RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2010

Help me create a rear light mount for an Arkel Randonneur rack

I have an Arkel bag and rack. I usually clip the light to the bag, but it aims downward a bit, so I'm not getting the full effect of the light.

Looking to create a very solid mount for the rack:
    Arkel Randonneur Rack - Seat Post Rack - Carbon Seat Post Friendly

It has to mount a bit lower as the bag overhangs the end of the rack, and has to stand-up to daily commuting.

Any ideas out there?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have attached a light to a rack by adding a vertical post, so that I can use the kind of bracket that clamps around a seat post. It looks like you would have room to do that with this one.

Get a piece of 1 1/4" wooden dowel, about 1 1/2" long. Place it under the back end of the rack. Drill a hole through the rack so you can put a screw down into the center of the dowel. Use a flathead screw and a big washer. If you paint the dowel to seal out moisture it will last fine (mine's been on a rainy-day commuter bike for a long time). Then you just clamp on the bracket. Very secure.
    Ubuntu: I am what I am because of who we all are.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    I have attached a light to a rack by adding a vertical post, so that I can use the kind of bracket that clamps around a seat post. It looks like you would have room to do that with this one.

Get a piece of 1 1/4" wooden dowel, about 1 1/2" long. Place it under the back end of the rack. Drill a hole through the rack so you can put a screw down into the center of the dowel. Use a flathead screw and a big washer. If you paint the dowel to seal out moisture it will last fine (mine's been on a rainy-day commuter bike for a long time). Then you just clamp on the bracket. Very secure.
    Awesome idea, I can see it working fine!

RoadBikeReview Member
    The same method could be used with PVC pipe. With PVC you could use a lock nut to provide a more secure mount.
    People sleep peaceably at night because rough men and woman stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

Oregon Bike MS 2013 Team Matfam

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2010
    It's a great idea, except the darn bag overhangs the rack by quite a bit. The light would be covered on top by the bag. Maybe I could add some sort of extender to your idea to get it past the end of the bag. Or if all else fails, get a regular rack.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by matfam View Post
    The same method could be used with PVC pipe. With PVC you could use a lock nut to provide a more secure mount.
    Yeah, that works, too, but you have to have a large washer to make a cap for the pipe (or a PVC cap). Actually, I did essentially the same with the wooden dowel, drilling the hole all the way through the dowel and fastening with a machine screw and nut.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canuckjgc View Post
    It's a great idea, except the darn bag overhangs the rack by quite a bit. The light would be covered on top by the bag. Maybe I could add some sort of extender to your idea to get it past the end of the bag. Or if all else fails, get a regular rack.
    I don't exactly see the problem. Are you saying the bag would sit on top of the light? The light needs to be seen from the back, not from above, right?

What light, exactly? The shape of the bracket might matter.