sway cradle and the bikes don't sway at all.
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Softride/SR26135.html

For securing the front wheel so it doesn't bang around, this rack came with velcro straps for this purpose. Loop it around the wheel and the bottom tube to secure it in place.

#26 ·
One thing to consider with any hitch rack is how badly the rack/bikes will obscure your taillights and license plates.

I use one (tray mount) my VW Westfalia, which has narrow horizontally oriented taillights, and I get real nervous about being rear ended in heavy traffic. Those lights are hard enough to see without the bike rack in the way.

Some people may also worry about an overzealous cop pulling them over for an obscured license plate (probable cause) and then having to deal with other "issues". YMMV

#33 ·
:( Platform Rack: They stick out REALLY far from the car if you have 4 bikes. The entry and exit angles can be a problem with some driveways and curbs even on my Acura MDX. They are a PAIN to get to the tailgate when the bikes are off. AND! The bikes sit further apart - so that 4th bike better not be your fat bike that weighs 45lbs.

:) Hanging Rack: I got the Yakima Swingdaddy and think its superior. When you are on vaca, and no bikes are not on the rack you can quickly swing it out of the way. Swaying bikes? No problems, just use the anti-sway latches correctly, a bungee cord for the front wheels and MAYBE a foam pool noodle with a slit in it, if you are worried.

I know this is an old post, but I just went through this entire exercise and was surprised to see the support for the platform carriers. My suggestions are based on long vacas with large drives and multi-bikes. Platforms may be better for Tuesday night rides with one bike.

#34 ·
I'm gonna have to disagree with your assessment of Platforms. My wife and I have 2 small SUVs and even with the extension for 4 bikes, it's easy to fold up when not in use, easy to fold back down if we need access to trunk area and with 4 bikes on the rack during travel... it does not stick out far enough to impede precision parking and driving. :)

#36 ·
The hanging trunk/hitch racks would be my last choice. I would go with a roof rack, or even tear the bike down and throw it in the trunk/back seat before I dealt with that mess again.

However, I've gone full on internal bike storage after some hassles with my external racks on a road trip last summer.

I still have and love my Kuat Platform 2 bike hitch rack. It's light, simple to use and store, and secures the bikes. I still use it on occasion, but not when I'm travelling, due to theft concerns. I caught someone trying to cut the lock on my hitch rack last summer when I stopped for dinner while driving back home from California.

#37 ·
The hanging trunk/hitch racks would be my last choice. I would go with a roof rack, or even tear the bike down and throw it in the trunk/back seat before I dealt with that mess again.

However, I've gone full on internal bike storage after some hassles with my external racks on a road trip last summer.

I still have and love my Kuat Platform 2 bike hitch rack. It's light, simple to use and store, and secures the bikes. I still use it on occasion, but not when I'm travelling, due to theft concerns. I caught someone trying to cut the lock on my hitch rack last summer when I stopped for dinner while driving back home from California.
When I travel the back of my wagon is generally filled with camping gear, a cooler, food and clothes (a second duffel filled with just cycling kit), so there is no room inside for the bikes. Thus I prefer the roof rack as it doesn't impede my access to the gear stowed in the back.

#39 ·
I looked and looked and finally sprang for the Kuat Nv Base 2.0.

I wouldn't hang my Madone 5.2 carbon by the top tube. The Kuat only touches the tire and wheel.

I could probably hang my Lemond Buenos Aires, but I don't want to.

With both bike on the Kuat there is little to no wiggle and I've never had a single problem over hundreds of miles.

Also, the Kuat has a ton of convenience features like swing down for access to the tailgate on my Tucson, easy release of the rack up and down, built in cable locks, adjustable cradle for different lengths, and a bunch more.

Yes, it was expensive, but my bikes were expensive and this rack looks built to last forever. And you could probably sell it and get almost what you paid for it.

#40 ·
I've had both. I think they are both generally easy to use.

If this is for a hitch mount, I think the platform is a better option.

One issue that can come up with the hanging racks is that some weird shapes and sizes of bikes can be a challenge to get to fit. Generally not an issue with standard diamond-frame road bikes or hard-tail mountain bikes, but other types (step-through "women's" bikes, mixtes, FS mountain bikes, exotic tri bikes) can sometimes be a challenge. In the end I never found a frame I could not make fit, but it took some creativity to say the least.

The other thing to consider is whether you will need to tilt the racks back to access the rear of the car. The platform racks handle this very well. With hanging racks, the bikes turn in the cradles.

In order to keep the front wheels from flopping over on a hanging rack, I would bungee the back of the front wheel to one of the pedals.

#41 ·
I recently got a 1up USA rack for my truck. It works for my road and mountain bikes and also let's me open the tailgate on my truck. The main reason I went with a platform rack was because the geometry of my mountain bikes didn't work well with hanging racks. Also, this rack goes on my truck in less then a minute and I can have 2 bikes mounted ready to go in about another minute. This is truly the best rack I have ever owned (also the most expensive) but it's all aluminum and made in the USA so with any luck it will last awhile! Here is a picture showing how it allows me to open my tailgate.

Good luck in your decision.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive tail & brake light Automotive exterior Automotive lighting

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.