Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Bike Wing Conspiracy

Hit a pedestrian on the Brooklyn Bridge yesterday - 6pm

If anyone here saw the scene on the bridge yesterday - I was involved.

Coming down the Brooklyn side a pedestrian stepped/jumped out into the bike path. There was no time for me to react and I ended up t-boning the woman. It was horrendous. The impact, me flying through the air, landing 15 feet away from my bike which caught up on the fence on the bridge, the blood pooling on the ground, the firemen that arrived with the backboard, the husband of the woman screaming at me in italian and broken english, the police questioning me, bystanders gawking/taking pictures/crying.

I escaped with minimal injuries. I scraped an elbow and my hip. My rib cage is bruised on my left side. It hurts in certain places where I am sure I rolled after the impact. Nothing worse than road rash and a few bruises.

My bike suffered the loss of the front wheel. The rim is bent beyond repair. Bar end caps popped out. The forks have some pretty bad scratches now.

The husband started yelling at me saying I was going too fast and I lost it. I yelled back at him that I didnt see a radar gun in his possession so he had no way of knowing how fast I was going. The adrenaline, anger, thinking I might have killed the woman and fear for what the police were going to do made me almost psychotic at the scene. People had to calm me down and the husband finally stopped yelling at me.

The police questioned me at the scene and after I told them the woman stepped out into the middle of the bikepath he checked with all the witnesses. Everyone there corroborated what I told them so they let me go. I asked it they were going to write me a ticket and they said there was no reason to. The firemen took the woman away on a backboard. I think her nose was broken. The blood dripping out of her was ugly.

Woke up today after dropping 3 advil and drinking 3 Torpedos last night. The impact points are starting to set in. The shower was tough with the scraped up arm. I had nightmares during the night of the impact and flying over the bars.

At least I didnt break anything and I was able to walk away from it. I might start taking the Manhattan bridge home going forward.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hit a pedestrian on the Brooklyn Bridge yesterday - 6pm-img_5494.jpg   Hit a pedestrian on the Brooklyn Bridge yesterday - 6pm-img_5495.jpg  
    Last edited by onespeed; 08-31-2012 at 11:13 AM. Reason: word usage

Big is relative
    Don't post about the accident. The first thing the pedestrian's atty will do is check the internet and find this and use it against you in court. See if you can get your post deleted.
    Retired sailor

Bike Wing Conspiracy

There is nothing for them to go after me for.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    Don't post about the accident. The first thing the pedestrian's atty will do is check the internet and find this and use it against you in court. See if you can get your post deleted.
    The facts are pretty simple. I hit the woman after she stepped into a clearly marked bike path and she suffered injuries. I would welcome a lawsuit from them to sure them right back.

My account of the accident was corroborated by everyone at the scene including a rider that was behind me. Nobody will say anything different.

banned
    You sir are full of it. You know how I know you are full of it? When you asked if the police were going to give you a ticket? No one would ask for a ticket. So, in short you are a phony. Quit making up stories.

Bike Wing Conspiracy

Dude, I wanted to make sure I was in the clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Sisophous View Post
    You sir are full of it. You know how I know you are full of it? When you asked if the police were going to give you a ticket? No one would ask for a ticket. So, in short you are a phony. Quit making up stories.
    I asked them straight out if they were going to ticket me after they questioned me.

Why would I make this up?

Fecal indicator
    posting the sentence..."I was the cause of it..."

duh...

not smart.
    eff all y'all...

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by onespeed View Post
    I asked them straight out if they were going to ticket me after they questioned me.

Why would I make this up?
    You are the reason why I have not been back to this forum in so long, too many fabricated stories. She jumps into the bike lane, you hit her and then ask for a ticket? Which is it? Was she wrong but you still beg for the ticket?

Bike Wing Conspiracy

Then keep going. Nobody asked you to come back.

Quote Originally Posted by Sisophous View Post
    You are the reason why I have not been back to this forum in so long, too many fabricated stories. She jumps into the bike lane, you hit her and then ask for a ticket? Which is it? Was she wrong but you still beg for the ticket?
    As I said, I wanted to be sure I was not in the wrong. Asking the cops if they were going to ticket me seemed like the surest way to determine that. After they said no I told them I was going to leave. And that is exactly what I did, I left.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Both the bike and foot path are far to narrow for all the traffic that they get. You can't meet someone head on without going in the other lane. I'm not surprised this happened. Sorry about the bike.
    ---
    Trek Domane 5.2
    Cannondale Rush SL

Schmuck
    Dec 2004
    So you were crossing a known crowded area on a downhill so fast that an impact caused you to sustain injuries and send you flying fifteen feet and cause significant damage to the bike.

I could not care less if you were rightfully in the bike lane. You had ZERO business going that fast on that bridge and especially at that time of day. ZERO.

We have enough of a issue right now with cyclists being viewed terribly in NYC.

Thanks for being part of the problem.

Bike Wing Conspiracy

Moving 15 feet forward from your bike

Quote Originally Posted by RkFast View Post
    So you were crossing a known crowded area so fast that an impact caused you to sustain injuries and send you flying fifteen feet and cause significant damage to the bike.

This really pisses me off.

I could not care less if you were in the bike lane. You had ZERO business going that fast on that bridge. ZERO.

We have enough of a issue right now with cyclists being viewed terribly in NYC.

Thanks for being part of the problem.
    does not mean I was going fast. I cross the bridge every weekday for 10 years and this is the first time this has happened. I would say it was bound to happen sometime.

I walked away from it. I think I would be in worse shape if I was going really fast.

Be mad all you want. I am mad too. I got hurt by a pedestrian. The pedestrian ruined my bike and injured me. Why dont you read the riot act to pedestrians who break the law and dont pay attention?

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Woke up today after dropping 3 advil and drinking 3 Torpedos last night. The impact points are starting to set in. The shower was tough with the scraped up arm. I had nightmares during the night of the impact and flying over the bars.

At least I didnt break anything and I was able to walk away from it. I might start taking the Manhattan bridge home going forward.
    Glad everything turned out okay, sorry to see a good bike get trashed.

I wouldn't mix alcohol with Advil.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Wow... glad you aren't hurt more. Too bad about the front wheel.

It's mind boggling the amount of people that walk/jump onto the bikeways without so much as a sideways glance to check if anyone's coming.

Big is relative
    The facts are pretty simple. Nobody will say anything different.
    Willing to bet your life savings and future earnings on it? It was stupid to post about, now you're set up for a lawsuit, it doesn't matter whether there was a ticket or not, the pedestrian was injured by a bike that was going fast on a multi-use area.

You've done a stupid thing, try to get this entire thread deleted.
    Retired sailor

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    The facts are pretty simple. I hit the woman after she stepped into a clearly marked bike path and she suffered injuries. I would welcome a lawsuit from them to sure them right back.

My account of the accident was corroborated by everyone at the scene including a rider that was behind me. Nobody will say anything different.
    Don't underestimate the power that some lawyers have because people have won weaker cases. The facts you state are from your perspective. The witnesses you have, if they are at your disposal, can be countered with the witnesses that possible victims have in their possession.

I wasn't there so you might be right about all this. I'm just saying that if it were that easy, they wouldn't have a trial in the first place. Good luck.

I guess, the one thing I could think about that could possibly go against you is that you still hit the woman in the back. Yes, she did get into your lane, but because you hit her, her lawyers might question how fast you were going that you couldn't get out of the way...I don't know just playing advocate. By the way, how fast were you going?

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Just because the cops told you that you weren't "in the wrong" doesn't mean you weren't. And just because they didn't give you a ticket doesn't mean this woman can't get an ambulance chaser lawyer and sue you for injuries. Broken nose? Neck injury? Back injury? If she doesn't have insurance, she's not going to want to pay the ambulance and hospital charges.
    What you think you saw of her injuries may not be the extent of them. Real or made up. Do you want to defend yourself in court? It's not cheap.

Delete your post. It's prefect fodder for a lawyer.
    If she's at fault, you should be suing her for your damages.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Man, take this post down now!! Last thing you need is a civil lawsuit. Lots of out-of-job lawyers looking for nickles and dimes these days. Just take it down!

not that I doubt your story, or believe in it 100% either, but please take your post down in case they decide to sue in civil court, and in a civil court you still might lose because the requirement for "guilt" is much lower, and who do you think the juries are going to be more sympathic toward? you? or the woman? As I see it, you barely get sympathies in here, and we're supposed to be on your side.

Think.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Just because the cops told you that you weren't "in the wrong" doesn't mean you weren't. And just because they didn't give you a ticket doesn't mean this woman can't get an ambulance chaser lawyer and sue you for injuries. Broken nose? Neck injury? Back injury? If she doesn't have insurance, she's not going to want to pay the ambulance and hospital charges.
    What you think you saw of her injuries may not be the extent of them. Real or made up. Do you want to defend yourself in court? It's not cheap.

Just curious, if these victims hired a lawyer then would that lawyer immediately be searching an internet forum? If I weren't a cyclist, I wouldn't even think to look for it.

But you're right, the things said here can totally go against defendant.

Bike Wing Conspiracy

I dont have a clue as the exact speed I was going.

Quote Originally Posted by rkdvsm View Post
    Don't underestimate the power that some lawyers have because people have won weaker cases. The facts you state are from your perspective. The witnesses you have, if they are at your disposal, can be countered with the witnesses that possible victims have in their possession.

I wasn't there so you might be right about all this. I'm just saying that if it were that easy, they wouldn't have a trial in the first place. Good luck.

I guess, the one thing I could think about that could possibly go against you is that you still hit the woman in the back. Yes, she did get into your lane, but because you hit her lawyers might question how fast you were going that you couldn't get out of the way...I don't know just playing advocate. By the way, how fast were you going?
    I wouldnt even try to guess my speed except to say it was not fast. Nobody there said I was going fast either.

I didnt hit her in the back. I hit her head on. She was facing towards and walking towards me at the time of impact.

They were tourists on the Brooklyn Bridge. I dont think they will pursue a case that is not likely to win from across the ocean. I cant think of a lawyer that would take a case for plaintiffs not in the country with all facts against their client.

Bike Wing Conspiracy

Like i said, I welcome a suit from them.

Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post

It would give me the opportunity to sue them right back.

Bike Wing Conspiracy

The lawsuit would go both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    Man, take this post down now!! Last thing you need is a civil lawsuit. Lots of out-of-job lawyers looking for nickles and dimes these days. Just take it down!

not that I doubt your story, or believe in it 100% either, but please take your post down in case they decide to sue in civil court, and in a civil court you still might lose because the requirement for "guilt" is much lower, and who do you think the juries are going to be more sympathic toward? you? or the woman? As I see it, you barely get sympathies in here, and we're supposed to be on your side.

Think.
    I would welcome a suit from them.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rkdvsm View Post
    Just curious, if these victims hired a lawyer then would that lawyer immediately be searching an internet forum?
    Hell yes!!
    My father's a lawyer. He has a PI who works for him. Their job is to find stuff... like this.

I just did a search on Yahoo.. 4 words... "pedestrian hit brooklyn bridge"

1st hit..
    Queensboro Bridge Pedestrian Struck, Injured By Speeding Cyclist: Gothamist

2nd hit...
    THIS THREAD. "Hit a pedestrian on the Brooklyn Bridge yesterday - 6pm ..."

And I'm not even a PI.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm thinking you shouldn't listen to all the fear mongers. We can't all go around afraid of litigation constantly, how is that any way to live? The police felt no reason to press changes and there are witnesses to that effect. The lane is clearly marked for bikes and she stepped in your way with predictable results. If anything she should be compensating you.
    ---
    Trek Domane 5.2
    Cannondale Rush SL

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I would welcome a suit from them.
    Wow! That's quite foolish unless you have deep pockets and a lawyer on retainer. Right or wrong... defending yourself will be very expensive.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RyleyinSTL View Post
    I'm thinking you shouldn't listen to all the fear mongers. We can't all go around afraid of litigation constantly, how is that any way to live? The police felt no reason to press changes and there are witnesses to that effect. The lane is clearly marked for bikes and she stepped in your way with predictable results. If anything she should be compensating you.
    No we shouldn't live in fear constantly. But it's also not wise to publicly announce you caused an accident. You've just increased your odds of expensive litigation 10 fold.

The police not charging him has 0% to do with a civil lawsuit.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast