Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013

High quality clothing (jersey/bib) kits?

I just started riding and I only have 2 bibs and 2 jerseys... but Im finding myself riding about 5-6 days a week which in my mind... is kinda gross if I dont wash them every other day. But washing them every other day is a pita!

So...

One of those "kits" (I really dont know the proper name of the jersey/bib combo) I bought is a "Pissei". (spelling?) And it was actually cheaper than buying a jersey and bib separately. So, Im curious if anyone can give pointers/suggestions to buy some bibs/jerseys/combos (I really dont care about it matching) because I want to buy at least 5 sets so I only have to wash once a week versus every other day.

I mention, in the title, "high quality" because that pissei combo feels great and unlike my current IP jersey/bib... it is not getting the "tears/runs" in them. (again... the proper wording is failing me.)

Thanks in advance.

(PS. If it matters... im more of a 2xl or 3xl fit because I dont like them too tight. I know I know... but I have a gut and Im in the riding for health not to be faster than my fellow rider.)

Not a rocket surgeon.

RoadBikeReview Member

Re: High quality clothing (jersey/bib) kits?

Dhb stuff from wiggle is brilliant I have found

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2013
    I have found that an inexpensive alternative to cycling kits are wrestling singlets.

Easily found for less than $30, so you can stock up!

High quality clothing (jersey/bib) kits?-singlet.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    How long are you riding, and how much do you want to spend? ;-) At one point in time, I had over a dozen jerseys/bibs but found that I'm sticking to 3-4 as my favorites. It also got expensive quickly when I shrunk from XL to L to M I can't use about 6 of my jerseys because they've become too loose.

Perhaps buy 2-3 high-quality ones and then 3-4 "everyday/commute" kits?

I've been happy with the higher-end offerings of Capo and Assos (jersey / bib). Voler is my choice for "everyday" jerseys.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    +1 on Capo. They fit and wear well. I also think its worth mentioning they have great customer service. I had a jersey that a seam opened and they took it back and replaced with not much more then a phone call.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    I've got a number of custom kits that I've collected over the years. They look Greta and ride well. I Recently purchased some Pearl Izumi with their innercool fabric and it is a night and day difference. The innercool is much more comfortable in the heat. I would not have believed this had I not done back to back 100 mile rides.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    I would avoid the male stripper costumes suggested by "pacific" unless you want to be the laughingstock of your local roads.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011

Re: High quality clothing (jersey/bib) kits?

I like Garneau. Also Descente if you can find them. I would not spend too much on jerseys. Tend to accumulate over time.

Pricepoint store brand is good for inexpensive stuff. Aerotech is only slightly more and a nice quality. Most of it honestly for me is about fit.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by pacific View Post
    I have found that an inexpensive alternative to cycling kits are wrestling singlets.
    lol, I am really tempted to buy one!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    I like Capo. It fits well, and is durable. It is very light weight as well

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by pacific View Post

Easily found for less than $30, so you can stock up!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	singlet.jpg 
Views:	341 
Size:	247.4 KB 
ID:	284764

Too funny! Thank you for the laugh!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by genux View Post
    How long are you riding, and how much do you want to spend? ;-) At one point in time, I had over a dozen jerseys/bibs but found that I'm sticking to 3-4 as my favorites. It also got expensive quickly when I shrunk from XL to L to M I can't use about 6 of my jerseys because they've become too loose.

Perhaps buy 2-3 high-quality ones and then 3-4 "everyday/commute" kits?

I've been happy with the higher-end offerings of Capo and Assos (jersey / bib). Voler is my choice for "everyday" jerseys.
    For a super-duper clydesdale like me... Im riding about 30 miles a day 3-4xweekday and almost 100miles on weekend. (Split between sat and sun.)

I definitely hear you when I need to make sure that if i buy too many now and I lose the weight... i will be wasting money. Hence the idea of getting the 2-3 high quality kits is a great idea.

How much do I want to spend? Well, the way Im looking at it is if I go to REI and get an IP bib Elite/PRO it will cost $150-175 and then an IP jersey which will cost $100. I bought the Pissei kit for $200 and thats a nice quality cloth.

Pro Bike Enthusiast
    I have never had any issues with the Pearl Izumi sleeveless

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Do not go out and buy 5 or anything. You can do all the research in the world but you won't know for sure if something really works for you until you get some miles on it.
    Buy 1, if you like it, get 4 more. If you don't, try something else.

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikes4Life View Post
    I have never had any issues with the Pearl Izumi sleeveless
    Except that its sleeveless.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2013
    In terms of high quality clothing, it's all pretty subjective...I started out using pearl izumi and then decided to venture into rapha and then into assos realm. The problem is that the rapha and assos realm of clothing is $$$$ but once you get use to it and how comfortable it is (for me) it's hard not to only want to wear the money stuff. So the warning is that, when you venture into high end clothing, you may not be able to go back to "normal stuff." And the quality of Assos I feel is above the rest, quality is as perfect as a piece of clothing can get in terms of bib shorts and jerseys and even baselayers. Guess that's why they have a cult-like following...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Do not go out and buy 5 or anything. You can do all the research in the world but you won't know for sure if something really works for you until you get some miles on it.
    Buy 1, if you like it, get 4 more. If you don't, try something else.
    Excellent advice. You can also get less expensive items for your shorter rides and save the good stuff for the longer rides. For example I have a couple of pairs of the Nashbar S2 shorts that are fine for rides of less than 3 hours. I got them on sale for $27.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tihsepa View Post
    x2 good quality at good prices

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    The Performance bib shorts are a pretty good deal for around $70. I buy a lot of jerseys off of chainlove.com for pretty cheap. I tend to avoid matching "team" shorts and jerseys because they look silly. I did recently pull up next to some dork in a TDF yellow jersey and ask for his autograph. He didn't seem as amused as I was.

I find that cycling clothing is something that accumulates over time. Especially the winter stuff.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Hincapie bibs are my favorite for short to intermediate rides. Rapha for longer ones.

I bought a bunch of random jerseys and shorts on eBay so that I don't have to laundry too often.

Lol at the amazon ad haha

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Thank you and i appreciate all the advice and knowledge.

Whats your opinion on buying from ebay? (Didnt think of it until it was mentioned.) And I am thinking that there is a growing theme.. by a couple of nice ones for the good rides and the rest can be meh for those daily training rides.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    I think you get what you pay for with cycling clothes. Higher priced bibs and jerseys...especially bibs...fit better, have better chamois, and last longer. Ultimately, you save money because you don't keep spending money as you try to find better fitting clothing, and you don't keep replacing clothing that doesn't last (including things like elastic losing it's elasticity, etc.).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eric.radhik View Post
    Thank you and i appreciate all the advice and knowledge.

Whats your opinion on buying from ebay? (Didnt think of it until it was mentioned.) And I am thinking that there is a growing theme.. by a couple of nice ones for the good rides and the rest can be meh for those daily training rides.
    eBay can be tricky because some companies do euro sizing vs American sizing. But a google search will usually give you an idea of a particular brands fit.

Having a few jerseys is nice for the pockets. Not all my kit is particularly stylish. Some you will only wear for a few hrs a week so no need to get assos everything.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Ive heard nothing but positive reviews of Raphas jerseys and bibs (except the horrendous see-through jerseys Sky used during TdF) . Considering it myself, it is pretty expensive though.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast