Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Helmets

RoadBikeReview Member

Helmets

Still pretty new in this game, so I dont really know where to start. Bought my bike a couple of weeks ago, got a Giro Stylus included in the deal. Been riding with it for a couple of weeks and it feels utterly wrong. The fit can only be described as dreadful and its as vented as german submarine.

Anyways Im in need of a new helmet. Been looking a lot on the Kask helmets, both Mojito and the K10. The Specialized Prevail also looks sorta neat. The only problem is that no shops in my area deals any of these helmets. Just got an opportunity to try the Mojito on, fitted quite nice in size L.

So, anyone with experience in the fit between these three helmets? I can see that the K10 is a one size only, sounds a bit weird though. How is the Prevail versus Mojito. Anyone?

Feel free to suggest other helmets that deserves a look. Got a quite big head, so Im quite picky regarding helmets. The mushroom feel is no stranger to me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    IMO, helmets are much more similar than different. Fit depends entirely on the shape and size of your head. You need to try on different helmets to know if they'll fit you. I find significant differences in fit between different models of the same brand.

My current personal fave is the Giro Air Attack. It fits my head and I find the effectiveness of the ventilation to be equal or superior to any of the other 4 helmets I have in almost all situations.
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Giro Aeon for me. I can tell you, based on personal experience, that it works very well under serious circumstances. Replaced my first with the same helmet.

Fat and slow but trying
    I just got my first road helmet, a Lazer O2. I'm really liking it a lot. I sweat a lot less than I did when wearing my Specialized mtb helmet and it's light enough that after a couple miles, I honestly forget it's even on my head. The helmet is perfectly comfortable too. I'm completely sold on Lazer helmets.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    My last two helmets have been the Mojito and now the Prevail. I use the Prevail simply because I found a good deal on one after I crashed and cracked the Mojito. Knowing what i know now after using both I'd wear either one as they both fit and perform similarly. With that said, there are some slight differences:

IME the Prevail is slightly cooler compared to the Mojito. The Prevail retention system is slightly more comfortable and less bulky but, both secure comfortably and stay snug very well. Both helmets are light but the Prevail is slightly lighter on the scale yet not noticeable while riding. The Mojito looks like it's a touch lower in profile meaning not as mushroom looking.

That's about all I can think of for now.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by looigi View Post
    IMO, helmets are much more similar than different. Fit depends entirely on the shape and size of your head. You need to try on different helmets to know if they'll fit you. I find significant differences in fit between different models of the same brand.

My current personal fave is the Giro Air Attack. It fits my head and I find the effectiveness of the ventilation to be equal or superior to any of the other 4 helmets I have in almost all situations.
    +1,I agree,especially love the shield

RoadBikeReview Member
    Big head means more brains.

Anywho, do you live in the US?

All helmets sold in the USA must meet federal guidelines, the same guidelines for a $25 helmet to $500 helmet. The Kask looks really nice but do you need something that expensive? Maybe you do, I don't know, but neither of the helmets you listed offer the newest safety protection feature called MIPS (google it), only a couple do actually. The first one is the Scott line of helmets (some have MIPS others do not so read each one, and Scott also calls it BPS, but Scott may have added it to ALL their helmets) I know off the top of my head that Taal model does, anyway see: Helmets - SCOTT Sports These are normal road helmets, some are mountain bike helmets but the visor can be removed for road use.

The others are Lazer and POC, but the POC while a great safe helmet just looks weird, and the only Lazer (I think) that has the MIPS is the PNut and it too looks weird.

Anyway read this about MIPS: MIPS | Setting a new standard I think if there was something on the market that offered even marginal protection over standard old helmets I would look into it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk98yvozq1g
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvk63...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=p92Stnnigjs
    "They don't do things that way anymore. This is the Age of Science Know-How, electronal marvels."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Great info froze! Thanks!

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    You do know that there is actually no requirement that you wear a helmet while riding?
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

fu
    Try the Giro Air Attack. Excellent fit and venting as far as I'm concerned.
    My other chainring is a 39...
    Strava profile

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks for all the info.

I do not live in the US, but I assume that all helmets sold here have some sort of requirements to fill if they want to be on the market. I probably don't need the most expensive ones, which is why Im doubting the Prevail helmet, however the ones I find most appealing are unfortunately also quite expensive. Having said that I dont think Im wrong when I assume that a budget Giro and a high end Giro would perform differently in a crash.

Looks like you can get a decent price on the Mojito and the Aeon online. Tried on the Aeon today, fitted quite nice tbh. It will probably be between these two, whichever I can get the better price on when Im buying.

fu
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
    Thanks for all the info.

I do not live in the US, but I assume that all helmets sold here have some sort of requirements to fill if they want to be on the market. I probably don't need the most expensive ones, which is why Im doubting the Prevail helmet, however the ones I find most appealing are unfortunately also quite expensive. Having said that I dont think Im wrong when I assume that a budget Giro and a high end Giro would perform differently in a crash.

Looks like you can get a decent price on the Mojito and the Aeon online. Tried on the Aeon today, fitted quite nice tbh. It will probably be between these two, whichever I can get the better price on when Im buying.
    In terms of functionality budget and high end helmets are basically the same. With the expensive helmets you pay for the style/look, lower weight and better ventilation.
    My other chainring is a 39...
    Strava profile

RoadBikeReview Member
    Any helmet that can pass the industry standard tests will work just fine as far as protecting your head. A $30.00 helmet will protect your head as well as a $300.00 helmet.

Beyond that, it's all about fit, weight, cooling, looks, etc. and that will vary from helmet to helmet.

I had a Kask a while back that I liked a lot. It fit well, vented well, was light and felt more aero than my Lazar helmet (at higher speeds I can feel a pull on the Lazar that I don't on other helmets I own). Overall, one of my favorite helmets ... but it died protecting my head in a crash last year.

Recently I picked up a Kali MARAKA-R helmet that was a prize in a 3 series race I won. I like the helmet a lot. It vents well, is competitive weight wise, fits really well and doesn't have the pull at high speeds I found with the Lazar O2.

Anyway ... as long as it passes basic safety standards ... pick your helmet based on fit, feel, ventilation, looks, etc. more expensive does not equal better.
    Bikes:
    • 2012 CAAD10 (4)
    • 2013 Jamis Nova Race (winter training bike)
    • 1998 Marin East Peak - MTB
    • 2012 Argon 18 E-118

RoadBikeReview Member
    How it fit and feels in my numbero uno priority. As I said earlier, Im sure the Giro Stylus have passed all the requirements, but it feels like a kettle on top of my head. A couple of grams either way isnt really the most important factor for me when Im deciding. Fit and feel is everything, looks/color is just a factor if Im really stuck. As for ventilation, in Norway you'll probably need to wear something under the helmet for 10 months a year.

Fecal indicator
    just bought a new Aeon to replace my older Giro Pneumo...

once I compared them side by side, there's virtually no difference in appearance. and altho the Aeon is a few grams lighter, I like the black straps and interior of the Pneumo better.

the Aeon's Rocloc5 system is supposed to offer extra adjustability, but the Pneumo seems to fit me better.

guess the new lid will go to Craigslist...don't really need a 'spare' helmet...
    eff all y'all...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MB1 View Post
    You do know that there is actually no requirement that you wear a helmet while riding?
    Why is that important? Maybe you don't wear a helmet and that's fine, but don't go spilling your theology about not wearing helmets on others. Stick with the OP's question.
    "They don't do things that way anymore. This is the Age of Science Know-How, electronal marvels."

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Kask helmets, especially the K10, seem to me to be very round relative to other brands. Meaning that if they fit you well back to front.....they may be to big side to side. Off course if you do have a roudish head, other brands might be fine back to front but to tight side to side so if you have a roundish head the K10 might be just what you need.

You really need to try them on. I may be more picky than most but even with helmets that technically fit just right they don't necessarily feel just right.....and visa versa.

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    Wow, you sure read a lot into a simple statement.

Then went flying with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
    .... I probably don't need the most expensive ones, ... however the ones I find most appealing are unfortunately also quite expensive.
    That would almost seem to be a universal condition. I looked at some Oakley cycling sunglasses this weekend. And I was pleasantly surprised when the $240 shades didn't fit my big face right. I feel like I saved a couple hundred bucks.
    If I didn't bicycle when the weather is bad... I wouldn't be a cyclist. I'd just be another old fat man... with a bicycle hanging in his garage.

Urban Cycling.... Overcome your fears (a YouTube Link).
    Learn to cycle in traffic
    Or... just HTFU

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    On the topic of MIPS, and specifically the recent Bicycling mag article, it would also be good to read http://helmets.org/bicyclingmag1305.htm . I don't want to start a debate as to the merits of the technology -- and I for one am very happy to see Scott (and others) offering something besides more vents and fewer grams -- but the figure some of the points they raise are worth consideration.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    I really like the Specialized Prevail. Very light, cool and fits me well with minimal adjustment (because there are minimal adjustments available on the helmet).

Tried on a Air Attach this weekend though and it fits even better. I'd probably have one now if they had the color I wanted in my size.

If you don't have a good selection of LBSs in your area, just order a bunch on-line, make sure they have a good return policy, and return the ones you don't like/don't fit.
    "Five and Dime, all the time!"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cutter View Post
    That would almost seem to be a universal condition. I looked at some Oakley cycling sunglasses this weekend. And I was pleasantly surprised when the $240 shades didn't fit my big face right. I feel like I saved a couple hundred bucks.
    You did yourself a huge favor by not getting those. Today most glasses between $50 and $100 are just as good. Combine that with losing or scratching lenses it doesn't make sense to have expensive glasses. But this is coming from a tightwad!

Fecal indicator
    Quote Originally Posted by froze View Post
    You did yourself a huge favor by not getting those. Today most glasses between $50 and $100 are just as good. Combine that with losing or scratching lenses it doesn't make sense to have expensive glasses. But this is coming from a tightwad!
    I spent almost $600 on my cycling shades. Rudy Project frames, Rx gradient bifocal lenses...

one of the best riding-related things I've purchased.
    eff all y'all...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    I currently use a Specialized Properro II and literally just ordered a Mojito on Saturday. The Spec has been giving me headaches after longer rides and I've never warmed up to how high it sits.

I realize this is completely subjective, but the Mojito fit me better than any helmet I've tried on. Saturday, after my ride, I tried on, probably 10 different helmets: Giro, Lazer, Bell, Cannondale, etc. I'm really looking forward to the Mojito getting delivered to the shop. It was a bit more than I wanted to spend, but if the comfort continues long term, it will be well worth it.

Go with what fits the best and worry about what it looks like later

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    I spent almost $600 on my cycling shades. Rudy Project frames, Rx gradient bifocal lenses...

one of the best riding-related things I've purchased.
    $600 dollars? Whatever man.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast