Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

Helmet makers should also push mirrors

I've been using a cycling mirror for over 30 years, and interesting I don't see more riders using them, especially on group rides.

You wouldn't think of driving your car without a rear-view mirrow, so why not on a bicycle. It's a vehicle, and your on the street with traffic. Once you've used one, you won't go back.

I even use the mirror when I time trial! I'm only racing against myself, so what's the diff!

Here are some pics of my old glasses mount mirror adapted to my helmet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Helmet makers should also push mirrors-adapted-helmut-mirror.jpg  
    My 1996 Miata is my other "road bike"

Sluggo
    Yeah, good luck with that. I'm not disagreeing with you. In fact, I use that very same mirror on my glasses. Wouldn't think of leaving home without them. What I am saying is that if you think resistance to wearing a helmet is high, just add that a mirror comes along as a bonus. Sales will nose dive.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I always ride with a mirror on my helmet. It allows me to see if there are any cars coming before I go around junk that's on the road. I'm not as inventive as you are. I have a mirror that is velcroed to my helmet.
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

Master debator.
    I would, but I generally am used to turning my head. Been doing it on the cycle and bicycle my whole life, checking the blind spot before I move over. FWIW I am usually better at holding a straight line when I look back, many people swerve.
    I'm not against a mirror, I would advocate anything that makes the ride safer, I just would not feel like I could rely on it without still turning my head which would make it a moot point.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bikie View Post
    You wouldn't think of driving your car without a rear-view mirrow, so why not on a bicycle.
    I love this analogy. How many square inches of mirror does your car have? Your bike? Why so different?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011

Re: Helmet makers should also push mirrors

Quote Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    I would, but I generally am used to turning my head. Been doing it on the cycle and bicycle my whole life, checking the blind spot before I move over. FWIW I am usually better at holding a straight line when I look back, many people swerve.
    I'm not against a mirror, I would advocate anything that makes the ride safer, I just would not feel like I could rely on it without still turning my head which would make it a moot point.
    Agree with this. But did try a bar end mounted mirror and hate it. Only works from one position or constantly adjusting. Then when you get it right you bump it.

I like the idea of a mirror but have not seen one I like. And know very few people that use them to even ask.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    not really a moot point since by law even though having mirrors you still as a driver have the responsibility of looking over you shoulder as well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I prefer to look over my shoulder... maybe I'll change my mind when I get older and less flexible, but for now a mirror is just one more thing that I am likely to break.

Banned forever.....or not
    The day that I feel that i "NEED" a mirror to ride, is the day that I admit that I'm too old and wimpy to ride anymore on the roads.

Next you'll be saying that I need one of those orange safety vests.

If a small mirror is good, a HUGE one must be better........(On both sides)
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yes it is one of those things that make perfect sense but it will not happen soon.
    Something has to be stylish and the "inn" thing for it to make sense to the crowd.
    A mirror looks dorky to them just like a full face helmet and proper clothing looks like to a Harley Davidson rider.
    People would rather have the clean and uncluttered look and swivel their head for hours rather then just flick their eyes to a mirror which can see everything.
    Would you drive your car without mirrors? You could just swivel your head all over the place looking out the windows.

RoadBikeReview Member

Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY View Post
    The day that I feel that i "NEED" a mirror to ride, is the day that I admit that I'm too old and wimpy to ride anymore on the roads.

Next you'll be saying that I need one of those orange safety vests.

If a small mirror is good, a HUGE one must be better........(On both sides)
    I'm thinking of using one on each side. Even out the drag.
    Arguments among misinformed people do not constitute a "debate."
    --Kerry Irons

"Atheism is a religion like not collecting stamps is a hobby."
    --BianchiJoe

Cervelo S3/Dura Ace
    Felt B2Pro/SRAM
    Cannondale CAAD10/105

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2002
    Use one if you choose to. Don't expect others to use one if they choose not to.
    Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Eddy 53:11
    I often wonder where that mirror and mount may go in a crash (my/face eye?)

I would actually rather not see what is behind me anyway. Between scanning the mirror and having it impaled somewhere, I'm not sold.

Creative rig though.
    Live vicariously through yourself.
    There are no physical laws that govern the will.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxattax View Post
    Yeah, good luck with that. I'm not disagreeing with you. In fact, I use that very same mirror on my glasses. Wouldn't think of leaving home without them. What I am saying is that if you think resistance to wearing a helmet is high, just add that a mirror comes along as a bonus. Sales will nose dive.
    IME there are three kinds of mirror users: 1) a small minority that use them effectively, 2) a significant fraction that have mirrors but never seem to look in them, and 3) another significant fraction who are twisting their heads like owls to try to see what is behind them.

Fecal indicator
    I wouldn't use a mirror even if it came free with a helmet...
    eff all y'all...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004

Once something hits you from behind, there is no mirror that will help you get out of the way. The only thing you can do is hold on.

I admire your ingenuity, however I don't know too many cyclist who use mirrors. I think out of my pool of 180 riders, I probably know 2 that use a rear view mirror. I don't use one either.
    With people like Peter P. around, I am done posting on this website. Mean people have driven me off after 9 plus years. Good luck newbies beware.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    Living in Alabama where motorists are still not known as being cyclist friendly, I really appreciate the two guys in one of my weekly rides that use mirrors. Especially when there's 10-12 of us in a paceline on a busy road and hear those words "car back" from towards the rear of the group. I owe these guys beers.

I've been thinking about a mirror lately and this thread has only re-enforced that idea.
    If you're one of these guys that says 'no to mirrors' then I suggest you join a club ride with a few guys that use them. It'll change your perspective.
    Joe

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    I always race with a mirror. How else would I watch my competition as I ride away from them?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012

Re: Helmet makers should also push mirrors

I don't care if people do or don't use mirrors. I use a bar end one and my partner uses a helmet mounted one.

I can tell you though that this past weekend a pitbull would have gotten us if it hadn't been for a mirror. Because of wind and other noise we never would have heard him until he was on us and he wasn't friendly. We managed to out distance him, but he chased for a good while down the road.

Behind on post count
    I've tried them. They are useful for watching traffic without bringing it to a halt because around my parts if you look over your shoulder drivers seem to think you want in front of them right now. I've also used a handlebar end mirror on a large organized ride (STP) to keep an eye on who is behind me so I'm not looking over my shoulder all day. The time they are most useful is every year I ride a lead bike for a local marathon and it's helpful to be able to keep an eye on the runners.

However having a mirror hanging in my field of vision drives me nuts. Both helmet and handlebar mirrors make for one more thing to mess with adjustment-wise before I ride so I only use them for special situations such as above. I have ride buddies who use them because of neck issues so if that happens to me I'll reconsider.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I think you know the answer already, but I'll reply for the others.

Because my mirror is closer (though physically smaller) than a cars mirror, it doesn't need to be the same size. So effectively they are the same size.

Thanks everyone for all the responses.
    My 1996 Miata is my other "road bike"

RoadBikeReview Member

Quote Originally Posted by kbiker3111 View Post
    I always race with a mirror. How else would I watch my competition as I ride away from them?
    ^^^^^^this
    Arguments among misinformed people do not constitute a "debate."
    --Kerry Irons

"Atheism is a religion like not collecting stamps is a hobby."
    --BianchiJoe

Cervelo S3/Dura Ace
    Felt B2Pro/SRAM
    Cannondale CAAD10/105

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
    The absolute number 1 problem I see is IOB's on the wrong side of the road, weaving in and out of traffic by dodging onto the sidewalk for 100 yards at a time. Screw mirrors, it's time to educate Joe Sixpack on how to ride a friggin' bike on the right friggin' side of the road and obey friggin' traffic laws!

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bikie View Post
    I've been using a cycling mirror for over 30 years, and interesting I don't see more riders using them, especially on group rides.

You wouldn't think of driving your car without a rear-view mirrow, so why not on a bicycle. It's a vehicle, and your on the street with traffic. Once you've used one, you won't go back.

I even use the mirror when I time trial! I'm only racing against myself, so what's the diff!

Here are some pics of my old glasses mount mirror adapted to my helmet.
    Wrong...maybe because i grew up racing, but i much prefer to just look. It's not that hard, and i can see everything i need to...not just a tiny square of vibrating mess.
    i work for some bike racers...
    2013 Trek Madone 5.9 w/ '12 SRAM Red
    2010 Cervelo T1 sprint bike
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9
    oh, those belong in another forum

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by headloss View Post
    I prefer to look over my shoulder... maybe I'll change my mind when I get older and less flexible, but for now a mirror is just one more thing that I am likely to break.
    +1 You win the most insightful post!

I attach my mirrors to my cycling glasses with tape. Then I wear contacts. I feel contacts gives me better vision... for everything but reading. I rarely ride very far without a mirror.

The ONLY reason I use a mirror is because I am just not flexible enough to peek around and see behind me. There was a short period last summer when it was hotter than h*** that I was just barely flexible enough and I enjoyed that. I actually rode a couple times without a mirror.

This thread reminds me that I had decided to try to find exercises that would increase my neck flexibly. That might be the best solution.... if that can even be done.
    If I didn't bicycle when the weather is bad... I wouldn't be a cyclist. I'd just be another old fat man... with a bicycle hanging in his garage.

Urban Cycling.... Overcome your fears (a YouTube Link).
    Learn to cycle in traffic
    Or... just HTFU

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast