Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 269
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,247

    How about no disc brake threads at all for 2018

    It's all been said and discussed Ad nauseam.

  2. #2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: 11spd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    932
    No.

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,566
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post
    It's all been said and discussed Ad nauseam.
    Without disc brakes threads the whole site will come to a halt; but agree

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: 11spd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    932
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    Without disc brakes threads the whole site will come to a halt; but agree
    ff must have forgotten that tech changes affect consumer sentiment. Pretty clear he has lost his sense of adventure. ;)

  5. #5
    hfc
    hfc is offline
    Doesn't like subtitles
    Reputation: hfc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    3,338
    But how will we know if we need them or not?

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: 11spd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    932
    Quote Originally Posted by hfc View Post
    But how will we know if we need them or not?
    only if riding too fast to stop. In motorcycle parlance, its the equivalent of outrunning your headlight. ;)

  7. #7
    Russian Troll Farmer
    Reputation: No Time Toulouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,139
    I would suggest that we also add "tubeless tire issues" to the list, as well all the chain-checker thread...
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

  8. #8
    Forever a Student
    Reputation: MMsRepBike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    4,927
    This is the year the pros are being forced to use them.

    There will be plenty of talk once we all finally see how they do in the classics first and the Giro following.

    This year is the real "trial" for them, so it's game on. They have the standards all set and adopted hopefully, the rotors are rounded, it's go time.
    use a torque wrench

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: 11spd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    932
    Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post
    This is the year the pros are being forced to use them.

    There will be plenty of talk once we all finally see how they do in the classics first and the Giro following.

    This year is the real "trial" for them, so it's game on. They have the standards all set and adopted hopefully, the rotors are rounded, it's go time.
    In bold...unspoken? Forced? Can you elaborate?

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: OldZaskar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,010
    It's a paradox: By posting a thread suggesting no threads about disc brakes, you posted a thread about disc brakes. There's always 2019!

  11. #11
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,566
    Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post
    It's a paradox: By posting a thread suggesting no threads about disc brakes, you posted a thread about disc brakes. There's always 2019!
    Maybe that is a bridge too far. What about a moratorium on leather helmets or Simplex derailleurs. Maybe that would work

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    154
    When everyone realizes disc brakes are vastly superior to rim brakes there won’t be a need for any discussion.

  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: 11spd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    932
    Quote Originally Posted by jaggrin View Post
    When everyone realizes disc brakes are vastly superior to rim brakes there won’t be a need for any discussion.
    Problem with your premise is the all encompassing word superior. Superior in what regard. Stopping? Weight? Aerodynamics? Cost? Ease of Maintenance?
    Disk brakes stop better than rim brakes in many stopping scenarios. That is not why they haven't been universally embraced to date. They may never be but they may gain overall preference to rim brakes over time. They seem headed in that direction.

  14. #14
    Forever a Student
    Reputation: MMsRepBike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    4,927
    Quote Originally Posted by 11spd View Post
    In bold...unspoken? Forced? Can you elaborate?
    Aqua blue sport is forcing their riders to use nothing but disc brakes. They're not giving any option. Even outspoken critics like champion Larry Warbasse is being forced to use them.

    Trek factory racing is forcing their riders to use them (at least on the Emonda), even in the mountains. They have posted that it's not going to be an option, every rider that was on rim brakes last year will be on disc brakes this year, zero exceptions.

    I'm sure they're not the only two teams doing this.
    use a torque wrench

  15. #15
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: 11spd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    932
    Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post
    Aqua blue sport is forcing their riders to use nothing but disc brakes. They're not giving any option. Even outspoken critics like champion Larry Warbasse is being forced to use them.

    Trek factory racing is forcing their riders to use them (at least on the Emonda), even in the mountains. They have posted that it's not going to be an option, every rider that was on rim brakes last year will be on disc brakes this year, zero exceptions.

    I'm sure they're not the only two teams doing this.
    I see...thanks.
    If no detriment to winning races, kind of makes sense that mfr's insist their pro riders ride their flagship offerings. Bike makers don't support professional racing due to philanthropy. ;) They do it to sell product. Will see if Specialized and other big brands fall in line. Agree, there will be more.

  16. #16
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    272
    Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post
    Trek factory racing is forcing their riders to use them (at least on the Emonda), even in the mountains.
    The mountains are the only stages where 6.8kg disc-brake equipped bikes even matter.

    The Madone Disc will be raced at the TdF for sure with a paper release 7-10 days before. It's unlikely to appear in official capacity before that. As with my Trek-Segafredo / Emonda Disc 'prediction' a couple months back, this is not idle speculation.

  17. #17
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,247
    what can be said that hasn't been said?

  18. #18
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: velodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    6,293
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    Maybe that is a bridge too far. What about a moratorium on leather helmets or Simplex derailleurs. Maybe that would work
    You can have the Simplex derailleurs, but I'm gonna keep my Simplex Retro Friction shifters.
    Too old to ride plastic

  19. #19
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,566
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    You can have the Simplex derailleurs, but I'm gonna keep my Simplex Retro Friction shifters.
    Them's fighting words! Consider it ON!

  20. #20
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: BlazingPedals's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    350
    Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post
    Aqua blue sport is forcing their riders to use nothing but disc brakes. They're not giving any option. Even outspoken critics like champion Larry Warbasse is being forced to use them.

    Trek factory racing is forcing their riders to use them (at least on the Emonda), even in the mountains. They have posted that it's not going to be an option, every rider that was on rim brakes last year will be on disc brakes this year, zero exceptions.

    I'm sure they're not the only two teams doing this.
    But... but... think of all that extra mass that could have been used by installing motors!

  21. #21
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    154
    Quote Originally Posted by 11spd View Post
    Problem with your premise is the all encompassing word superior. Superior in what regard. Stopping? Weight? Aerodynamics? Cost? Ease of Maintenance?
    Disk brakes stop better than rim brakes in many stopping scenarios. That is not why they haven't been universally embraced to date. They may never be but they may gain overall preference to rim brakes over time. They seem headed in that direction.
    You must get a real stiffie every time someone posts a reply to anything disc brake related because you respond to every post immediately.

  22. #22
    Forever a Student
    Reputation: MMsRepBike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    4,927
    Quote Originally Posted by 11spd View Post
    Will see if Specialized and other big brands fall in line. Agree, there will be more.
    Well last year their director of marketing in Europe or whomever said something exactly similar to; "Yes, of course we're paying them specifically to use and be photographed with the disc brake bikes, that's literally how this works." It was in response to Sagan refusing to ride them but being photographed with them and their gold wheels and such and then the Boonen thing.

    So it's clear that Specialized has been trying to force them on the riders for a while. But it's the teams that make the ultimate decision. It's basically an all in or nothing thing for teams. Will the Specialized teams fall in line this year? You can bet they're being pressured to, "that's literally how this works."
    use a torque wrench

  23. #23
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    384
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post
    It's all been said and discussed Ad nauseam.
    Except this one?

  24. #24
    Darling of The Lounge
    Reputation: Retro Grouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    3,889
    Disc versus rim brake debate is sooooo 2017.

    Visit the Lounge and you'll see that sports cars and monkeys is the latest craze.

  25. #25
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: upstateSC-rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,508
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post
    what can be said that hasn't been said?
    Since I've been on disc brakes, cars give me more room as they pass...They fear the spinning discs of death also.
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 2018 SW Tarmac Disc Availability
    By boogermin in forum Specialized
    Replies: 163
    Last Post: 13 Hours Ago, 12:13 AM
  2. The Once and For All, End All Be All, Disc Brakes vs. Rim Brakes Thread
    By Rashadabd in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 574
    Last Post: 2 Weeks Ago, 05:54 AM
  3. 2018 S-Works Venge Vias Disc Di2
    By WRM4865 in forum Specialized
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 10-26-2017, 05:48 PM
  4. RBR TdF 2018 Predictions! Post by Start Time 2018
    By PJay in forum Pro Cycling - Tour de France
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-23-2017, 03:58 PM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-29-2010, 11:44 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •