Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2018

Hello Everyone! Donna Here

I am a virtual assistant and just started cycling for focusing on my health & fitness so, I would consider myself as a beginner. I would require a lot of inspiration and tips because I know how lazy I am when it comes to workout😅.
    Cheers & love to every community member 😍

RoadBikeReview Member
    Hi Donna and welcome to RBR!

Glad to hear you are starting cycling. Don't know what to do about "inspiration" and "laziness". Personal trainer to cattle prod you? Or maybe find a very fit significant other?
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Curious what a virtual assistant is?

What Lombard said...high incompatibility between lazy and working out...root word being work.
    Gotta love it in other words.

Good luck

RoadBikeReview Member
    One of the great things about cycling compared to other ways of "working out" is that it's FUN. You move, you go places, you see things, you can feel like a little kid again. Compared to doing almost ANYTHING in a gym it's a blast.

So my advice for motivation is to emphasize the fun part. Work on finding interesting routes, vary them frequently, and try to enjoy every ride. The "workout" and the improving fitness will just happen along the way.
    Have you ever been to Electric Ladyland?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    One of the great things about cycling compared to other ways of "working out" is that it's FUN. You move, you go places, you see things, you can feel like a little kid again. Compared to doing almost ANYTHING in a gym it's a blast.

So my advice for motivation is to emphasize the fun part. Work on finding interesting routes, vary them frequently, and try to enjoy every ride. The "workout" and the improving fitness will just happen along the way.
    Well said.

Find a time to ride that works for you to be able to take the time to enjoy the ride.
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Don’t sign up for strava, it can take all the fun out of cycling.

I wouldn’t ride if I didn’t enjoy it. I wish I could ride more actually.

Good luck to you.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post
    Anything done incorrectly "can".
    For many people (tens of millions) Strava adds fun to cycling. In 2017 4.5billion miles were cycled globally by Strava users. So someone is having fun.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post

I wouldn’t ride if I didn’t enjoy it. I wish I could ride more actually.

Good luck to you.
    It can also make it more fun, help you find people to ride with, and new places to ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2018
    Hello Donna,

Long time cyclist but my first post on this forum.

My wife (whos always had a bike to ride) has just recently got into "cycling" in that she now has a road bike and what she now calls a "costume" (padded lycra pants and cycling jersey with biking shoes)

I think the most important thing I can share from this experience of getting my wife into cycling is to make sure you are comfortable. Make sure the bike fits YOU comfortably and that the clothing you wear is something that YOU are comfortable in.

For my wife to be comfortable on her road bike we had to get the handlebars on the road bike way up (her seat is below the height of the handlebar instead of the other way around as typical on a road bike)

This was counter-intuitive to me and my limited experience of setting up bikes but I wanted to make sure she wanted to go riding with me and that it wasn't painful or uncomfortable for her to ride. (Her shoulders dont do well with too much weight supported with her arms)

Same with clothing. She had to find clothing that was comfy to her and she felt good wearing.

She would have never gone if I picked her bike setup and clothing for her ;) So I had to be patient and ask her how she wanted the bike setup and what was comfortable for her.

So make sure your bike fits YOU and are comfortable on your rides.

-Sean

PS. - I disagree with the previous post about STRAVA. For me, I was able to find some group rides in my area and connect with a couple other cyclists in the STRAVA app. I also set goals in it and am encouraged by those other riders when I meet my goals. I understand for some this may not be ideal but its been a great resource for me.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member

^This.^
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

flinty-eyed moderator
    welcome- you may want to look for a local clun to ride with.
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by IamDonna View Post
    Hello! Donna here. I am a virtual assistant... Cheers & love...

Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IamDonna View Post
    I am a virtual assistant and just started cycling for focusing on my health & fitness so, I would consider myself as a beginner. I would require a lot of inspiration and tips because I know how lazy I am when it comes to workout.
    Cheers & love to every community member
    So your a robot like Siri?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    people choose to be lazy.

so, just don't do that.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

Banned forever.....or not
    There WILL be a test...…...at a later date.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Compared to doing almost ANYTHING in a gym it's a blast.
    Maybe you didn't go to the right gym?

Hello Everyone! Donna Here-719pu3li6dl.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2018
    A big LoL, I've never been to a gym
    PS: I like Black Color, not Pink

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2018
    Woahh!! feeling motivated enoughhh

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY View Post
    There WILL be a test...…...at a later date.
    Yeah, on the first group ride!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2018
    I will try my best!!! The rest is history

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2018
    Yes!!! You 've got me, I am Robot Working Remotely

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2018
    Thank you so much!!!! 😊 it's great advice i was looking for

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2018
    Ahannn! I agree with it. Being a beginner i didn't know much about the cycling gears and accessories so, i seek advice from my friend (she is also a cyclist). Being jumping into STRAVA, i want to get hands and routine set so, i can be a potential part of a team. BTW it's good startup advice and definitely, i will follow it. A Big Thanks for it

RoadBikeReview Member

So true!

Bicycling is exactly the right speed to tour a city. Going out for an afternoon the miles add up before you know it. Short rides to the "coffee shop" also enhance overall zest for life.

Clearly superior on the joints than running, football, soccer, baseball, tennis, so is possible well into old age. Life enhanced at 15-25 mph, all systems functioning as nature intended with heightened sensory connection to the physical world. Dogs on the hunt one moment, the next a walk in the park smelling the roses.

There's so much you can do on a bike. The French call it "la petite reine," "the little queen." Indeed. What other machine can you ride a 100 miles, then carry it up three flights of stairs and park it in your living room?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2018
    Thanks, I willl.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast