Downhill Juggernaut

Holy Smokes! 100 Degrees

Man, it hit 100 today. I did a 50 mile ride late this morning and finished up around 1300. Thought it was a bit warm, but didn't realize how warm it was until I just sat down to watch the news. Man this is going to be a tough summer. Heck, it's already a tough spring. It was around 94 degrees when I finished up this afternoon.

For all you Texas people out there, be careful and remember to not only hydrate, but wear sunscreen as well!
    If running were a person I would try to sabotage their life so that they were poor and drunk and living in the gutter pulling half smoked cigarettes from ashtrays in front of the Target. - Joe Daddio

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    I show 101, thats just ridiculous. By the way, thanks for the reply on the rides in fort worth.

RoadBikeReview Member
    At least its not humid. It won't be long though.

Downhill Juggernaut
    No problem. Maybe I'll see you out there at one of them. I try to hit at least one of them once a month or so...
    If running were a person I would try to sabotage their life so that they were poor and drunk and living in the gutter pulling half smoked cigarettes from ashtrays in front of the Target. - Joe Daddio

Bacon!

Come ride out here with me

Snowed last night. High of 47 today. High of 73 by Friday. Anyone want to go skiing? We've had nonstop snow for almost 2 1/2 months now. . .

Not sure I'll ever get some consistent riding in.

“To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case my enemy is a varmint. And a varmint will never quit — ever. They’re like the Viet Cong — Varmint Cong. So you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower.”

JP
    Lizzie will ride free
    Oh yeah, well I had leg warmers, long sleeve jersey, long sleeve under layer, long finger gloves, thermal shoes, and a wind vest. But it didn't rain!

Downhill Juggernaut
    I've never seen enough snow on the ground to do more than build a dirt covered snow man that stood about 16 inches high...

I don't think I could survive in that stuff!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Yup. Thankfully I had time to ride before noon today. First all the STRONG winds we've had this season, and now premature heat. DFW could solidify its nickname as the concrete skillet if this keeps up. Sunscreen and hydration are just as important as air in the tubes.

I always try to find a place to cruise through on the way back home with an automatic sprinkler that I can ride through for a little refresher.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I did some mountain biking Sunday morning - then later in the day I took my single speed out for a dam loop here in Austin. 45 miles or so. On the way I struck up a conversation with another rider, and it turns out he is a Cat 2. Word of advice. Never try to keep up with a Cat 2 on a climb on a single speed bike in 102 degree heat. Bad combination. 3/4 of the way up from the dam (about a 1.5 to 2 mile climb) I started feel nauseous and clammy. Heart was racing too. Nice. I stopped, but realized I wasn't recovering well baking in the heat on the side of the road. I pretty much had to ride the rest of it - although as slowly as possible. When I crested the top a nice breeze cooled me off a lot - that and I stopped and drained the rest of both of my water bottles.

Be carefull. I normally do very well in the heat but we're at that time of year where we're still acclimating I guess.

RoadBikeReview's Member
    Sep 2005
    65, 70 degrees here in Central IL
    beautiful!
    well, cept that for school we have to run 2 miles a day in fitness, indoor 100m track, no AC or anything, building built in 1893 if i remember right.
    110 degrees probably in there, running in circles, then going outside, hot as hell!
    but outside of after PE, it's wonderful!
    (and well, PE you just walk back to the school shirtless... our PE is in a diff building, 2 blocks away, so you walk slowly w/o a shirt, cool off to the point where the sweat's not dripping anymore. yes, i use a towel, but it's hot.
    I'm NOT looking forward to summer. it's gonna be HOT!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Blastards! It is 36 degrees (Farenheit!) as I write. And wet. You all suck! This is my first "spring" in Norway, and it is disturbing how late the sun goes down- already. If it were back in the US, it would be the peak of summer, so it really plays mind games considering how cold it is.

Moderatus Puisne
    In Seattle, today it did every weather imaginable.

Five hour ride began at 40degrees - leg warmers, wool socks, booties, jersey, wind vest, arm warmers, hat, long finger gloves + liners.

Rained a bit, then got sunny. Removed arm warmers + glove liners. Started to rain, changed its mind and hailed. Back on they go. Then it got sunny, then sprinkled a bit, then got up to about 55 degrees, and took off arm warmers, gloves, switched leg warmers for knee warmers, unzipped vest.

Gottta love the Pacnw.

RoadBikeReview Member

houston, only 90deg yesterday

it was only 90 deg here yesterday, but humid!
    i only rode about 4 miles though (2 miles and back) to a local restuarant to meet people for dinner, so it wasn't so bad.