I luv riding in WA
    Jan 2002

Homemade bars and/or gels?

Hi,

I'm surely not the only cheap bastad in here who makes his/her own bars/gels and I'm curious as to what your favourite recipe is. Presently I'm experimenting with a mixture of molasses and honey in a gel flask for indoor sessions, taste isn't bad if I go 50%m, 30%h, 20%H2O.
    What do you use?

Cheers,
    Dave

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Gel

I dilute honey with water and add salt substitute for my gel. Maybe I'll try adding molasses.

Bro aka Cheap *******

Quote Originally Posted by CalgaryDave
    Hi,

I'm surely not the only cheap bastad in here who makes his/her own bars/gels and I'm curious as to what your favourite recipe is. Presently I'm experimenting with a mixture of molasses and honey in a gel flask for indoor sessions, taste isn't bad if I go 50%m, 30%h, 20%H2O.
    What do you use?

Cheers,
    Dave

RoadBikeReview Member
    I tried a couple of things suggested here but didn't like any of them.

Every little counts...
    I go down to the brewer's supply store and buy a bag of maltodextrin powder. This is a complex carbohydrate, and does not tast sweet.

Using a measuring cup (better if you have a scale) 80g is 320 Calories (4 Cal. per gram) and is what you would expect to consume every hour during a race.

I measure 100ml of regular strength energy drink and dissolve the above portion of maltodextrose (easier to make 4-5 portions at a time) in them. Using gel flasks (from a running store) I portion it out by 125 ml or so, to get around 300 Calorie liquid packs.

This is not gel, it is a slightly thick liquid. It works very very well for me. Don't spill any, it turns into the most amazing superglue (all over face, hands, bike, etc.).

About $0.20 per portion. Beats the $5.00 for 300 Cal Enervit or Extran shots.!
    Last edited by Spunout; 02-20-2004 at 11:09 AM. Reason: change dextrose to dextrin.

RoadBikeReview Member

How to make the Real thing

You need to get the following ingridients:

Brew Store

Maltodextrin - Comes in many packages or bulk. Ranges from $2-5 a pound. Get this cheap as it is the main ingridient!
    Citric Acid
    Calcium Carbonate

Grocery Store (QFC)

Fructose - Sold in bulk at QFC, get around 2 lbs, it'll last a long time.
    Pectin
    Sea Salt - Also found in bulk, you don't need much.
    Flavor Extract
    Gin (optional for those using non-alcohol based flavor extracts)
    To package the GU efficiently, buy Collagen tubes from REI ($2 for a two pack). These seem to be the best way to carry GU into the mountains and in jersey pockets. The following proportions will make one Collagen tube perfectly:

Suppliment Store:

Branched chain amino acids (all three): These are SO important and pretty expensive. Grind them up in a mortar and pestle.

200 mL - Maltodextrin
    50 mL - Fructose
    100 mL - Water
    Carefully measure out the above ingredients, and mix them togeather lightly. Bring the water to steaming hot and slowly wisk in the maltodextrin/fructose mix. Once this is done, mix in a "pinch" of Citric acid, calcium carbonate, sea salt, and pectin. Wisk on med heat until all the lumps are gone. Now you are ready to add your flavor of choice. Almond extract is a staple flavor, but one can get more creative! Make sure that you add some gin if you are not using an alcohol based extract less your GU have a nasty after taste!

The proportions I have found to work have been producing "stable" liquidy GU. Even slight variations in the ratio of maltodextrin to water cause major differences in the consistency of the GU. A little too much water and your have a clear sugary liquid, not enough and you'll have GU-chew! Below I have grabbed the ingredients list for authentic GU off thier website. I have chosen to leave out some of the harder to find ingredients that they use like amino acids, who knows wether they make a difference. Read the marketing and come to your own conclusion!

I started using this recipe for mountaineering. It works very well on my 24 hour climbing marathons. One other things that really helps is chocolate covered espresso beans. Caffine releases fatty acids into your bloodstream with offers 9 kcal of energy/g as compared to 4 kcal from protien and carbs (there is a little more to this story, but I won't bore you with the biochemisty.)

I hope this helps,
    Doug

scruffy nerf herder

wait...at what point do you put in the amino acids?

and how much to put in????
    so sayeth the funk....

Chris

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The RBR Lounge. You won't ever find a more wretched hive of scum and villany. We must be cautious."

Charismatic Megafauna

This looks killer! Thanks!

Are you serious about the gin or are you pulling our legs?

Anyhow, it looks much more appetzing and effective than my attempt to make gel this winter. (Honey, molasses, maltose, hershey' s syrup and coffee concentrate.)
    BE...STIFF! -- Lene Lovich

RoadBikeReview Member
    My recipe for goo is simpler, though I don't know if it is as good for you:

Brown rice syrup: ~5oz.
    water: ~1oz.
    Cocoa: ~Tablespoon+ or so
    Vanilla: to taste
    Salt: to taste
    Potassium Chloride (brand name: Nosalt salt substitute): to taste

I mix up the cocoa, water, vanilla, salt and KCl first to get the lumps out of the cocoa, then add the BRS and mix. Fills a 6oz. runner's flask.

Quote of the weekend regarding goo from the 24 hours in Old Pueblo MTB race: "If the goo tastes really good, you're bonking."

Crack! Bang! Kapow!
    Those new self-adhering saran wrap sheets (http://www.glad.com/pressnseal/index.html) can be used to make little GU pouches, cut it into strips 3" x 6" then fold in half the long way and seal the sides making sure to leave the the top open, fill them up with the GU and then seal the top. Make sure to make a little cut into one side (like GU pouches have) so you can tear them open with your teeth. I'm still working on perfecting them but they are cheap and relatively successfull.
    "I don't know, trying is the first step towards failure." -Homer

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Fig Newtons plus salt

I just sprinkle table salt and salt substitute (for potassium) on Fig Newtons. Carbs, electrolytes, etc. for a pretty low price. Easy to carry, easy to eat, tastes good. I also carry salted mixed nuts, which provides plenty of protein and some "good" fat to provide a slow burn. Add in a Coke at the break for some fast energy, and I'm good to go!

RoadBikeReview Member

As for bars...

1 1/2 cups flour
    1 1/4 cups oats
    1/3 cup sugar
    1/3 cup brown sugar
    1/4 tsp. baking soda
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1/2 cup finely chopped pecans or almonds
    12 T unsalted butter, cut up and softened
    1 cup raspberry jam

Preheat oven to 350. Grease 9 x 9 pan. Mix flour, oats, sugars, baking soda, salt and nuts on low speed. Add butter and beat until well blended. Transfer 2/3 of mixture to pan and use hands to press to bottom. Bake until it starts to brown, about 20 min. Spread jam over crust and sprinkle the rest of mixture over top. Bake until jam bubbles around edges and top is golden, about 30 min. Cool and cut into squares.

rider formerly known as

Homemade bars? I prefer 3TTT

or Cinelli in shallow drop. Why would you risk your life riding homemade bars?
    Always Look At the Bright Side of Life Monty Python, Life of Brian

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2003

great recipe

i made these last night...
    they're great! thanks for sharing

RoadBikeReview Member

Special thanks to you guys...

Another cheap ******* here. I started making my own drink because Cytomax is too expensive to use all the time. I like it strong.

I'll still use the Cyto for the important rides but I'll use the home-made stuff for everyting else.

Some of those recepes look interesting. I think I'll have to try to make some gu and bars this weekend.

Thanks
    Pain is weakness leaving the body!!!
    Work to Eat / Eat to Live / Live to Ride / Ride to Work

RoadBikeReview Member
    My wife hates all the gels. She prefers straight sweetened condensed milk. Yummm. But a little too sweet for me.

RoadBikeReview Member

Brew Store???

What qualifies as a "Brew Store"??? I've never heard of the term.

Wait...scratch that. I asked a beer guy in my office you pointed me to a homebrew store nearby.
    Last edited by biknben; 02-27-2004 at 01:05 PM.
    Pain is weakness leaving the body!!!
    Work to Eat / Eat to Live / Live to Ride / Ride to Work

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CalgaryDave
    Hi,

What do you use?

Cheers,
    Dave
    What about just using cake frosting or store bought cookie dough. mmmmmm sugar!!!

Also, if you have a bike with downtube shifters, the shifters work great for holding up to 2 krispy kremes per lever.

Power Napper
    Really easy idea I got from my sister. Start with your favorite peanut butter, mix in some protein powder (I like Spiru-Tein unflavored) and a little honey or brown rice syrup. This is easier if you warm the stuff up in a microwave. Experiment a little to get the proportions to your taste. Spread on good bread, not to soft, but not to hard & chewy either, to make a sandwich. I like to add some raisins too. Cut into quarters and put in a zip-loc. Good as a replacement for bars, but not gels.

RoadBikeReview Member

Clarification for homemade GU

1. As far as the branched chain AA, just us a "pinch" I make my gu up in I liter bottles so I use more. I just eyeball a lot of the little ingredients. You have to he exact on the bigger incregients though, because the consistancy really varies.

2. Use the gin, or else it has a nasty aftertaste.

3. A brewstore is a place where they sell home brew supplies. While you're there you can get all the stuff to brew your own batch of hoppy goodness for the after ride (or season) keg.

-Doug
    "The main thing is not to cut yourself and bleed to death in the tub." - Frankie Andreu

RoadBikeReview Member