Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    RoadBikeReview Member
    No it does not cause damage to your rim.

I'd worry more about evading potholes, babyhead rocks, critters when it comes to extending the life of your rims and/or yourself.

Also, I find it funny the OP calling out people on post count when he/she has 1400 or so posts since just May of 2010.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Pieter
    OK.

You have hook available which is on the short side. You screw it horizontally into the wall.

It is short enough so that when you hang the bike, the wheel 'rolls' only to the point where the level of the hook is 10mm above the wheel's axle.

You now have a cantilever with one arm about 350mm, the other 10mm. The fulcrum is the contact point of tire with wall. The mechanical advantage is a factor of 35.

Analogous to the situation where you use a claw hammer to draw a nail.

With a bike of 10kg, the resultant force on the rim is thus about 350kg. If this doesn't tear the hook from the wall, it can surely dent the riim - or worse.
    That's why swat teams always have a bike with them in case there is a hook in the wall they need to break through.
    Blows your hair back.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    Hanging by hooks and crap is no issue whatsoever. If there is a lesson to be learned on storage it's that it's a good idea to spin the wheels and rotate the crank every couple of months. Helps prevent false brinelling damage to the bearings.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by skyliner1004
    Think i'm going to get this instead:

These things can scratch the hell out of your toptube if there is a cable. That's why I prefer wheel or saddle tip hanging.

Hammer
    Been hanging from hooks for years+, sorry having issues uploading photos so quick video of them hanging in the bike cave.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-Oh7hYEudI

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zipp2001 View Post
    Been hanging from hooks for years+, sorry having issues uploading photos so quick video of them hanging in the bike cave.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-Oh7hYEudI
    Wtf thread dredge?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The internet is a little like a bar, a wonderful place where we can bullsh(t our past, but it also, is full of reasonably reliable sources of information to be used as ammo to call "bullish)t."

RoadBikeReview Member
    What kind of ceiling is that? Is that basement, attic or garage?
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

Hammer
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    What kind of ceiling is that? Is that basement, attic or garage?
    Basement.

a real member's member
    i can hang one of my bikes from a wheel when i take the light rail for an hour.

but if i did this at home, i could not rest.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zipp2001 View Post
    Basement.
    Why is the vapor barrier on the basement side which I assume is colder than the floor above? If there is insulation above that, it will become soaked in not too long.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234