Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Have we all been Flamboozled ?

5K views 53 replies 38 participants last post by  dnice 
#1 ·
I mean I know there are a few select riders in every town USA that can benefit from certain components but what about the rest of us slugs?

Every Bicycle I see nowadays has Carbon rims. Are they really necessary and do they add any speed?

I can remember my LBS telling me 6 years ago that I could instantly add 1mph average by simply installing these type wheels.

I remember thinking he was full of crap but now I see them everywhere.

They really aren't much lighter in most cases.

Average Joe Blow, how much speed does he/she really gain?

#40 ·
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to jetdog9 again.

#3 ·
Have yet to bother owning a pair of carbon rims. Never really wanted to buy a set either.

I do laugh whenever someone shows up on Tour De Nebraska with 60-80mm zoot carbon rims.....they learn the error of their ways very quickly about our gusty surface winds.

#4 ·
alloy rim wheels are generally less expensive and typically brake better. i ride dura ace c-24's which are a hybrid design. only reason to get carbon is a desire to look cool and a desire to buy more expensive brake pads, complain a little and wind up getting disc brakes

#5 ·
I ride C24s as well. Picked them specifically for the alloy brake track, but still is a nice light climbing wheel. I tried some carbon wheels a few years ago and got a scare descending in the rain. I mostly ride in the mountains and braking is critical for me on descents. I don't get paid to ride, nor do I ride enough to perfect my braking on carbon rims.

My lifestyle and my family's lifestyle depends on me coming home at the end of the ride without my body wrapped around a tree (although I do have a decent life insurance policy LOL!). Maybe it's in my head, but I feel more confident descending on the C24s with the alloy brake track. I will gladly give up 1 or even 2 or 3 MPH for that peace of mind.

#9 ·
You can get aero wheels with an aluminum brake track, though usually not as lightweight as a full carbon wheel. Do they make you faster? In some ways sure, but if you are putting around at 15 mph the difference likely won’t be enough to notice though I’ve heard arguements that they help slower riders more in terms of absolute time or something to that effect. I’ve been riding a set of HED jet 5s for about 4 years now and I would never go back to low profile wheels. The set of full carbon wheels I have my eyes on (though no particular hurry to spend on) would drop the weight by 300+ grams. I’ve ridden them on my dads bike and the dry braking seemed fine. If it’s raining I typically don’t ride. Yesterday was only the second in the last 4 years that I got caught in the rain.

#12 · (Edited)
I am from the people should ride whatever they want school of thought. Everyone else should learn to be ok with other people's choices and just enjoy riding their own bike in my opinion. The benefits of carbon wheels, frames, electronic shifting, etc. depend on what your goals and preferences are. If you are a crit racer or time trialist, aero carbon wheels might matter more to you, if you compete in hill climbs or chase KOMs, you might prefer that lightweight frame, etc. It's a subjective thing. Nothing wrong going in either direction. Carry on....

The New Rules of Cycling: AKA Philuminati – Phil Gaimon

#39 ·
I'm with you on this. What ever floats your boat. I won't judge people. Do what brings you joy.

#16 ·
The same question can be asked on any type of consumer goods. You don't need BMWs and Mercs, you don't need Hugo Boss or Giorgio Armani. YOu could all be driving 20 year old Oldsmobiles and Dodge Neons wearing $5 no name T shirts.

It's called capitalism and consumerism. Nothing new. Been around for decades.

#20 ·
I don't need my carbon frame, carbon fork, carbon bar, carbon stem, carbon seatpost, carbon pedals, carbon saddle and seat rails, carbon bottle cages, or carbon wheels. But, here's the thing... I like them. Every time go for a ride, that bike makes me smile.

And, before you say "How sad you need all that to be happy on the bike..." I also love riding my 1x11 and my old Klein single speed. Punch line: Ride what makes you happy.

#21 ·
I have the same metal rims I've had for the past 11 years. Carbon is overrated and overpriced IMO

#23 ·
Every Bicycle I see nowadays has Carbon rims.
Really? Every one? You must ride in a very upscale neighborhood. I see lots of aluminum rims (including all the ones on my bikes).

I don't think anyone "needs" a four or five thousand dollar bicycle, but if someone opts to spend their money that way (which ain't none of my business), it probably makes a certain kind of sense to buy expensive wheels, for the consistent look if for no other reason.

#25 ·
Every Bicycle I see nowadays has Carbon rims.
Wow you must live in a rich area. I wouldn't say I see quite 50% of every bicycle.

Are they really necessary and do they add any speed?
Nothing is necessary. They're nice for climbing steep hills though.

Keep in mind, the cost of carbon wheels has come down. Bikes in the $4k range are coming with carbon wheels nowadays.

#26 ·
People buy them because they like how they look. Numerous studies have shown from a watts saved per dollar perspective, aero wheels are one of the least effective enhancements cyclists can invest in. IMO, deep section carbon wheels are inferior to low profile alloy wheels in almost every way: they're much more expensive, offer worse braking, are harder to control in cross winds, often ride more harshly and are more prone to failure through delamination.

Prices are plummeting and performance is getting better, but it remains a fashion thing to me.

Note: I've owned deep section carbon wheels in the past but went back to low profile alloy wheels.

#30 ·
Unsprung weight ???????????. That might be a positive if road bikes actually had front and rear suspensions but since 99.9% don't have anything you could call a suspension system, unsprung weight not the best argument for them. Weight, rotational mass, acceleration; yeah I'll buy those.

#50 ·
Because insurance got too expensive. And reverse justification from there.

FWIW - I have alloy wheels from them. Really happy with the wheel set. I would buy from them again. I recommend their wheel builds.

But, I found that whole reasoning they put out about why they longer sold their carbon wheels a bit disingenuous. Go read their blogs. It started with insurance getting too expensive.

#35 ·
I see carbon every once in awhile when riding around but it could be the Bicycling Mag. guys/gals. It certainly is not 'everybody' in Emmaus PA. With that said I love my Shamal's Except I bought them used locally and they are the 2-way fit version. They are the one of the hardest rims to fit a tire to. I usually put new tires on w/o tubes over night so they stretch a little so I can get them on with tubes and just hands. It took me longer then it should have to realize that no tire irons during install is they way to go if I don't want to have a damaged inner-tube.

#37 ·
I have an aero Felt, With carbon wheels DT Swiss 240 hubs , With the whole package I decimate Most everyone on Downhills. I'm talking about when everybody is tucked in and Coasting. I am one up of the slowest riders on the Saturday morning shop group ride, But get me a little tail wind a little slice of a downgrade And I can catch back up. That being said there is no Better equalizer than saddle time. But I'll still Believe that all of the little improvements add up.

#41 ·
If you carry your wallet on your rides, it makes that lighter too. Win-win! :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.