Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    People buy them because they like how they look. Numerous studies have shown from a watts saved per dollar perspective, aero wheels are one of the least effective enhancements cyclists can invest in. IMO, deep section carbon wheels are inferior to low profile alloy wheels in almost every way: they're much more expensive, offer worse braking, are harder to control in cross winds, often ride more harshly and are more prone to failure through delamination.

Prices are plummeting and performance is getting better, but it remains a fashion thing to me.

Note: I've owned deep section carbon wheels in the past but went back to low profile alloy wheels.

RoadBikeReview Member
    In terms of performance improvement, they are about a 2/10. In terms of sexy, they are a 9/10. Ratings may vary based on individual preference and rim type/application.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Unsprung weight. Lighter wheels do help, but today has less to do with material used, but how much lighter the wheel is.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Didn't November Dave post here a way back regarding why he quit selling carbon clinchers?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ljvb View Post
    Unsprung weight. Lighter wheels do help, but today has less to do with material used, but how much lighter the wheel is.
    Unsprung weight ???????????. That might be a positive if road bikes actually had front and rear suspensions but since 99.9% don't have anything you could call a suspension system, unsprung weight not the best argument for them. Weight, rotational mass, acceleration; yeah I'll buy those.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by exracer View Post
    Weight, rotational mass, acceleration; yeah I'll buy those.
    Low inertial light rims yes. Tubular that's true, but carbon clinchers rims are damn near as heavy as aluminum ones. 40-50 grams maybe (<40mm tall).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Since when is cycling about what a person "needs"?

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by El Scorcho View Post
    Since when is cycling about what a person "needs"?
    Two wheels and pedals. Anything else is luxury.

Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Two wheels and pedals. Anything else is luxury.
    Zactly!

So if I am just after luxury items like gears, rubber tires and brakes it feels silly to draw the line at carbon wheels.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I see carbon every once in awhile when riding around but it could be the Bicycling Mag. guys/gals. It certainly is not 'everybody' in Emmaus PA. With that said I love my Shamal's Except I bought them used locally and they are the 2-way fit version. They are the one of the hardest rims to fit a tire to. I usually put new tires on w/o tubes over night so they stretch a little so I can get them on with tubes and just hands. It took me longer then it should have to realize that no tire irons during install is they way to go if I don't want to have a damaged inner-tube.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 50x25 View Post
    I see carbon every once in awhile when riding around but it could be the Bicycling Mag. guys/gals. It certainly is not 'everybody' in Emmaus PA. With that said I love my Shamal's Except I bought them used locally and they are the 2-way fit version. They are the one of the hardest rims to fit a tire to. I usually put new tires on w/o tubes over night so they stretch a little so I can get them on with tubes and just hands. It took me longer then it should have to realize that no tire irons during install is they way to go if I don't want to have a damaged inner-tube.
    I am not sure the folks at Bicycling Mag even ride bikes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12