RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011

Help me outfit a Tricross Comp

So I'm really interested in the 2013 Tricross Comp, but I'm not really sure what kind of accessories to get for it. A good seat bag? Who makes a good one? I won't be touring on it but I may use it to commute to work. I'll mainly use it for road rides, and some light trails.

Mountain bike pedals or road pedals? In that vain, do I get a mountain bike helmet or a road helmet? Same question with shoes? What are some other good accessories? Front and rear lights? This bike is kind of in between so I don't know how to treat it.

Any other bikes that are similar to the Tricross that I should consider?

Unrepentant Mountainbiker
    Did you talk to your local bike shop. I'm sure that they could help you answer all of these questions.
    It's no fun unless it hurts!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    I would get Shimano A600 pedals, some good hard sole (carbon) SPD shoes that are comfortable for you and saddle bag of choice. Maybe Fenders and rack if you plan to commute on it and carry anything.
    Trek Domane 5.2
    Cannondale Synapse 3 Ultegra Disc
    Fuji Cross Comp
    Trek Dual Sport 8.4 (sold)
    1969 Camaro Pace car - numbers matching frame off resto
    1969 Camaro Coupe

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    Yeah, ask those questions at the LBS you buy the bike from. Most stores also give a discount when you buy a bike. You need to see things like lights, seat bags including what you plan on carrying and how they fit, pedals, shoes, and even bars and stems. A well fitting and comfortable saddle is very important and the best time to see and try out all these is the time of purchase.

Advice here about personal things is okay but what you generally get are input from people justifying their own buying decisions.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by stanseven View Post
    Yeah, ask those questions at the LBS you buy the bike from. Most stores also give a discount when you buy a bike. You need to see things like lights, seat bags including what you plan on carrying and how they fit, pedals, shoes, and even bars and stems. A well fitting and comfortable saddle is very important and the best time to see and try out all these is the time of purchase.

Advice here about personal things is okay but what you generally get are input from people justifying their own buying decisions.
    I plan on looking for gear at my shop but since they're a Specialized dealer that's really all they sell. I'm not against specialized gear but I was hoping to get some suggestions here.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    For commuting, I would get mountain pedals and shoes (spd pedals) because they are easier to walk on. The rest just depends so much on personal preferences, riding length, your style, etc. For example a front light can go from $40 to $600 depending on brightness, how long you want between charges, size and weight, and on and on. My suggestion is buy the minimal now, ride some, and get a feel for what you need. There is a lot of good advice here but we need more specifics

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2013

I have a 2013 Tricross Comp

I have the same bike and have been busy getting gear. My shop is also selling mostly Specialized accessories, so it's hard to get everything there. I plan to commute on it and have been training up (my commute is 20mi ea way).

I opted for Shimano road pedals and Giro shoes since the majority of my riding will be on the road. Same for the helmet. I have a mountain bike that I use for the trails and I'll swap bags between them. I have seen people with nice rack setups, but I'm going rackless. Fortunately I don't have a need for one since the office has a full service gym with towel service. Otherwise I'd be getting one of those too.

If your LBS has the same brand/item, I would buy it there to support local.

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mummer43 View Post
    So I'm really interested in the 2013 Tricross Comp, but I'm not really sure what kind of accessories to get for it. A good seat bag? Who makes a good one? I won't be touring on it but I may use it to commute to work. I'll mainly use it for road rides, and some light trails.

Mountain bike pedals or road pedals? In that vain, do I get a mountain bike helmet or a road helmet? Same question with shoes? What are some other good accessories? Front and rear lights? This bike is kind of in between so I don't know how to treat it.

Any other bikes that are similar to the Tricross that I should consider?
    My seatbags on all my bikes are Topeak.
    Pedals? Mountain bike pedals with mountain bike shoes.
    Helmet: Road. I use my road helmet on the road and when I go mountain biking. If I need a visor, I wear a cycling cap underneath.

Other?
    rear light: I like Planet Bike rear lights
    front: since I don't usually right nights... I use a planet bike one (also... combo package) and have it blink. For commuting lights... check out Mountain Bike Review for the light shootout.
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite upgraded with 32T cassette and does not have Stan's (yet)
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded with 36T cassette and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless. Considering a 1x10 upgrade
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra upgraded to 32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    2008/2009 Burton T6 156cm with Burton Triad Bindings & DC Judge boots

RoadBikeReview Member
    Some of my personal preferences

-Pedals: On my commuter I have Shimano A530 MTB pedals. They are SPD, so the shoes are walkable. They are dual sided as when you commute you are frequently in and out and don't want to fiddle around with the right side. They have a cage so you can make short trips with street shoes relatively well.

-Shoes: I have the Pearl Izumi X-Alp shoes. They have a running shoe look which is nice when you are off the bike. They are not super heavy/stiff, but enough so I don't feel like I am flopping around. Since I mostly use these for my commute and off road ride which is less intense, I don't need the straps. I put a pair of elastic laces in so they slip on and off quickly. Nice for switching between work shoes and bike shoes.

Helmet: I use a Giro general purpose helmet. It would be considered a MTB helmet really, but the visor comes off. When riding in the drops the visor can be an issue, so I don't even use it. Often not a ton of difference between a MTB helmet and a road helmet at the sub $75 mark

Bag: Personal Preference. I say order one online for far cheaper than you would pay local unless they give you a solid deal when you buy the bike. Medium or large size will probably work, its basically when I have on my CX commuter.

Lights: There are tons of opinions on these. I like the Cygolite Expilion series I have on my setup for the front. I have the 350 lumen model which is plenty for my use. I also keep a Knog Boomer USB on the front in flashing while the Expilion is steady on the helmet. I have an XLC tail light as well. What you will need depends on where you ride, the lighting conditions, and your comfort level.

-Glasses: In general, I like to wear glasses when I ride. I do clear when it is dark/cloudy, and brown photochromic when it is sunny. These are important for sun, comfort (wind), and safety.

-Pant Straps: My commute is short and I wear jeans most days. So given that, I wear my work clothes in. I use reflective velcro straps which are good for visibility as well as keeping the pants out of the chain/crank

Depending on any number of other factors, you may need different or additional things. Backpacks or bike packs, racks, fenders, locks, rain gear (if you will do it all weather) may be needed. General items such as patch kit, spare tube(s), pump/CO2 (or both), computer/GPS, cell phone mount (if you so choose), riding specific clothing (jacket, jersey, shorts), tools, etc. may be in order if you don't have them already. How much how little you spend is up to you.
    Last edited by gte105u; 04-01-2013 at 11:21 AM.
    Specialized Allez Comp Apex- '12 56cm
    Motobecane Fantom Cross Pro- '12 56cm