Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Fecal indicator
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoo View Post
    Since this thread is over 2 years old I wonder how many helmets forum readers have replaced since the original post.
    I replaced this one...

Helmets:   expiration date or not?-aeon-helmet-2.jpg
    the 45th POTUS is inept, corrupt, and a pathological liar. and those may be his better qualities...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    I replaced this one...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aeon helmet 2.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	320079
    Was this the one from your accident? Hope you're fully recovered. Yep, I would definitely replace that one.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

Fecal indicator
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Was this the one from your accident? Hope you're fully recovered. Yep, I would definitely replace that one.
    yup, from the hit/run incident last summer...

helmet did its job, but still suffered a significant concussion. have 3+ hrs of missing time...

I'm as recovered as I'm going to get...shoulder is about 85% of its previous status, broken thumb is healed but is now partially numb from the surgery to remove bone splinters...
    the 45th POTUS is inept, corrupt, and a pathological liar. and those may be his better qualities...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    yup, from the hit/run incident last summer...

helmet did its job, but still suffered a significant concussion. have 3+ hrs of missing time...

I'm as recovered as I'm going to get...shoulder is about 85% of its previous status, broken thumb is healed but is now partially numb from the surgery to remove bone splinters...
    OUCH! Be safe out there!
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2017
    I replace my helmet after any mid to major crash. Last crash I was on a trail. During a section of wood planks (pier type trail) another rider was coming the opposite direction and went into my lane. I had to break hard and both tires lost traction. I crashed and my head went right into one of the pier poles.

I don't mind replacing helmets as needed. My issue is every company and even every model fits differently. A Specialized medium does not fit me and their large is too big. A Giro medium fits well only for certain models. It's odd.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2016
    I spent my early 20's ice climbing solo (nothing extreme; more weather extreme than ice difficulty) in northern New England. I'm a lot older and I feel life is a balance of risk. I no longer do the things I use to due to my kids and my earning power. I'm too valuable to my family unit to do crazy stuff.

I don't see keeping a helmet past whatever xxx point you choose as an issue. As long as it hasn't suffered an impact or is a known material that degrades over time. Common sense says your level of safety is increased as the years go by and tech makes things better. But that 1997 Camry that has 200k miles and still going strong isn't retired because it's not AS safe as a 2017 BMW.

Each individual needs to access and make that decision.

My other bike has knobbys
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryCBike View Post
    I replace my helmet after any mid to major crash. Last crash I was on a trail. During a section of wood planks (pier type trail) another rider was coming the opposite direction and went into my lane. I had to break hard and both tires lost traction. I crashed and my head went right into one of the pier poles.

I don't mind replacing helmets as needed. My issue is every company and even every model fits differently. A Specialized medium does not fit me and their large is too big. A Giro medium fits well only for certain models. It's odd.
    I'm the same way....I'll replace a helmet as needed (i.e. after a crash), but I also have a set interval I use. I look at my helmet as the same as the hard hat I use for work...it's safety gear. I have to replace my hard hat every 5 years and it's shock absorbing layer is, for all intents and purposes, the same as what makes up my cycling helmet.

Under ideal conditions, sure, a helmet will last longer...but heat, sweat, UV light, knocks and bumps, being dropped etc. ad nauseaum all add up. An old helmet might meet testing requirements (which are in need up updating anyway), but 300 "g's" (where a helmet fails under CPSC guidelines) is a lot of force! For an average 10 lb head, that's 3000 lbs force!! Your 10 year old helmet might pass....but 2990 lbs force is a lot more than I want my brain experiencing. If a new helmet keeps that to sub-2000 lbs or even sub-1500 lbs, it's that much less energy my brain is subjected to, and less likelihood of long lasting effects.

I've had to test a helmet in a real-life crash. I hit with enough force to break off and embed the arm of my riding glasses, but I didn't have a concussion (the ER doc was, frankly, flabbergasted at that). I credit it to the fact that my helmet was newer and had multiple certifications (each certifying agency has different testing and "pass" protocols....multiple certifications means it passed whatever is the most stringent of those tests). Sure, some might see it as wasteful replacing a helmet every 5 years while others will say I'm not replacing it often enough, but I personally think it strikes a good balance between helmet life and the safety of my head.

As in all things, YMMV.
    So 8 times wasn't enough and I'm going back again:my participant page for the 2017 Alberta Ride to Conquer Cancer.

12 Cervelo S2, 09 Knolly Delirium T, ?? Mercury Road Bike, signed '06 Gary Fisher Cake 2DLX

RoadBikeReview Member

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2016

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123