RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006

Help - locking hitch pin for Sportworks Rack

My apologies if I'm posting this in the wrong catagory. I recently bought a slightly used Sportworks T2 2" double bike rack for my 4Runner. In my experience, this rack is by far the easiest to load my bike onto and holds my Tarmac rock solid. The only problem I'm having is I cannot find any shops (local or online) that sell the hitch pin lock. The Thule Snug-Tite is not even close to fitting. Any suggestions?

Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn2RoadConvert
    My apologies if I'm posting this in the wrong catagory. I recently bought a slightly used Sportworks T2 2" double bike rack for my 4Runner. In my experience, this rack is by far the easiest to load my bike onto and holds my Tarmac rock solid. The only problem I'm having is I cannot find any shops (local or online) that sell the hitch pin lock. The Thule Snug-Tite is not even close to fitting. Any suggestions?
    You talking about the pin that goes through the receiver and rack to keep it plugged in? Like this?

As far as I know, these are standardized, and you should be able to get one from anyone that sells towing supplies/accessories. I've got a couple of them.
    "jazz gives you large testicles"--aliensporebomb

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006

Close...

The rack, like Thule, Yakima and I'm sure others, has a nut welded inside the 2"x2" bar that slides into the receiver so you can get the rack to be rock-solid on the hitch. The locking hitch pin would need to specifically fit the threads inside the the bar. I could always drill out the threads and use a locking pin like the one in your picture, but I lose the wobble-free feature.

The rack, like Thule, Yakima and I'm sure others, has a nut welded inside the 2"x2" bar that slides into the receiver so you can get the rack to be rock-solid on the hitch. The locking hitch pin would need to specifically fit the threads inside the the bar. I could always drill out the threads and use a locking pin like the one in your picture, but I lose the wobble-free feature.
    Ah. I'm not familiar with the wobble-free deal. Perhaps you could contact Sportworks through their website.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006

Already tried...

To make a long story short, Sportworks was bought by Thule. The new Thule version looks fairly similar but uses some different parts that are not interchangeable. The locking pin is one of them. I had my LBS contact the Thule representative and they didn't have an answer other than look for a close-out on the racks and accessories, which appears to have already taken place.

To make a long story short, Sportworks was bought by Thule. The new Thule version looks fairly similar but uses some different parts that are not interchangeable. The locking pin is one of them. I had my LBS contact the Thule representative and they didn't have an answer other than look for a close-out on the racks and accessories, which appears to have already taken place.
    That's a tough break. Maybe you could drill it and use a standard one like you said, then drill and tap a threaded hole into the side of the receiver. You could then use a bolt into that hole to press up against the bar to make it steadier. I'm just improvising here without a solid understanding of how the original system worked, but it sounds plausible.

Master Bike Mechanic
    You could take the rack to a metal worker and have him dill out the threads.
    And shepherds we shall be, for thee my Lord for thee, power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. And We shall flow a river forth unto thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be
    In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006

Yes...

That would probably be one of my last resorts. An idea I was thinking was to get a longer version of the bolt that came with the rack, long enough that it extends all the way out past the hitch receiver and drilling a hole through it, then attaching a small padlock. I know this would only be a slight deterent as the padlock could be cut off, but it would stop or slow down the would-be thief wanting a pretty sweet rack.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    I have some. I just sent you a PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Angry Hitch Pin Bolt for Sportworks

Sorry for bringing up a year old thread, but some jerk has stolen my hitch pin bolt.
    There is no way a bolt that is threaded and has a cotter pin, just disappears!
    I emailed Kyle, who was the last poster here, but that was a year ago, so...
    If anybody has an extra one of these, or knows where to get a substitute, please pm me or post.
    I made the mistake of ordering the $20 bolt for the sportsrack last night on Amazon, and will have to eat the shipping charges to return it.

Thanks!
    Lyndon
    Salt Lake City

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    I tried several different places locally (Silicon Valley, CA) and via the internet and was not able to located the Sportworks locking bolt for the T2 rack. I ended up fabricating a bracket that that the anti-wobble bolt threads through and use a elongated padlock to secure. So far no problems or even anyone attempting to get the rack off. I see it more as a deterrent that will keep the would-be theif that happens to be walking by from taking it. I'm sure someone that really wants the rack will find a way.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    I like Mtn2RoadConvert's idea. That is what I will most likely pursue, as I just got an email from REI stating that this part is no longer available.
    I also wonder if this Thule part would work, though the price is hideous.

Here is the link to the bolt, and it does have a blow up picture, though that doesn't tell me if it would work. Does anybody know???
    Thule Snug Tite Hitch Lock and Anti-Rattle Device
    http://www.etrailer.com/p-thstl2.htm