Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009

Have we all been Flamboozled ?

I mean I know there are a few select riders in every town USA that can benefit from certain components but what about the rest of us slugs?

Every Bicycle I see nowadays has Carbon rims. Are they really necessary and do they add any speed?

I can remember my LBS telling me 6 years ago that I could instantly add 1mph average by simply installing these type wheels.

I remember thinking he was full of crap but now I see them everywhere.

They really aren't much lighter in most cases.

Average Joe Blow, how much speed does he/she really gain?
    Oh my, a troll who doesn't know the difference between your and you're. What will they think of next?

Neophyte
    Carbon wheels are lighter, thereby making it easier to flip the bike upside down when you have to change a tube.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Have yet to bother owning a pair of carbon rims. Never really wanted to buy a set either.

I do laugh whenever someone shows up on Tour De Nebraska with 60-80mm zoot carbon rims.....they learn the error of their ways very quickly about our gusty surface winds.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    alloy rim wheels are generally less expensive and typically brake better. i ride dura ace c-24's which are a hybrid design. only reason to get carbon is a desire to look cool and a desire to buy more expensive brake pads, complain a little and wind up getting disc brakes

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek_5200 View Post
    alloy rim wheels are generally less expensive and typically brake better. i ride dura ace c-24's which are a hybrid design. only reason to get carbon is a desire to look cool and a desire to buy more expensive brake pads, complain a little and wind up getting disc brakes

I ride C24s as well. Picked them specifically for the alloy brake track, but still is a nice light climbing wheel. I tried some carbon wheels a few years ago and got a scare descending in the rain. I mostly ride in the mountains and braking is critical for me on descents. I don't get paid to ride, nor do I ride enough to perfect my braking on carbon rims.

My lifestyle and my family's lifestyle depends on me coming home at the end of the ride without my body wrapped around a tree (although I do have a decent life insurance policy LOL!). Maybe it's in my head, but I feel more confident descending on the C24s with the alloy brake track. I will gladly give up 1 or even 2 or 3 MPH for that peace of mind.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by redbirdone View Post
    I ride C24s as well. Picked them specifically for the alloy brake track, but still is a nice light climbing wheel. I tried some carbon wheels a few years ago and got a scare descending in the rain. I mostly ride in the mountains and braking is critical for me on descents. I don't get paid to ride, nor do I ride enough to perfect my braking on carbon rims.

My lifestyle and my family's lifestyle depends on me coming home at the end of the ride without my body wrapped around a tree (although I do have a decent life insurance policy LOL!). Maybe it's in my head, but I feel more confident descending on the C24s with the alloy brake track. I will gladly give up 1 or even 2 or 3 MPH for that peace of mind.
    me too. i'm not the world's best descender, far from it , but my gut feeling is 2-3 mph overstates it. c-24's price point is as much as i was willing to spend.
    m

RoadBikeReview Member
    C-24s ftw...
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post
    Are they really necessary and do they add any speed?
    Average Joe Blow, how much speed does he/she really gain?
    No. Yes. Depends on power.

RoadBikeReview Member
    You can get aero wheels with an aluminum brake track, though usually not as lightweight as a full carbon wheel. Do they make you faster? In some ways sure, but if you are putting around at 15 mph the difference likely wonít be enough to notice though Iíve heard arguements that they help slower riders more in terms of absolute time or something to that effect. Iíve been riding a set of HED jet 5s for about 4 years now and I would never go back to low profile wheels. The set of full carbon wheels I have my eyes on (though no particular hurry to spend on) would drop the weight by 300+ grams. Iíve ridden them on my dads bike and the dry braking seemed fine. If itís raining I typically donít ride. Yesterday was only the second in the last 4 years that I got caught in the rain.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    They look so much cooler then anything else.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by redbirdone View Post

I would rationalize the purchase of a a hydraulic disc road frame using the same reasoning. It's an investment in your continued lifestyle. Do iiiiiit!!
    "That pretty much sums it up. I'm 43 and my max is ~178-180. If that HR chart was mine or Froome's, we'd be on the verge of death. But for you it probably looks like a normal workout." -TLG

LOLOLOL

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I am from the people should ride whatever they want school of thought. Everyone else should learn to be ok with other people's choices and just enjoy riding their own bike in my opinion. The benefits of carbon wheels, frames, electronic shifting, etc. depend on what your goals and preferences are. If you are a crit racer or time trialist, aero carbon wheels might matter more to you, if you compete in hill climbs or chase KOMs, you might prefer that lightweight frame, etc. It's a subjective thing. Nothing wrong going in either direction. Carry on....

The New Rules of Cycling: AKA Philuminati ‚Äď Phil Gaimon
    Last edited by Rashadabd; 1 Week Ago at 02:32 PM.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

Proud luddite
    Carbon rims are for Freds. I ride with carbon tires! Once you get used to the difference in the way they handle youíll never go back.

Darling of The Lounge
    I love my first generation Spinergy carbon wheel and have just three fingers left to prove it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Well I have 22 gears and electric shifting and I'm slower than when I had 12 gears and downtube friction shifters. Hmm.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    The same question can be asked on any type of consumer goods. You don't need BMWs and Mercs, you don't need Hugo Boss or Giorgio Armani. YOu could all be driving 20 year old Oldsmobiles and Dodge Neons wearing $5 no name T shirts.

It's called capitalism and consumerism. Nothing new. Been around for decades.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Good one Trek..good stuff...lol.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by threefire View Post
    The same question can be asked on any type of consumer goods. You don't need BMWs and Mercs, you don't need Hugo Boss or Giorgio Armani. YOu could all be driving 20 year old Oldsmobiles and Dodge Neons wearing $5 no name T shirts.

It's called capitalism and consumerism. Nothing new. Been around for decades.
    That's called binary thinking. You are guilty.

Can have a carbon frameset, carbon handlebar, carbon crank but no carbon wheels.
    Goldielocks lives.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm a fan of box section aluminum rims.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    I don't need my carbon frame, carbon fork, carbon bar, carbon stem, carbon seatpost, carbon pedals, carbon saddle and seat rails, carbon bottle cages, or carbon wheels. But, here's the thing... I like them. Every time go for a ride, that bike makes me smile.

And, before you say "How sad you need all that to be happy on the bike..." I also love riding my 1x11 and my old Klein single speed. Punch line: Ride what makes you happy.

For Rent
    I have the same metal rims I've had for the past 11 years. Carbon is overrated and overpriced IMO

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Davoosie View Post
    I have the same metal rims I've had for the past 11 years. Carbon is overrated and overpriced IMO
    That's fantastic. But, depending on which carbon hoops the op is talking about, they definitely can add speed which is variable to how much power the rider is generating. Whether a piece of equipment is worth it or not is why these threads trudge on and on and on.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Every Bicycle I see nowadays has Carbon rims.
    Really? Every one? You must ride in a very upscale neighborhood. I see lots of aluminum rims (including all the ones on my bikes).

I don't think anyone "needs" a four or five thousand dollar bicycle, but if someone opts to spend their money that way (which ain't none of my business), it probably makes a certain kind of sense to buy expensive wheels, for the consistent look if for no other reason.
    Have you ever been to Electric Ladyland?

RoadBikeReview Member
    only reason to get carbon is a desire to look cool and a desire to buy more expensive brake pads. . .
    My take is carbon tubular wheels are nice as they then to be insanely light. Carbon clinchers I don't get (I even have a pair of 202 clinchers), as they aren't really light at all compared to a nice aluminum wheel set like say a Campy Shamal.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post
    Every Bicycle I see nowadays has Carbon rims.
    Wow you must live in a rich area. I wouldn't say I see quite 50% of every bicycle.

Are they really necessary and do they add any speed?
    Nothing is necessary. They're nice for climbing steep hills though.

Keep in mind, the cost of carbon wheels has come down. Bikes in the $4k range are coming with carbon wheels nowadays.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast