Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    banned
    May 2010

How bad is it for the bike/front wheel to vertically hang bike for storage?

I'm looking to store my bike in my house, Is it safe to hang the bike vertically by the front wheel (rear wheel down)?

Like this:
    http://www.amazon.com/Saris-Bike-Ver...6474941&sr=1-6

Pic:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Considering the hook grabs only the rim, and the wheel is only under the load of gravity on the bike alone, it can't be too bad. I can't be certain if long periods of hanging start to yield negative effects or not, though.

Terrible! Awful! Horrible!

That's why every bike shop in the world stores repair bikes that way...more work for us!
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

'brifter' is a lame word.
    you put much more stress on it every time you ride it...think about it, the bike only weighs 15-20lbs.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

First time question prize!

Quote Originally Posted by skyliner1004
    I'm looking to store my bike in my house, Is it safe to hang the bike vertically by the front wheel (rear wheel down)?
    Believe it or not, you're the first person to ever ask this question and as a result you win the RBR Grand Prize of a brand new ..... Oh, wait. This gets asked about every other month. The answer is always the same question. How could the weight of a 20 lb bike cause more stress on the wheel than a 200 lb rider?

banned
    May 2010
    you're right, we weight 150-200 lbs and we put downward force on the outer portion of the rim (pressure where the rim/tire meets the pavement)

Hanging a bike like this is a different kind of pressure though. This will be a 20lb pressure (bike weight) pulling the rim from the inside (as opposed to pressing/pushing when we're riding).

On the other hand, i've seen many bike shops hang their display bikes like this. But i'm thinking that is just because it pays to hang a single display model and take a hit on the small damage of hanging a bike by the wheel as opposed to losing many sales because they dont have enough display bikes to show.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

So you already know?

you're right, we weight 150-200 lbs and we put downward force on the outer portion of the rim (pressure where the rim/tire meets the pavement)

Hanging a bike like this is a different kind of pressure though. This will be a 20lb pressure (bike weight) pulling the rim from the inside (as opposed to pressing/pushing when we're riding).

On the other hand, i've seen many bike shops hang their display bikes like this. But i'm thinking that is just because it pays to hang a single display model and take a hit on the small damage of hanging a bike by the wheel as opposed to losing many sales because they dont have enough display bikes to show.
    So what you're telling us is that you already know that this will damage a bike wheel? How do you know this, and why did you ask the question if you already knew it? And why does your knowldege totally contradict common sense, simple physics, and the experience of a huge number of people who hang their bikes this way and experience no damage whatsoever? Teach us!

banned
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons
    So what you're telling us is that you already know that this will damage a bike wheel? How do you know this, and why did you ask the question if you already knew it? And why does your knowldege totally contradict common sense, simple physics, and the experience of a huge number of people who hang their bikes this way and experience no damage whatsoever? Teach us!
    why did you make this post? post count++

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've hung a heavy, old mountain bike this way for years without issue. Well, except the chain is now rusted and both tyres are flat...

banned
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jsedlak
    I've hung a heavy, old mountain bike this way for years without issue. Well, except the chain is now rusted and both tyres are flat...
    and the front wheel may be bent...
    or not?

i think i'm going to get the Topeak OneUp to hold my bike vertically

kbg
    Bike Pimp
    Jun 2009
    Only time it's bad is for an MTB with hydraulic disks.
    Air can float from the reservoir into the line or the caliper, which is definitely a bad thing.
    Then again, stopping is overrated ...

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons
    Some people live in far more interesting worlds than the rest of us. Kinda makes me jealous sometimes*

* except for when I have to hang my bike for storage.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

What Would Google Do.

stop..too funny so if you can figure out the real question to the question you have origionally asked how come you cant come up with the answer? Hint its much more obvious than what YOU think.
    you cant say 3rd without turd.

___
    if every man in the world actually played hide the weenie with every woman he ever fantasized over both herpes and stupid would be more of an epidemic than they already are.

- Spanky_ 888007
    __

Rub it............

I hang all my service bikes by the wheel at work. Including the 45lb Mongoose full suspension bike that I get in from time to time. There are a few LBS in my area that hang bikes from the wheels.

Zero damage to the wheels.
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

RoadBikeReview Member
    If you were to look at it under an electron microscope you would see a crease where it hung from the hook. When you get too many of these creases in your wheel you will be setting yourself up for a catastrophic failure. You should also inspect your carbon fiber frame for any scratches in the clear coat. These scratches can grow into fractures which can grow into catastrophic implosions.

RoadBikeReview Member
    and the front wheel may be bent...
    or not?

i think i'm going to get the Topeak OneUp to hold my bike vertically
    do you have any idea how much force each spoke exerts on the section of rim it contacts? Varies from somewhere around 180 pounds to over 600 pounds.

banned
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia
    do you have any idea how much force each spoke exerts on the section of rim it contacts? Varies from somewhere around 180 pounds to over 600 pounds.
    gotcha, just wanted to cover all the bases before making the score. i'll be looking for a vertical wall mount bike hanger. Any recommendation? I need 2 of them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sometimes I hang mine by the front wheel and sometimes by the rear wheel.

Unless gravity suddenly changes to far greater multiple than it is, I don't foresee a problem. Besides, the wheel stickers are sufficiently strong to keep it taped together.

gotcha, just wanted to cover all the bases before making the score. i'll be looking for a vertical wall mount bike hanger. Any recommendation? I need 2 of them.
    J-hook. Wal-Mart. 64 cents.
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

Farmguy
    Aug 2009
    Each time you hang up the bike, put the hook between a different set of spokes.

Unsafe at Any Speed
    Oct 2005
    Skyliner, your hook is mounted in an unfavorable position.

If you want minimum force on the rim, mount the hook from the ceiling so it hangs vertically.

Your hook however is about 45 degrees from vertical. That way, the weight of the bike introduces a horizontal component of force tending to compress the tire agains the wall. You can draw a vector diagram to show this. Anyway, the upshot is that the force of the hook acting on the inside of the rim is greater than the weight of the bike alone (square root of 2 times greater when the angle of that hook is exactly 45 degrees).

TRB
    Apr 2010
    why did you make this post? post count++
    It could be because he as well as I have noticed that you seem to ask a question then post the answer to it or ask opinions on something and then just do what you asked if you should or shouldn't do anyways.

I have been hanging my bike from the front wheel, then back wheel, then front wheel rotating each time I hang it. I have had no problems at all.

You asked the question if it's bad to hang it from the front wheel yet from your posts you seem like you've already been set on hanging it a different way.

Why post the question at all? To get the back a fourth from forum members? To argue you're thoughts with other people? To tell other people why it's bad to hang it from the front rim?

Just my observations.
    I'm a true newbie here, any suggestions and tips help. Thanks!

Road: 2009 Cervelo RS
    Trail: Specialized Hard Rock
    Drive: 2007 Honda Civic EX

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2008
    I've been hanging all my bikes by the front/back wheel for years with no problems.

However watch out if you hang your MTB with an "open bath" front suspension fork as the oil can leak out through the seals. Easy to fix though, just hang it by the other wheel.
    10 Tarmac Expert SL
    07 Allez Elite
    07 Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    04 Hardrock Pro
    05 GT Tour BMX

RoadBikeReview Member
    Remember. Your not pushing down on the spokes when you ride. Your hanging from them.

BIGchainRING
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyrhodes
    Remember. Your not pushing down on the spokes when you ride. Your hanging from them.
    Not only is this thread cracking me up, I think this is the right answer.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast