Thread: Helmet Skins ??

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009

Helmet Skins ??

Hi all,
    Watching the wet Giro d'Italia stage today, I'm sure I saw a BMC rider wearing a giro ionos helmet with a clear polycarbonate skin/cover. Is there somewhere where these can be acquired? Or is there an aftermarket company producing them? I'd be keen to use one on wet, cold and windy days.....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryV View Post
    Hi all,
    Watching the wet Giro d'Italia stage today, I'm sure I saw a BMC rider wearing a giro ionos helmet with a clear polycarbonate skin/cover. Is there somewhere where these can be acquired? Or is there an aftermarket company producing them? I'd be keen to use one on wet, cold and windy days.....
    IDK about the clear skin. WRT the Giro, UCI has outlawed removable skins that "modify" helmets, but helmets made with them are legal. I use a water/windproof lycra cover, which is just as effective, IMO, and stashable in a pocket. Some BMC riders are wearing Giro Air Attack helmets.
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I didn't see it, but was it flexible? if so, it wasn't polycarbonate, which is a very tough rigid plastic (Lexan is a common brand name).

If all you want is somethinbg to block the cold air and rain from going in the vents, a cheap shower cap works quite well.
    Eppur si muove.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009

Re: Helmet Skins ??

Quote Originally Posted by looigi View Post
    IDK about the clear skin. WRT the Giro, UCI has outlawed removable skins that "modify" helmets, but helmets made with them are legal. I use a water/windproof lycra cover, which is just as effective, IMO, and stashable in a pocket. Some BMC riders are wearing Giro Air Attack helmets.
    It was a quick glance, but it appeared to be an ionos covered in some transparent material. It appeared to be rigid given it's transparency... But I coukdve been seeing things as well.

Thanks for the shower cap idea! Very wet down here this week, I could've used a shower cap on my training rides, or even some scuba gear for that matter!

#dreadingwinter!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryV View Post
    It appeared to be rigid given it's transparency... But I coukdve been seeing things as well.
    Been brought up before. The possible future in road helmets.

RoadBikeReview Member
    +1 on shower caps- saved me on many a cold wet commute

RoadBikeReview Member
    I carry a hotel polyethylene shower cap for unexpected weather. They tend to flap and make quite a bit of noise. IMO, they're OK for "emergencies" but not something I'd use full time in cool/cold/inclement weather.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    I carry a hotel polyethylene shower cap.
    No, you don't. You carry a hotel PVC shower cap. Polyethylene is what milk jugs are made of - a rigid or semi-rigid plastic. Polyvinylchloride is what things like clear shower curtains, shower caps, etc. are made of. While PVC is rigid at lower temperatures, it's formulated with a bunch of plasticizers to keep it flexible.

RoadBikeReview Member

Helmet Skins ??

I used to put a skin on my helmet, but now I'm married.

RoadBikeReview Member
    not sure about Giro, but Lazer sells 'em skins.... for their helmets of course.
    check my review page below!

www.roadiemanila.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009

Helmet Skins ??

Yeah I wasn't aware giro producing them so I though it must've been an aftermarket production... Good opportunity for someone who can heat plastic and use vacuum moulds! :-)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012
    I use a welders hat or cycling cap under my helmet?

I generate enough heat and the cap acts like a scuba wet suite, wet yet warm and no wind.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009

Helmet Skins ??

Quote Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
    I use a welders hat or cycling cap under my helmet?

I generate enough heat and the cap acts like a scuba wet suite, wet yet warm and no wind.
    I understand there's lots of alternatives to the aero covers and ventless helmets, personally I use a skully and that does the job nicely... I was just surprised to see what appeared to be a transparent hard skin over a giro ionos, which obviously isn't a marketed giro accessory. I might try wrapping my helmet in glad-wrap this winter :-)

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2013
    Ya I like your post. you talk about such informatics news here i also want to know.
    I also use giro ionos helmet some times.I feel comfortable by wearing it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    No, you don't. You carry a hotel PVC shower cap. Polyethylene is what milk jugs are made of - a rigid or semi-rigid plastic. Polyvinylchloride is what things like clear shower curtains, shower caps, etc. are made of. While PVC is rigid at lower temperatures, it's formulated with a bunch of plasticizers to keep it flexible.
    Pretty sure it's polyethylene, not PVC. Thick, both are rigid (think PVC water pipe). Polyethylene film is quite flexible and somewhat stretchy, but doesn't cling like PVC food wrap film can. The shower cap plastic is is slightly milky, not transparent like PVC food wrap (Saran wrap). Either way, it doesn't matter much.

Here are some polyethylene shower caps: https://www.google.com/search?q=poly...=1547&bih=1017

Here are examples of polyethylene film: https://www.google.com/search?q=poly...=1547&bih=1017

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Pretty sure it's polyethylene, not PVC. Thick, both are rigid (think PVC water pipe). Polyethylene film is quite flexible and somewhat stretchy, but doesn't cling like PVC food wrap film can. The shower cap plastic is is slightly milky, not transparent like PVC food wrap (Saran wrap). Either way, it doesn't matter much.
    You are confusing the highly plasticized food wrap with the often translucent formulations used in shower curtains, shower caps, old-style cycling rain capes, etc. - think of the old portable hair dryers women used to use - PVC. Flexible PE is like garbage bags - it stretches once but it doesn't rebound. PVC water pipe is rigid because it is not plasticized, not because it is thick. Milk jugs are rigid because of the grade of PE (molecular weight and degree of long chain branching).