Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2002

Hemorrhoids and riding

I've searched the forums, but I guess nobody has been brave enough to bring this up before, so what the hell, I'll bring it up myself. I'm sure I'll be the butt of your jokes (pun intended).

Don't read the following if you have any bit of a weak stomach.

I developed an external hemorrhoid last week that has been persistent. I raced yesterday, which seems to have irritated it enough that it started to bleed. Went to the doc today, and got all the meds, etc. to hopefully fully treat it and get rid of the sucker.

So, I know what caused it, how to treat it, but my question relates to riding. The doctor has said to give myself a week off, but as I'm sure others can relate, I don't really want to lay off the riding for that long, especially since it's not overly bothersome when riding.

Given that my doctor doesn't understand my obsession with biking, I'm wondering if others that have experienced this problem can give me a more realistic estimate on how long I should lay off biking? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to admit it on the open board. After my "examination" by the doctor, I feel I have nothing more to hide !

Thanks!

Chris

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    This thread is worthless without pics.

30 mpdb
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyestrain
    This thread is worthless without pics.
    Consider using a donut on the saddle?

Seriously though, it usually takes more than a week for my injuries to heal up at the ripe old age of 28. Do as the doctor says, or you could be off longer than a week. You could go for a jog or something 3 days into your hianus (sorry, couldn't resist ).

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've ridden with hemorrhoids before and riding didn't seem to bother them at all--sucked to have them. I don't think that you will have much of a problem, depending of course how big the hemorrhoid is. If it is on the big side, keep it well lubed with Preparation H or some good chamois butter. The actual mechanics of riding shouldn't affect the hemorrhoid one way or another. What will help, is keeping from getting constipated, ie high-fiber diet, Metamucil, etc. Also sitz baths (sitting in a warm tub of H2O for 15min, sometimes with Epson Salts) often help. Do it 3X per day. However, this can sometimes be logistically difficult. These also help to keep the are clean and help reduce swelling too. Hope you feel better soon. It's no fun for sure.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2002
    Thanks guys, for the responses. Eyestrain, I really really doubt anyone wants pics with this thread. If you've got your heart set on it, send me the logistics of how to take a photo of that area and I'll e-mail it to you ;-)!

I agree that following doctors orders are usually a good idea. However, with him not being a rider while others on here would have experience with it, I thought I might get a more "reasonable" answer (i.e., in my favour!) on here.

John, thanks for your relating your experience. I didn't think riding would be a huge deal either, as more pressure/friction seems to be on the perineum, not your actual butt! Everything you recommended is exactly as my doctor recommended too. I hope I feel better soon too!

Thanks again!

Chris

C 1/5
    1. Eat "Colon Blow" Fiber cereal everyday.
    2. Lance it with a hot knife
    3. Get someone to suck the puss out.

If those "tried and true" remedies don't work, Prep. H and a few days off to give it a chance for the swelling to subside.

Soul Mining
    These are my five easy steps to clearing up hemorrhoids and fissures:

1. Eat bran cereal at least three times a day. The more you eat, the smoother things move.
    2. Drink lots of fluids to help the bran do its thing.
    3. Apply a cream when needed. Use a suppository for internal symptoms.
    4. Bathe at least once a day.
    5. Do this for as long as it takes and carry on for a few weeks after your symptoms disappear.

You can probably ride whenever you want so long as it doesn't cause you much pain. Bowel movements are the enemy here, not bicycle seats.

RoadBikeReview Member

If it's external...

When I was in grad school, I got an external hemorroid. The thing did not hurt and was about the size of a "pea" or "bb" and I decided not to stop exercising. Got on the bike and did about 25 miles...BAD MISTAKE. The hemorroid thrombosed. For those who have never had this "pleasure," thrombosed means that the hemorroid developed a blood clot or clots inside it. What initially did not hurt, became exceedingly unbearable. I was in quite uncomfortable walking, sitting, laying, soaking in a bath, doing #2, etc. The thing took about 6-weeks to completely heal and go away.

eminence grease
    I have this friend ;-) who has the occasional flare-up. He rides through them - that part of the anatomy is not affected if your saddle is adjusted to where you're up on your sit bones. From what I understand ;-), the bike riding time is actually far superior to the sitting around and waiting for them to disappear time. Or at least, that's what I've been told ;-). Use some Prep H, consider using the Prep H wipes for post #2 clean-up (far superior to toilet tissue in terms of abrasion), run some hot water on that spot during showers and wait it out.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PsyDoc
    When I was in grad school, I got an external hemorroid. The thing did not hurt and was about the size of a "pea" or "bb" and I decided not to stop exercising. Got on the bike and did about 25 miles...BAD MISTAKE. The hemorroid thrombosed. For those who have never had this "pleasure," thrombosed means that the hemorroid developed a blood clot or clots inside it. What initially did not hurt, became exceedingly unbearable. I was in quite uncomfortable walking, sitting, laying, soaking in a bath, doing #2, etc. The thing took about 6-weeks to completely heal and go away.
    I doubt that the riding caused it to thrombose. Probably would have thrombosed anyway. That's the natural history of external hemorrhoids. Either way you look at it, it still sucks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've had this problem before. I didn't even want to sit on the couch - much less a bicycle seat. Your will know when it's time to get back on the saddle.
    The best measure of a man's honesty isn't his income tax return. It's the zero adjust on his bathroom scale.
    Arthur C. Clarke

Devoid of all flim-flam
    I used to suffer from them in my earlier days...before I discovered high fiber diets and lived on cheeseburgers, coffee and canned peaches. The Aitches were a pain in the eh but I actually found riding beneficial. It's a good way to satsify that horrible itching. Sometimes a ride would collapse the things and push them straight back where they came from. I have to say, though, that the hot baths do help a lot. So does just waiting for them to wither of their own accord.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

LBK
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by terry b
    I have this friend ;-) who has the occasional flare-up. He rides through them - that part of the anatomy is not affected if your saddle is adjusted to where you're up on your sit bones. From what I understand ;-), the bike riding time is actually far superior to the sitting around and waiting for them to disappear time. Or at least, that's what I've been told ;-). Use some Prep H, consider using the Prep H wipes for post #2 clean-up (far superior to toilet tissue in terms of abrasion), run some hot water on that spot during showers and wait it out.
    Sounds like you get in touch(?) with your friend too close

180 lb weight weenie
    Yeah I ran a marathon last June, and I suffered big time. At the end of the day my ass hurt, I thought it was some kind of chafing issue. A week later it still hurt. I went to the doc and I had a thrombosed hemmorhoid. They cut it out----ie injected lidicaine (which really stings by itself) directly into my ******* and then cut out the bloodclotted vein in my anus. Thought I was going to pass out and die.

I was riding 2 days later though.

note: i had no hemmorhoid the morning of the marathon, it was the xtreme exertion that did it. ouch

sorry for the details-----but youre the one that clicked on a hemmorhoid thread...
    jeremy
    PlusOneLap.com: Online Cyclocross Magazine

your text here

going through the same thing...

...but i dont race. and i usually run 4 days and ride 3. i found that running made the devil worse and riding didnt really affect it at all.

also straining while in the "library" made it worse, but sometimes you cant help it. i also noticed prep h didnt seem to do anything. what really helped were long, hot baths. and not thinking about it.

i didnt go to the doc, but probably should have. thing felt the size of a volkswagon.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I used to have quite a problem with roids, even had an anal fissure at one point that took a year to heal. Not fun.

The key is GOOD fiber, and lots of water. DO NOT use metamucil or the other brand stuff, you should not need to get your body dependent on them.

Best fiber is bran (i.e. raisin bran), flax seed, oatmeal, etc. Use only natural grain breads, no white bread or highly processed anything. LOTS of fresh fruits and vegetables, broccoli, cauliflower. etc.

Water is another key, recommendation is 48 oz/day, which sometimes is a challenge.

RoadBikeReview Member

Remove saddle and seatpost,

and do the whole ride standing up. You'll develop some killer hamstrings, and some upper-body strength, too. If you forget and try to sit down, you'll have a whole new kind of pain in the a**. ;-)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2002
    Thanks everyone for being brave enough to relate on your own experiences. Glad to know I'm not unique in this. I'm definitely going the high fiber route with lots of water, not wanting to go through this again. Still treating the bugger, but hopefully soon it will be a bad memory!

Interesting that someone noted that theirs came up after a marathon. Mine "arrived" after running a 1/2 marathon at a relatively easy pace. May have been the combination of the strain effect and the exertion during the run.

I've been biking since visting the doctor, and it doesn't seem to bother it at all, so I'm happy about that. The baths are definitely soothing!

Thanks again to everyone!

Chris

trust me, gov't agent

chamois

i got a new set of bibs, and have used them twice. now my slow brain is putting together the fact that when i use these bibs, i feel like my butt is going to catch on fire, itches, and just plain terrible. maybe roids, i don't know, but with the other bibs i do not have this trouble. the new ones are louis garneau and should be great, but i don't know. hate to be vague, but can anyone help me with this - is there that much difference in chamois that a person could actually have a painful experience?

thanks

cole
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then call it something else.
    2006 Giant OCR2 Carbon
    Raleigh Venture 4.0

the_rydster
    I came across this thread whilst eating my lunch......said lunch is now in bin. Just thinking about this thread gives me a horrible wincing feeling below.

/now I will eat more bran

MORE MINIMALISM DANG IT!!
    Thrombosed and eventually abscessed internally for me. Wound up in the ER for Emergency Surgery. Took about two years for everything to really clear up and heal properly. Please be careful.
    Wannabe Minimalist

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm surprised that no one has made a hickey on a hemorrhoid comment... YET!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HOOKEM
    Thrombosed and eventually abscessed internally for me. Wound up in the ER for Emergency Surgery. Took about two years for everything to really clear up and heal properly. Please be careful.
    Now that's gotta hurt!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2007
    Hemorroids sound like they're a pain in the a$$!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004
    I developed a hemorrhoid just before Christmas last year. I continued to ride and used Preparation H to help it go down. It never really hurt while riding, only after a bowel movement. It did take several weeks before it went away entirely.

Listen to your body. Go for a shorter ride and if you feel okay, keep on riding while using the ointment. If you do not feel okay, stop, although I would error on the side of caution. I think where most of us get into trouble is that we are riding and do not really feel the pain until after you get off the bike. By then, you've already gone too far.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast