Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MoPho View Post
    Opinion good enough for what they ride sure, but in the general discussion, no. Why should someone who has never had to work their brakes hard be telling others that their choice of brake is good enough for everyone?

I believe the video is from 2012, disc wasn't quite out yet.

The #2 was also back in 2012, and most certainly on rim brakes as well and currently seems to ride a rim brake F8.

I'm fairly certain the #5 which was in 2017 which is faster than fast freddy was done on a rim brake bike.

The #1 regardless of brake system was definitely using his brakes less than anyone else and there really isn't any reason to believe it had to be done one one brake system vs another.

This doesn't mean discs are pointless and that some people won't prefer them, but in terms of descending a technical descent like diablo it obviously isn't a requirement unless you plan on doing a lot of braking on the way down while using carbon rims that you need to worry about melting, which obviously can be the case for some riders.

So again, in dry weather, disc brakes didn't really make anyone faster on this descent. Maybe on something steeper with more turns and switchbacks? Now if the concern is with safely going slower than sure, discs would probably be better vs carbon rims, less so against aluminum, and again, really depends on how slow you want to keep it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by taodemon View Post
    The #2 was also back in 2012, and most certainly on rim brakes as well and currently seems to ride a rim brake F8.

I'm fairly certain the #5 which was in 2017 which is faster than fast freddy was done on a rim brake bike.

The #1 regardless of brake system was definitely using his brakes less than anyone else and there really isn't any reason to believe it had to be done one one brake system vs another.

This doesn't mean discs are pointless and that some people won't prefer them, but in terms of descending a technical descent like diablo it obviously isn't a requirement unless you plan on doing a lot of braking on the way down while using carbon rims that you need to worry about melting, which obviously can be the case for some riders.

So again, in dry weather, disc brakes didn't really make anyone faster on this descent. Maybe on something steeper with more turns and switchbacks? Now if the concern is with safely going slower than sure, discs would probably be better vs carbon rims, less so against aluminum, and again, really depends on how slow you want to keep it.

Who said it was a requirement? And how do you know he wouldn't be faster still on a disc brake bike? Why does it need to be faster to prove it's worth to recreational riders?
    Speed was not my motivation for getting disc brakes, for me it's about having more feel, control, confidence, and less fatigue which adds to the joy of doing descents. If anything, I am probably slower because braking hard into corners is fun and I use them more now ( I also got in a bit of trouble for speeding, so have dialed it back).
    Today, I rode the mountain in the wet, and discs definitely made it a whole lot better.
    There are also times when you get stuck behind cars, or bike traffic and need to ride the brakes, I find disc an improvement for those times too.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by MoPho View Post
    Who said it was a requirement? And how do you know he wouldn't be faster still on a disc brake bike? Why does it need to be faster to prove it's worth to recreational riders?
    Speed was not my motivation for getting disc brakes, for me it's about having more feel, control, confidence, and less fatigue which adds to the joy of doing descents. If anything, I am probably slower because braking hard into corners is fun and I use them more now ( I also got in a bit of trouble for speeding, so have dialed it back).
    Today, I rode the mountain in the wet, and discs definitely made it a whole lot better.
    There are also times when you get stuck behind cars, or bike traffic and need to ride the brakes, I find disc an improvement for those times too.
    I will say, I wish disc brakes had been a thing back when I did most of my real mountain biking in wet, muddy conditions.

Where I rode on a daily basis in the NW Wissahickon hills (philly), my Shimano Deore XT rim brakes were easily defeated by wet and mud. I can still hear that sickening mud-rim schlushhhh sound that preceded white-knuckle technical descents.

Also (old man story here), I had the misfortune of also having bought my first MTB with the "latest, greatest" brake improvement in 1986... the Shimano U-brake, i.e. the MegaMudCollector POS Brake. But according to the MTB magazines of the time, John Tomac and other pros (apparently) thought U-brakes were the bee's knees.

Trigger Warning
    This thread is now about Tuna fish and liter bikes.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by Local Hero View Post
    This thread is now about Tuna fish and liter bikes.
    Also, unmanly grip that is weak unlike bull.

Trigger Warning
    I just deleted a few posts that violated our forum guidelines (or quoted posts that violated the guidelines). Another mod has deleted posts from this thread too. There are no more warnings here.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Are the Pros gonna run disc brakes on their TT bikes?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post
    Are the Pros gonna run disc brakes on their TT bikes?
    Yes, eventually...

https://www.cervelo.com/en-us/triathlon/p-series/p5x

https://www.bicycling.com/beginners/...drapac-tt-bike

How about no disc brake threads at all for 2018-maxresdefault.jpg

How about no disc brake threads at all for 2018-diamondback-andean.jpg

Despite what is being said by some in this thread, eventually, the vast majority of us will probably end up disc brake road bikes just like the vast majority of us now have 10spd or 11spd drivetrains, handlebar based shifters, and 23mm-28mm tires, etc. Things change, it is what it is....
    Last edited by Rashadabd; 1 Week Ago at 06:55 AM.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    They are already on them in fact:

New Cannondale SuperSlice for Ryan Mullen | road.cc

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    hmmmm...mechanical on all of those.

Wonder why?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post
    hmmmm...mechanical on all of those.

Wonder why?
    So basically you posted the initial question, not because you are actually curious, but to start another argument huh? I guess life is pretty boring on your end. Enjoy though....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    And the answer to your question is that component manufacturers haven’t developed hydro TT specific parts yet, but I am sure you already knew that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    And the answer to your question is that component manufacturers haven’t developed hydro TT specific parts yet, but I am sure you already knew that.
    I was thinking they were lighter weight but what do I know.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Trek-Segafredo embraces discs

Trek-Segafredo riders will ride disc brakes 100 percent of the time on the team’s flagship Domane and Emonda bikes. The Domane is the bike of choice for the rough roads of northern Europe, while the Emonda is a climber’s machine made for brutal grand tour climbs. Riders will still ride rim brakes on Trek’s aero model, the Madone. The commitment to discs marks yet another chapter in the will-they-won’t-they saga of disc brakes at the WorldTour level. Last year, then-Quick-Step sprinter Marcel Kittel became the first rider to win a Tour de France stage on a disc-equipped bicycle.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Brakes are such an integral piece to the whole Peloton and it's support network equation that it seems for a large field televised race, like the tour de France, that everyone would need to be or not be on discs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    I imagine for my next bike, will probably have discs(whenever that is). I don't think you NEED discs on a road bike, but it depends on the use/user. For me my first road bike had DT Swiss wheels/rims with Ultegra brakes/pads and that combo was terrible for whatever reason, terrible in the dry, much worse in the wet, switching to SwissStop green pads helped, but still pretty poor. New bike has Mavic Exalith rims and pads with ultegra brakes, great breaking in the dry and good in the wet. So on that front discs/not discs, don't care I'm happy with the combo I have now.

But on my mtb I ran/run V-brakes for ages, had run some discs at one point (old Avid Juicy 5)and they were fine but not anything much better than my XT v's. Then I got some XT discs, very powerful, but I couldn't get on with them, very grabby and no feel. I was switching between my v'd HT and my discs HT on various rides so not adapting fast enough...until one day I go to 1 finger breaking, all of a sudden there was the power and feel all at a light touch, wonderful. And suddenly my v brakes were total crap.

Since I ride on the hoods 99% of the time and I can happily operate the brakes, but if I could get that easy power at a light touch like on my mtb discs v V's, then I'd be all over road discs next purchase. Of course i'd have to ride some to check them out, but for me that would be a major factor.
    All the gear and no idea

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    I imagine for my next bike, will probably have discs(whenever that is). I don't think you NEED discs on a road bike, but it depends on the use/user. For me my first road bike had DT Swiss wheels/rims with Ultegra brakes/pads and that combo was terrible for whatever reason, terrible in the dry, much worse in the wet, switching to SwissStop green pads helped, but still pretty poor. New bike has Mavic Exalith rims and pads with ultegra brakes, great breaking in the dry and good in the wet. So on that front discs/not discs, don't care I'm happy with the combo I have now.

But on my mtb I ran/run V-brakes for ages, had run some discs at one point (old Avid Juicy 5)and they were fine but not anything much better than my XT v's. Then I got some XT discs, very powerful, but I couldn't get on with them, very grabby and no feel. I was switching between my v'd HT and my discs HT on various rides so not adapting fast enough...until one day I go to 1 finger breaking, all of a sudden there was the power and feel all at a light touch, wonderful. And suddenly my v brakes were total crap.

Since I ride on the hoods 99% of the time and I can happily operate the brakes, but if I could get that easy power at a light touch like on my mtb discs v V's, then I'd be all over road discs next purchase. Of course i'd have to ride some to check them out, but for me that would be a major factor.
    In bold...don't be a slave to vanity. Raise your handlebar and ride the whole bar. Your body will thank you and your speed will improve. Brake type choice is optional. ;)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    So basically you posted the initial question, not because you are actually curious, but to start another argument huh?
    That's what Factory Feel thrives on. Look back far enough and you will see he was given a posting vacation by the mods.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by 11spd View Post
    Trek-Segafredo embraces discs

Trek-Segafredo riders will ride disc brakes 100 percent of the time on the team’s flagship Domane and Emonda bikes. The Domane is the bike of choice for the rough roads of northern Europe, while the Emonda is a climber’s machine made for brutal grand tour climbs. Riders will still ride rim brakes on Trek’s aero model, the Madone. The commitment to discs marks yet another chapter in the will-they-won’t-they saga of disc brakes at the WorldTour level. Last year, then-Quick-Step sprinter Marcel Kittel became the first rider to win a Tour de France stage on a disc-equipped bicycle.
    The Madone Disc will be announced prior to and raced at the at the TdF.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011