Hitch mounted bike racks

Printable View

• 06-20-2012
    PoorCyclist
    Hitch mounted bike racks
    I am new to SUV's and towing hitch in general..

If I get a bike rack, I think it's Saris that makes a really good one that mounts to the tow hitch, it seems obvious that I cannot open the hatch if I want to put another bike inside the cabin...

How much work does it take to remove the rack so the hatch can open?
  • 06-20-2012
    tlg
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PoorCyclist View Post
    I am new to SUV's and towing hitch in general..

If I get a bike rack, I think it's Saris that makes a really good one that mounts to the tow hitch, it seems obvious that I cannot open the hatch if I want to put another bike inside the cabin...

How much work does it take to remove the rack so the hatch can open?

Some hitch racks can fold down or swing to the side. Some also have extenders and sit farther away from your vehicle so you can open your hatch.

Removing a hitch rack isn't really a big deal. It's just one pin.
  • 06-20-2012
    JCavilia
    What he said. Technically, the rack is not mounted to a hitch, but to a "receiver," a square tube that is bolted or welded to the car frame, and into which a hitch can be attached. Attaching a bike rack involves sliding the rack's pipe into the receiver and tightening a bolt. To remove, unthread and remove bolt, and slide the pipe out.

Saris, Thule and several other companies make good ones. The fold-down feature is handy if you're going to be doing a lot of loading and unloading.
  • 06-20-2012
    tlg
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    Attaching a bike rack involves sliding the rack's pipe into the receiver and tightening a bolt. To remove, unthread and remove bolt, and slide the pipe out.

Even faster if you use a hitch pin. ANd more secure if you get a locking hitch pin.
    https://encrypted-tbn1.google.com/im...kNVGNn3TH4YG4G
  • 06-20-2012
    JCavilia
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Even faster if you use a hitch pin. ANd more secure if you get a locking hitch pin.[/IMG]

good point
  • 06-20-2012
    pakrz
    I have a Thule and love it. It secures four bikes and lays down after removing one pin so you can gain access to the rear cargo area of the SUV.
  • 06-20-2012
    dcorn
    Google 1upUSA. I'll likely be switching to a hitch mount rack and this one gets rave reviews. It tilts down so you can open the hatch.
  • 06-20-2012
    tednugent
    mountain bikers seem to like the pricier 1up rack

I have a Yakima holdup, which tilts down to allow trunk access. platform style are heavier than hanging & tend to be more expensive. the premium platform styles hold the bike by the wheels (instead of the frame)

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/a...t/e250b675.jpg
  • 06-20-2012
    ddimick
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dcorn View Post
    Google 1upUSA. I'll likely be switching to a hitch mount rack and this one gets rave reviews. It tilts down so you can open the hatch.

1UPUSA is the best but most expensive answer. I love mine. If I'm only running a single tray I can open the rear door on my 4Runner while it's in the stowed position. More than one tray, or if I have bikes loaded in it, it can be easily rotated down so the door will clear.
  • 06-20-2012
    willieboy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dcorn View Post

+1 I like my 1upUSA rack very much. Really well built. You can mount the rack and bike in less than 30 seconds and it only touched the tires.
  • 06-21-2012
    hamsey
    Kuat!
  • 06-21-2012
    tlg
    My GF got one of these off ebay. $50 shipped. I that it was going to be a POS. Well it's kinda cheap and flimsy, but all it is, is a few tubes and bolts. Surprisingly it holds two bikes pretty secure. They don't move around at all. And she can open the tailgate with it attached (without bikes installed).
    http://www.optioneparts.com/eparts/aj2bike.jpg
  • 06-21-2012
    Blue CheeseHead
    I just picked up a Saris Cycle On rack that fits 4 bikes yesterday. With no bikes on it, the hatch can be opened, but one would have to stretch to reach over it to get thing out of the tailgate. As others said, if you need better access you just pull the pin and slide it out. The Cycle On is a great rack that holds the bike by the wheels, not the frame.
  • 06-21-2012
    looigi
    FWIW, lots of hitch mount and other bike rack options here:

Trailer Hitch | etrailer.com
  • 06-21-2012
    PoorCyclist
    Thanks, I am also considering roof rack on a SUV? Is it hard to get to the bike due to the height (66" roof), will I need a step stool with me?
  • 06-21-2012
    NWS Alpine
    I think that depends on your size and the bike weight. It's no problem putting my CAAD10 which is aroun 16-17lbs on it. Would be harder with a 30lbs bike. Also I would not expect my gf to be able to get the bikes on the roof.
  • 06-21-2012
    PoorCyclist
    the vehicle i am about to buy comes with OEM 1.25" hitch, is it true many bike racks needs 2"? How do you get around this issue?

I am interested in a rack that holds the wheels as it will be used to hold carbon bikes. Saris Thelma I think? Seems like they say it's compatible with 1 1/4 and 2"
  • 06-21-2012
    looigi
    Quote:

the vehicle i am about to buy comes with OEM 1.25" hitch, is it true many bike racks needs 2"? How do you get around this issue?

Get it without the optional OEM hitch and get an aftermarket 2" hitch?
  • 06-21-2012
    tednugent
    Quote:

I am interested in a rack that holds the wheels as it will be used to hold carbon bikes. Saris Thelma I think? Seems like they say it's compatible with 1 1/4 and 2"

if you need to carry more than 2 bikes, then you'll need 2" receiver

the issue is the tongue weight limits & platform racks are already quite beefy as it is
  • 06-22-2012
    Montyaloofah
    I will endorse the swagman XTC-2. The hitch pin is anti-wobble. My bike feels very secure in there. And it's doesn't cost an arm and a leg
  • 06-22-2012
    blu555
    I got a Kuat rack, in part because it can work with a 2" or a 1.25" receiver and because it is aluminum so the wife can handle installing it. Looked at a Thule, but the thing weighs like 55 lbs, the Kuat is around 25 lbs. The Kuat tilts down so the rear hatch can be opened, cant open it all the way with mtn bikes, but I can with the road bikes on the rack. Its expensive, but I am pretty happy with it.
  • 06-22-2012
    Schlitzer
    My Saris came standard to fit a 1.25 inch receiver, with a 2" adapter. You should be covered. I have the Saris that attaches to the frame, no signs of wear on my CF bike after toting it over 2K miles (Mostly highway and primary roads). My 2 bike Saris has the quick fold-down feature, and it's nice. The bikes won't touch the ground if you have to lower it while bikes are racked.
  • 06-23-2012
    Sixjours
    Thule vertex here, the hitch pin is a screw in type, once tight, no wobble, I leave a ratchet in the trunk, easier then the wrench provided, folds out without bike, thule are great products.
  • 06-23-2012
    looigi
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sixjours View Post
    Thule vertex here, the hitch pin is a screw in type, once tight, no wobble, I leave a ratchet in the trunk...

Yes. I keep a ratchet handle, extension, and socket with the rack so it's always handy to quickly and easily to put the rack on and off hitch.