RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005

Helmet cover for cold riding

I find using one of those elastic helmet covers (mine is a Louis Garneau) is a great way to keep warm in cold weather. Rather than a thick hat under your helmet, the cover (usually some kind of lined lycra with an elastic 'hem' that stretches over the bottom edge of the helmet) keep the cold wind from even reaching your head, and to some extent, your ears. Keep your head warm, and your body stays warm, too.

Below freezing, I do have to put something over my ears.

If it warms up and you want some cooling, it's simple to slip the cover off and they are really compact. The one I have has some reflective graphics and it's about the mass of a single sock.

Don Hanson

Poseur
    I wondered about those but I've been wearing a Turtle Fur fleece balaclava and so far it seems to work well, but it has not gotten really cold here yet. It's the same balaclava I wear under my ski helmet when the weather is really cold.
    I like cats, I just can't finish a whole one by myself.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    Not over, under. I have a couple of cold weather knit caps I wear under my helmet. I pull them over my ears. One of them is a Pearl Izumi microsensor skull cap. The main thing is keeping the old ears warm. Face gets cold also, but the coldest it gets here when I ride is the high 30's or low 40's.

i like whiskey
    I wear a thin LG skull cap under my helmet usually. They also make thin helmet liners for motorcycle helmets. I have a few of those and they work well too.

When it's really cold, I wear a big styro beer cooler over my helmet. That totally keeps the wind out but I lose some aero benefits of my regular helmet.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    What I like about that 'helmet cover' is you don't have to mess with anything extra most of the time. You don't have to dry out your knit cap or your helmet liner thingy and remember to bring it along for your next ride..if you drive to ride.. You don't have to fuss around getting all the wrinkles out of your hat after you pull on the helmet and mess with the fit system if you decide you are too warm.. I just leave the cover on almost all the time in winter..Stick the helmet on and go..No cold wind on your head. Good enough for most winter days above freezing...and I don't ride on icy roads.

Worth a try..you who scoff..they are fairly inexpensive and you don't look nearly so silly as with those odd-ball looking skull-cap with earsflap thingies...

RoadBikeReview Member
    i wear or pack one for cold or rainy long rides. mine has a gortex layer. it makes a big difference (drier, warmer), and easy to pack if i warm up and need ventilation.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004

Wet

Quote Originally Posted by Gnarly 928
    What I like about that 'helmet cover' is you don't have to mess with anything extra most of the time. You don't have to dry out your knit cap or your helmet liner thingy and remember to bring it along for your next ride..if you drive to ride.. You don't have to fuss around getting all the wrinkles out of your hat after you pull on the helmet and mess with the fit system if you decide you are too warm.. I just leave the cover on almost all the time in winter..Stick the helmet on and go..No cold wind on your head. Good enough for most winter days above freezing...and I don't ride on icy roads.

Worth a try..you who scoff..they are fairly inexpensive and you don't look nearly so silly as with those odd-ball looking skull-cap with earsflap thingies...
    The microsensor fabric does not get wet. They are lightweight and you will hardly notice that you are wearing it. I can see about forgetting something, but I ride all my rides out of my house. If you wear something bulky under you helmet, then it gets too snug and will feel uncomfortable. I have another Sugoi cap I wear that is more like a ski cap and I can pull it down way over my ears for the real cold weather. It's 100% polyester, I've had it forever, works well. I think the helmet covers are just for keeping the wind out.

As for now- it hit 70o on the left coast and I saw some riders riding with just shorts and a long sleeve jersey. Winter is holding back a little on us.

Carbon Fiber = Explode!
    Fools! Bell Metro Modular Commuter Helmet.
    '09 Voodoo Wazoo
    '08 Pedal Force RS2
    '06 Raleigh Cadent 5.0
    '01 Trek 4300 MTB
    '93 Norco Nitro MTB Touring
    '88 Schwinn Prelude Fixie
    1 hour of running = 1 hour of wasted time when you could have been riding. - Alaska Mike

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2008
    helemt cover!? really? get a cycling cap with ear flaps or a reg cycling cap and wear a hat over it...way cooler looking
    it's all about looking cool isn't it?
    that or no helmet, just a winter hat like the pro's...i'm seeing Pozzato with his mane sticking out the top...when you wonder what the best option is...look to the pro's they know whats up

RoadBikeReview Member

both

Helmet cover down to 40 or so; lower, add hat or balaclava; colder, wear thicker balaclava.

It's about being warm enough, not looking cool enough. Truth is, cycling clothes all look incredibly dorky by any "normal" standards. Wear what works, and who cares how it looks.

duh...
    Godzilla?

brains?

biker

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Clear packing tape. The thin stuff a couple of inches wide that you use with a "tape gun".

This time each year, I put a couple of pieces of clear strapping tape over the front vents of my helmet to take the air flow off my head.

I leave the back open for ventilation; moisture can escape.

Of course I will wear a cap under my helmet appropriate for the temperature.

Carbon Fiber = Explode!
    Fred, where can I buy the Godzilla. That's an excellent helmet. I'd totally wear that.
    '09 Voodoo Wazoo
    '08 Pedal Force RS2
    '06 Raleigh Cadent 5.0
    '01 Trek 4300 MTB
    '93 Norco Nitro MTB Touring
    '88 Schwinn Prelude Fixie
    1 hour of running = 1 hour of wasted time when you could have been riding. - Alaska Mike

RoadBikeReview Member
    Have to back the LG helmet cover as being a great idea. Way better than tape because you can easily remove teh cover when you get to warm, but later put it back on without the "wet" nasty feel of something cold on your head.
    I commute down into the 10's and 20's and it and a wool balaclave is all i wear up on top and i stay very warm.

Bill

duh...
    Quote Originally Posted by CleavesF
    Fred, where can I buy the Godzilla. That's an excellent helmet. I'd totally wear that.

it's just a helmet cover
    http://www.noginsox.com/Products.html

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by FatTireFred
    The good news is that these haven't caught on yet.

Don't encourage it!

The Cube
    from my hunting background, going to a thin backlava under the helmet was obvious, and effective.
    K$

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005
    When it's under 40, I wear a flowered plastic shower cap over my helmet, 3 for $1 at the dollar store.