Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    13

    hello; new to forum

    Hello! This is my first post so I figured I'd say hello to the peeps here!
    Bear with me, I'm sure I'll have tons of questions that will probably seem silly to some of you, but its all pretty greek to me! Like what shifter works with what derailleur, etc.

    Thanks, Brad

  2. #2
    Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Reputation: SPlKE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,631
    Hello Brad. Welcome.

    This forum is a great resource for information about all aspects of cycling.

    There are lots of good ongoing discussions, some sort of heated discussions, about newer topics like disc brakes and wider tires on road bikes.

    But even more valuable is the search function which puts enormous amounts of general cycling and wrenching information from past discussions at your fingertips. Generally, using the search is a great way to learn the basics -- tire pressure, maintenance questions, mechanical questions, etc.

    Also, you'll find regional forums, the Lounge for non-cycling discussions, and a Politics forum.

  3. #3
    WA outdoor enthusiast
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    1,275
    Cycling components and brand compatibility can get pretty complicated if you build your own bike from the frame/fork. Buying from a good bike shop is usually the best way to 'get it right' for newer cyclists, whether it's previously owned or brand new.

    Tons of advice (some good, some questionable) on this Forum for those working on their own machines. Good tools are the right beginning for a home workshop.

  4. #4
    Russian Troll Farmer
    Reputation: No Time Toulouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    975
    Any similar-speed shifter (except Campagnolo and some Dura-Ace) will work with any non-Campagnolo-D/A cassette, with few exceptions. Campagnolo only works with Campagnolo, with few exceptions. Shimano 7 and 8 speed are sotra-compatible. 9 and 10 speed are quite similar, 11 speed is not. Most non-Campy shifters work with any non-Campy derailleurs, except for some D/A, and maybe older derailleurs that don't have enough travel. A few more exceptions exist....

    Got it? Any more questions?
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    13
    Yep I've got a couple more but I'll start a fresh post for that one!
    Thanks

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,514
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    Hello Brad. Welcome.

    This forum is a great resource for information about all aspects of cycling.

    There are lots of good ongoing discussions, some sort of heated discussions, about newer topics like disc brakes and wider tires on road bikes.
    And let's not forget about heated arguments about which chain lube is best.

    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    But even more valuable is the search function which puts enormous amounts of general cycling and wrenching information from past discussions at your fingertips. Generally, using the search is a great way to learn the basics -- tire pressure, maintenance questions, mechanical questions, etc.
    Sometimes yes, sometimes no. The search function does have its flaws here and doesn't always catch what you want even if it's there. I think more helpful is to read the stickies in each forum.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

    "Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

    "Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger



  7. #7
    Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Reputation: SPlKE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,631
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    And let's not forget about heated arguments about which chain lube is best.
    (Record-scratching SKRRRRT sound.) It was decided many times over, and agreed upon by all parties in the discussions, that ProLink is the best chain lube... that nothing else, even homebrew chain lube, comes close to the long-lasting lubrication and protection provided by ProLink. ProLink... it's what chains need.


    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post

    Sometimes yes, sometimes no. The search function does have its flaws here and doesn't always catch what you want even if it's there. I think more helpful is to read the stickies in each forum.
    I know all about the limitation of the search function here. I was just saying how great the search function is, in case cxwrench was viewing this thread. I didn't want to get yelled at.

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,514
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    (Record-scratching SKRRRRT sound.) It was decided many times over, and agreed upon by all parties in the discussions, that ProLink is the best chain lube... that nothing else, even homebrew chain lube, comes close to the long-lasting lubrication and protection provided by ProLink. ProLink... it's what chains need.
    What??? No @#$%^&* way!!!!! My homebrew can kick your ProLink's @$$!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    I know all about the limitation of the search function here. I was just saying how great the search function is, in case cxwrench was viewing this thread. I didn't want to get yelled at.
    It's more like the OP who would get yelled at by CXWrench. Note to OP: Never use the word "brifter" here or post in the wrong forum, or CXWrench will become irate. However, you can usually make it up to him with a six pack of good craft beer or a nice back rub.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

    "Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

    "Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger



  9. #9
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Reputation: old_fuji's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,559
    Brifter.
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

  10. #10
    Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Reputation: SPlKE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,631
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    What??? No @#$%^&* way!!!!! My homebrew can kick your ProLink's @$$!!!



    It's more like the OP who would get yelled at by CXWrench. Note to OP: Never use the word "brifter" here or post in the wrong forum, or CXWrench will become irate. However, you can usually make it up to him with a six pack of good craft beer or a nice back rub.
    BRIFTER! Hah. Bring it on, cx.

    Also, I run my tires at the maximum pressure recommended by the manufacturer, because it makes me go faster! Fact. 175 psi.

    As for the craft beer and back rub, I assume a person would have to shave cx's back first. No thanks.

  11. #11
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,514
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    BRIFTER! Hah. Bring it on, cx.
    Shhhhh, you'll wake him up.

    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    Also, I run my tires at the maximum pressure recommended by the manufacturer, because it makes me go faster! Fact. 175 psi.
    Oh yeah? I run my tires at 10 PSI front/20 PSI rear. Sooooo soft and comfy.

    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    As for the craft beer and back rub, I assume a person would have to shave cx's back first. No thanks.
    Yep, it's part of the deal.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

    "Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

    "Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger



  12. #12
    Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Reputation: SPlKE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,631
    Birdley, you're probably wondering if Trek makes good bikes.

    The answer is yes, when Trek was making bikes for Greg LeMond.

    Best color? That's easy. Orange.

  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    Birdley, you're probably wondering if Trek makes good bikes.


    Best color? That's easy. Orange.
    Bummer! Mines red...

  14. #14
    Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Reputation: SPlKE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,631
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdley123 View Post
    Bummer! Mines red...
    Close enough.

  15. #15
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,514
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    Close enough.
    Agreed. Orange and red bikes are faster than other colors.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

    "Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

    "Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger



  16. #16
    Pooped a refrigerator.
    Reputation: SauronHimself's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    6,725
    Be sure to use the search function and post topics in the appropriate subforums. Otherwise, cxwrench will have an aneurysm.
    Ghurarmu shirkush’ agh azgushu. Zant ya apakurizak. Gűl-n’ anakhizak.

  17. #17
    Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Reputation: SPlKE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,631
    Quote Originally Posted by SauronHimself View Post
    Be sure to use the search function and post topics in the appropriate subforums. Otherwise, cxwrench will have an aneurysm.
    Depending on the severity of the infraction, cxwrench sometimes just has a conniption.

Similar Threads

  1. New to the forum, Hello!
    By johnscott311 in forum Orbea
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-16-2009, 07:58 PM
  2. Hello!! New to forum....custom bike suggestions?
    By mikki in forum Bikes, Frames and Forks
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 05-08-2007, 11:19 AM
  3. Hello, First time poster, new to forum,
    By bvx kurt in forum Bikes, Frames and Forks
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-05-2007, 04:59 PM
  4. Hello to New Forum
    By KeeponTrekkin in forum New York - New Jersey
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-24-2005, 03:22 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •