RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010

Have you ever seen a Wheel hub split Campy Neutrons

I have been cycling 40 years, I think I have seen almost everything, this happened going down a mountain pass thoughtI had broken a spoke
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Have you ever seen a Wheel hub split Campy Neutrons-0310171547.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    Nope, never seen anything like that.

How much time/mileage on that hub? Was it a stock wheel? Custom build or rebuild? Recently worked on?

Adorable Furry Hombre
    What year hub? Did the crack go through the hub, or only just the plastic shell? Least I thought the plastic outer layer was just a non load bearing cover...

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    never been worked on, thought they were bullet proof, to my knowledge they were campy machine made

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    What year hub? Did the crack go through the hub, or only just the plastic shell? Least I thought the plastic outer layer was just a non load bearing cover...
    This is the first iteration of the Neutron with an alloy hub. I have them.

The current "Ultra" has a different shell and flange setup. I have them too.

Not sure the age but could be up to 15 years?

Fatigue?
    We just don’t realize the most significant moments of our lives when they’re happening
    Back then I thought “well there'll be other days”
    I didn’t realize that was the only day
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9yrupye7B0

There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?
    One.
    So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I have a set of Eurus also think it has the same hub, does help on confidence level!

I have an email into Campy I will post what they say

Had an issue a couple of years ago w a Velocity rim potato chipping on me got hurt pretty bad, there is a post on this site where the President of co got involved, he asked the rider in a scolding fashion why he did not contact Velocity 1st instead of complaining on RBR, he was really asking if anybody had the same problem like I did, so I contacted them they sent me a questionnare 1 Were the wheels custom built 2. were they machine built and something else, once they found out they were custom built they never even Replied back!
    F Velocity!

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerjulio View Post
    This is the first iteration of the Neutron with an alloy hub. I have them.

The current "Ultra" has a different shell and flange setup. I have them too.

Not sure the age but could be up to 15 years?

Fatigue?
    They looked like my ca. 2006 Zonda set I bought forever ago and retired.
    "‘Photograph me on horseback,’ wrote Teddy Roosevelt in 1908. ‘Tennis, no. And golf is fatal.’ "

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Your Zonda's cracked like that?

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by pescarr View Post
    Your Zonda's cracked like that?
    Naw, After 10 years of faithful service the rear was cold-set off true and nothing could true them. Damn G3 spoking.
    "‘Photograph me on horseback,’ wrote Teddy Roosevelt in 1908. ‘Tennis, no. And golf is fatal.’ "

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    What do you mean by cold set?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Plastic shell? You can see the axle in the picture. Traditional hubs have a flange that is drilled for the spokes, but these hubs use direct pull spokes that connect to the hub shell (no flange). In a traditional hub, the spoke forces are on the flange but in this design the forces are in the hub shell. When there is high stress or a manufacturing failure (e.g. grain lines in the metal) this will be the failure mode.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Good call, so you would tend to believe this is common problem with their hubs?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Good call, so you would tend to believe this is common problem with their hubs?
    I've been using Campy equipment for a long time, and active in the forums for a long time also, and yours is the first ever case I've come across like this.

So no, it's far from being a common problem.
    We just don’t realize the most significant moments of our lives when they’re happening
    Back then I thought “well there'll be other days”
    I didn’t realize that was the only day
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9yrupye7B0

There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?
    One.
    So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I had just been doing close to 50 mph when it happened could have been catastrophic

Bianchi-Campagnolo
    Aluminium fatigue, probably. These are rather old wheels.
    I have two sets with the same hubs, a 2003 Eurus and a ~2005 Nucleon.

Cold set: You mean galvanic corrosion "welding" two different metals together?
    They do anything just to win a salami in ridiculous races. I take my gear out of the car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of those lives shocks me. It was the illest of times, it was the dopest of times. And we looked damn good. Actually the autobus broke down somewhere on the Mortirolo.

xxl
    Quote Originally Posted by kbwh View Post
    Aluminium fatigue, probably. These are rather old wheels.
    I have two sets with the same hubs, a 2003 Eurus and a ~2005 Nucleon.

Cold set: You mean galvanic corrosion "welding" two different metals together?
    I think he means work-hardened; as I understand it, it's when the crystalline (?) structure of the metal becomes distorted due to force(s) on the metal--e.g., the bending of a coat hanger; the force of bending compresses the structure on one side, and this cannot be uncompressed through "re-bending," so the coat hanger will never be like it was before.
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    yeah, that makes sense!

I will not comment on our Reality star leader, but this cabinet makes no sense!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    What do you mean by cold set?
    Cold set in common usage means "bent without heat." So you can cold set a steel frame to widen the rear triangle. Cold set aluminum is usually a dangerous situation because when you bend it, you damage it (unlike steel). A cold set aluminum rim would be out of round or out of true when you removed the spokes. To build such a rim into a round and true wheel you might see significant variations in spoke tension.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Remember back in the day you could bend steel rear triangle to accommodate 6,7 and 8 spds. People used to use a 2"x4" if they didn't have the park or Campy tool! I had a aluminum boat that would not fit in my garage, I took it apart and took the aluminum I-Beams it to a trailer builder and he warned me that it may break, but would do it while they were rebending, he went on to day I would be alright after that, if it made it thru the rebending