Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Help me create a rear light mount for an Arkel Randonneur rack

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  JCavilia 
#1 ·
I have an Arkel bag and rack. I usually clip the light to the bag, but it aims downward a bit, so I'm not getting the full effect of the light.

Looking to create a very solid mount for the rack:
Arkel Randonneur Rack - Seat Post Rack - Carbon Seat Post Friendly

It has to mount a bit lower as the bag overhangs the end of the rack, and has to stand-up to daily commuting.

Any ideas out there?

#2 ·
I have attached a light to a rack by adding a vertical post, so that I can use the kind of bracket that clamps around a seat post. It looks like you would have room to do that with this one.

Get a piece of 1 1/4" wooden dowel, about 1 1/2" long. Place it under the back end of the rack. Drill a hole through the rack so you can put a screw down into the center of the dowel. Use a flathead screw and a big washer. If you paint the dowel to seal out moisture it will last fine (mine's been on a rainy-day commuter bike for a long time). Then you just clamp on the bracket. Very secure.

#3 ·
I have attached a light to a rack by adding a vertical post, so that I can use the kind of bracket that clamps around a seat post. It looks like you would have room to do that with this one.

Get a piece of 1 1/4" wooden dowel, about 1 1/2" long. Place it under the back end of the rack. Drill a hole through the rack so you can put a screw down into the center of the dowel. Use a flathead screw and a big washer. If you paint the dowel to seal out moisture it will last fine (mine's been on a rainy-day commuter bike for a long time). Then you just clamp on the bracket. Very secure.
Awesome idea, I can see it working fine!

#6 ·
Yeah, that works, too, but you have to have a large washer to make a cap for the pipe (or a PVC cap). Actually, I did essentially the same with the wooden dowel, drilling the hole all the way through the dowel and fastening with a machine screw and nut.

#5 ·
It's a great idea, except the darn bag overhangs the rack by quite a bit. The light would be covered on top by the bag. Maybe I could add some sort of extender to your idea to get it past the end of the bag. Or if all else fails, get a regular rack.

#7 ·
I don't exactly see the problem. Are you saying the bag would sit on top of the light? The light needs to be seen from the back, not from above, right?

What light, exactly? The shape of the bracket might matter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.