Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

Health jealousy?

Are unhealthy people jealous of healthy people? Is that why motorists honk and threaten cyclists? Just wondering about your opinions!

RoadBikeReview Member
    I don't think it's healthy versus not when dealing with motorists. Humans have a herd mentality, when you're not in a car you're different, and motorists perceive you in a different inhuman way. The same motorists who piss and moan about you slowing them down will sit patiently at a rail crossing or a behind a slow moving truck because in their world that is acceptable. With that being said, most of the folks I've seen honk or shout something at me while riding appear to be of the overweight variety, but most of the population is overweight now, so I guess it's not really a factor.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by haendelbars View Post
    Are unhealthy people jealous of healthy people? Is that why motorists honk and threaten cyclists? Just wondering about your opinions!
    No. I think motorist honk etc...for various reasons none of which have to do with them being jealous of health. I just saw a large male (220lbs+) riding in pink shoes, blue cut off lycra shorts (no chamois) and a lime green lycra tank top which was way to small. His man boobs were falling out the sides and his cottage cheese legs were disgusting. All I could think of was no wonder motorist want to run us over. I wanted to run him over for heavens sake!

Anphaque II
    Aug 2010

Up here in the PNW people are more or less patient with cyclists. Especially compared to my old stomping grounds S. Cal.

They're just in a hurry and see us as objects that are in their way to where they're going.
    America's greatest threat: Congressional liberal Democrats

Crimes Against Humanity: The History of The Democrat Party

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by woodys737 View Post
    No. I think motorist honk etc...for various reasons none of which have to do with them being jealous of health. I just saw a large male (220lbs+) riding in pink shoes, blue cut off lycra shorts (no chamois) and a lime green lycra tank top which was way to small. His man boobs were falling out the sides and his cottage cheese legs were disgusting. All I could think of was no wonder motorist want to run us over. I wanted to run him over for heavens sake!
    Are you really that judgmental? He's out riding; good for him.

The Cube
    I can see where the OP is coming from, somewhat. People who aren't in good shape have many reasons for not being so. However, thay may be made to feel as though the reason is they are lazy or weak, (which may or may not be true of each individual.) A cyclist may be a pretty "in your face" example of someone who a person may perceive as having the luxury of time and money needed to improve their health. While this is not nearly as true of most of us as a lot of non-cyclists may think, it may well be the perception. Catch that person on the wrong moment of the wrong day, and maybe they lash out a bit at what they consider something of a health bully?

Or, if you're in Wisconsin, remember that the angry motorist is likely hung over if its before noon, or drunk if its after 5 pm.
    K$

Baltic Scum
    Shoot - I was wondering how close my man Woody had to get in order to figure out that the big guy's shorts did not have a chamois...
    Was juckt es die stolze Eiche, wenn sich ein Schwein an ihr kratzt?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by seeborough View Post
    Shoot - I was wondering how close my man Woody had to get in order to figure out that the big guy's shorts did not have a chamois...
    LOL! Yeah it was weird man. It looked like he cut up some sort of generic lycra tights as the seam around his legs was pretty ragged. Great he was out there but good lord have some respect for your fellow cyclist.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Is that why motorists honk and threaten cyclists?
    Maybe this will help explain it

Why do people hate cyclists? - YouTube

Endurance Cyclist
    Mar 2012
    I just think motorists honk and yell because cyclists tend to cause a couple of second delay in the flow of traffic.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I just take it as good-natured kidding. Like when I enter the schoolroom with another outdoorsy person and the teacher announces "Arrivano i bronzati." Maybe a little jealous but no big deal.

PhotonFreak
    IMO it has to do with the fact that a lot of people when driving "space out" and anything that delays them even for an inconsequential amount of time takes them out of their "zone" annoys them.

It's not even about the actual amount of time it takes to get from point A to point B as it is a perception of going fast.

For example, I've had cars get bent out of shape and honk at me and/or tailgate when I'm driving my vehicle and decide to coasting to a red light, rather than staying on the gas and slamming on the brakes at the last second.

Once I had a guy taigate me then pass me in dramatic fashion accelerating to well over the limit, only to slam on the brakes at a red light. By the time it turned green, I caught up to him and since he was stopped, re-passed him. This same exact thing played out again at the next 3 consective lights. I basically maitnained an almost constant speed (slightly below the nominal speed limit) and the other guy burned 8x as much gas by alternating between going 10 over and 0 and wasn't actually going any faster in reality.

I think in a few situations with roadies in particular there's also elements of class-envy, ie a perception that guys on $2000+ bikes are spoiled rich boys flaunting their expensive toys and slowing down people who have to work for a living... ironically the people complaining most vocally about tend to be the drivers towing a $25k boat behind a $45k truck.
    Last edited by PhotonFreak; 04-10-2012 at 01:02 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    The bogans in my neck of the woods couldn't give a **** about healthy. They think it's cool to drink and smoke and eat takeaway. So, I don't think they're jealous.

A good portion of drivers perceive cyclists as being freeloaders, who don't pay rego(motor registration). The media exacerbates the situation by running stories blaming cyclists for all sorts of traffic problems and then running these silly polls 'should cyclists pay rego' etc.

I say 'bring it on. Lets pay rego'. And when I'm paying my bike rego along with my car rego and other riders in my club, some of whom own and register trucks and even a few taxis, pay their bike rego. Guess where I'll be riding? No, not over on the left(I'm Australian) amongst all the gravel and rough ****. But in the centre of the road, just like all other rego payers.

So there!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    I think it's more about the anonymity drivers have behind the wheel. Reminds me of the Internet.

RoadBikeReview Member
    At times it seems they honk in encouragement...at least that's what I like to think...

Endurance Cyclist
    Mar 2012
    I hate the honks of encouragement, and the warning honks as well. I hate the people who slow to a crawl as they pass and then floor it (thus emitting a nice volume of exhaust) once they are by.

Generally I just dislike cars in general, even when I am driving.

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by The Merckxcruiser View Post
    Guess where I'll be riding? No, not over on the left(I'm Australian) amongst all the gravel and rough ****. But in the centre of the road, just like all other rego payers.
    Why? At least around here, that's one of the things that really (and rightfully) pisses people off. I understand that sometimes there are valid reasons for riding in the center of the road, but I wouldn't consider rego-paying one of them.

/w
    Last edited by wim; 04-10-2012 at 05:47 AM.

I ride in circles..
    I find that unhealthy people can be very jealous of healthy people.. Not talking about uncontrollable health though. However I don't think it relates directly to vehicle aggression and jackassness.
    ~ Long Live Long Rides~

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by torch511 View Post
    I hate the honks of encouragement, and the warning honks as well. I hate the people who slow to a crawl as they pass and then floor it (thus emitting a nice volume of exhaust) once they are by.
    We have a lot of diesel-powered cars, tradesman's vans, and campers over here in Europe. Definitely agree with you about belching clouds of noxious smoke when they accelerate. Worse still are the campers on long climbs in the mountains- if one gets in front of you grinding along at the same speed you're pedaling, it is a slow painful death.

Darling of The Lounge
    I have to admit that I harbor a degree of rider jealously when I drive. This is especially true when the weather is perfect and I see cyclists on the roads and either I am going to work or running errands.

Maybe it is more of a case of envy.

Heads Up Display Investor
    Many unhealthy people don't believe they're unhealthy to begin with, so that theory does not hold too much water. How many obese individuals have you met that say, "Oh I have 25 lb to lose...." And it's more like 125 lb? How about undiagnosed diabetics or at risk high blood pressure individuals walking clueless country wide?

rearviewmirror's observations on a "herd mentality" is honourable amongst motorists. Drivers panic behind motorcycles and cyclists it seems. Many motorists can't judge speeds and distances very well trailing them either. The honking could be to alert the cyclists of their position coming up from behind them too, like a warning. The yelling out the windows at cyclists stems from many drivers being ill-informed on local moving vehicle laws and the right of way. Majority still think a cyclist belongs on sidewalks. In my area the city bus drivers are out to kill cyclists. There have been some serious side swipes by city buses in this area, but oddly few criminal charges against the bus drivers. At one time it was actually ironic because there was a summer campaign with bus billboards advertising information on the 3 foot rule to pass cyclists. I remember opening up a local newspaper here seeing a bus with hazard lights on, a cyclist down and that advertisement on the back of it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Motorists are thinking of everything but health when they threaten.
    I ride mostly in the honorable pursuit of being kissed on both cheeks at the same time by one blond and one brunette. But not redheads, they scare me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bike981 View Post
    Are you really that judgmental? He's out riding; good for him.
    +1

The guy could have made a better choice in attire but the effort trumps the style.
    I ride mostly in the honorable pursuit of being kissed on both cheeks at the same time by one blond and one brunette. But not redheads, they scare me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by wim View Post
    Why? At least around here, that's one of the things that really (and rightfully) pisses people off. I understand that sometimes there are valid reasons for riding in the center of the road, but I wouldn't consider rego-paying one of them.

/w
    How could you think my comment was serious?

Just thought I'd mimic the attitudes of some of the people who share their road with me.
    Last edited by The Merckxcruiser; 04-10-2012 at 06:56 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I always look at people eating salads with discontent...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast