mtnroadie

Hero bus driver blocks hit and run driver

Dont know if this has been posted yet, but check this out...

Bethlehem Car v Bike Crash Hit and Run.wmv - YouTube

We need cameras on our helmets with proxity sensors, get within 5 feet and you will be recorded.

RoadBikeReview Member

road is too fast

Bravo for the bus driver, and happy for the cyclist that looks OK, but that road is too fast and dangerous for cycling

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    My friend knows this guy. He's a very expeirenced rider and active in the bike community. Amazingly, he suffered no injuries.

Ironically, the day he was hit, was the same day PA instituted the new bike safety law.
    Pennsylvania Has New Bike Safety Law

This is a VERY dangerous bridge. There is a bike lane on the opposite side of the bridge, but the direction he was traveling has no bike lane and no shoulder.

If you look at the video where the bus is parked sideways, this is what's attached to the light pole at the end of the bridge. Just last year a cyclist was killed there.

Greater Philadelphia Bicycle News: Honor Ride in Bethlehem for Fallen Cyclist Patrick Ytsma

donuts?
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Be Was View Post
    Bravo for the bus driver, and happy for the cyclist that looks OK, but that road is too fast and dangerous for cycling
    huh? i think the speed limit is 35 MPH. the problem isn't the road...
    -Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain
    Next time, save your energy for tomorrows ride and try not to come in 6th.

mtnroadie
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    My friend knows this guy. He's a very expeirenced rider and active in the bike community. Amazingly, he suffered no injuries.

Ironically, the day he was hit, was the same day PA instituted the new bike safety law.
    Pennsylvania Has New Bike Safety Law

This is a VERY dangerous bridge. There is a bike lane on the opposite side of the bridge, but the direction he was traveling has no bike lane and no shoulder.

If you look at the video where the bus is parked sideways, this is what's attached to the light pole at the end of the bridge. Just last year a cyclist was killed there.

Greater Philadelphia Bicycle News: Honor Ride in Bethlehem for Fallen Cyclist Patrick Ytsma
    Glad to hear that he is ok. Hope he is pressing all the charges possible.

Sounds like the idiot driver chose the wrong cyclist to rage on.

I am just curious, if anyone knows, male or female driver?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

not the best road for bikes

Quote Originally Posted by mtnroadie View Post
    Dont know if this has been posted yet, but check this out...

Bethlehem Car v Bike Crash Hit and Run.wmv - YouTube

We need cameras on our helmets with proxity sensors, get within 5 feet and you will be recorded.
    I lived in Bethlehem many years back. It would never have occurred to me to ride a bike across the Fahy bridge. Definitely not bike friendly

RoadBikeReview Member
    Why not just use the walking path to the right? Sure you'll have to go slow so you can give pedestrians room as you pass them, but it seems safer than getting hit by a car.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    The sign says cyclists can use the full lane, but I think I would pass. It looks like a stretch of road where people will routinely exceed the 35 mph speed limit by 10 to 15 mph. There's no bail out area except up and over the concrete barrier wall.

banned
    Mar 2012
    I'm glad the bus driver blocked the route so the hit and run driver couldn't escape. That road looks dangerous as there's no shoulder. Aren't bikes allowed on the sidewalk while they are crossing the bridge?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I Googled this and the local news article said the driver was charged with two traffic violations. Does this mean he just got a couple of tickets?! Isn't leaving the scene of an accident a crime in PA?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009
    I looked but couldn't find anymore information on this the above referenced article.

Bethlehem cyclist injured in Fahy Bridge crash on first day of Pennsylvania's new bike law | lehighvalleylive.com

I don't mind riding on roads without a shoulder, but blocked in like this I would feel there is no way out.