Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

How do YOU trackstand?

I was on the morning ride to work today and pulled up beside someone I had never seen before and I did my usual thing; pulled up, trackstand, "Morning, how you doing?" We exchanged small talk and I took to noticing his track standing style.

I'm probably not doing it 'right' but I kick the front wheel to one side(which often depends on how I stop, maybe left, maybe right) and use plenty of brake, both front and back. I'm standing over the center of the BB.

But - this guy this morning was up over the front no brakes, just hips forward, up against the handlebars, front wheel kicked, no brakes that I could see, looked strange.

I know that trackstanding would be whatever works is what works, but I've seen fixies pedal back and forth to do it.

How many different 'ways' are there to trackstand.
    LTMTB'erLTGR it's teh c(o)de

Mr_Snips
    Jun 2006
    theres as many ways to trackstand as there is bikes to choose from...not one is right for everyone, nor wrong.
    "If I was worried about 90 grams, I'd stop eating donuts in the morning,"~Bobby Julich

banned
    poorly

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    poorly

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH Touche!

Downhill Juggernaut
    You so stole my response!

I tend to fall over from time to time. Balance too long, then when I realize that I'm falling I can't clip out quick enough. Yeah, pretty much look like a total dork. Until I fall that is, then I look like a dorky turtle flipped over on it's back because I'm still clipped in. Still, the only way to get better is to practice.
    If running were a person I would try to sabotage their life so that they were poor and drunk and living in the gutter pulling half smoked cigarettes from ashtrays in front of the Target. - Joe Daddio

duh...
    if you're on an incline you don't need brake, just keep pressure on the pedals

Alien Musician
    If I do it, I start vibrating or lazily seesawing back and forth until I fall over into a sewer grate.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006

why stand when you can sit?

Its easier to balance this way.

eminence grease
    I unclip my right foot and put it on the ground. With my balance, I find a 3-point trackstand works the best.
    You'd be better off with a netbook, they do everything better.

My travel blog: http://tbaroundtheworld.blogspot.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    I think a more germane question than "How do YOU trackstand" would be "HOW do you trackstand?" I've never been able to figure this out on a bike with a freehub.

Resident Dutchbag
    You see the black and white pole next to the one the trafficlight is attached to? Very handy.

Originally posted by thatsmybush:
    I can only speak for my self, but if Fergie wanted to rub her lovely lady lumps on me, I could play the role of "human stripper pole."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ross
    I think a more germane question than "How do YOU trackstand" would be "HOW do you trackstand?" I've never been able to figure this out on a bike with a freehub.
    OK. This is how I trackstand, and this works for me, might not work for you but you asked.

First, be loose. If you're tight and stiff, you're shot before you start

Second; find your sweet foot - mine is my left [I'm a goofy foot surfer/skater so it's left foot forward] you might by a natural foot so it's right foot forward. You gotta find the sweet foot.

SMOOTHNESS is the KEY here; Gentle on the controls, fine adjustments.

Now when you're coming to a stop, change gears to a gear that you can get ontop of quickly[not grannies gear, but not a gear you'll need Landis Lollies to turn], just in case you need to take off in a hurry and this will help in 'the stand' because you should be able to use the torque of the gear to assist with the balance of 'the stand'.

As you come to a stop[not as you stop slightly before] transfer your weight over towards the front of the bike slightly [don't throw your hips at the riser] at the same time bring your sweet foot to the 2 o'clock position. Brake. As you stop transfer your weight back over the Bottom Braket. You should be at a standstill now. Cock the front wheel to a 45 degree angle in oppostion to your sweet foot. If you're right foot forward the back of the front wheel should be angled to the left. This way you won't hit your wheel and foot, thus assisting with 'the stand'.

While standing, slightly rock back and forth on the sweet pedal, if you're at 2 o'clock, rock back and forth half way between 1 and 2 o'clock - it will help with balancing against the torque of the gear, the frame, the brake and the front wheel.

Feather the front brake to assist in giving you a point to balance against.
    Adjust the angle of the front wheel at the same time as the feather of the front brake.

So to summarise.

Slow down - relax your knees and arms HEAD UP - gear change - weight forward - 2 o'clock on the sweetpedal - stop - weight tranfers back over bottom bracket - angle front wheel so that rear is away from sweetfoot - feather front brake - slight adjust front wheel as needed - rock back and forth on sweet foot between 1 and 2 o'clock.

REMEMBER YOU'RE NOT GOING TO STAND THERE PERFECTLY STILL IN A TRACK STAND YOU'RE GOING TO NEED TO ADJUST EVERYTHING CONSTANTLY OR YOU'LL FALL ON YOUR BUTT. BE SMOOTH, BE GENTLE..

I always used to practise at home in the house with sneakers on. This help with 'the bail'

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO LEARN CLIPPED!

Also - if you cock up real bad and have to you can backpedal to bring your none sweetfoot around to 2 o'clock to catch a fall - this takes skills but can be done.

I have no idea how you would track stand sitting on the saddle. Also, try not to watch what your doing. Feel it. If you have your head down your body will naturally follow your chin, so you'll come unstuck every time. Remember, Head up, use the force, feel the stand.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    I've seen a guy turn the front wheel, then reach down and grab it with one hand. He then moved the wheel back and forth with his hand to keep his balance.

donuts?
    my technique is slightly different that the verbose instructions given above...

i'll put the bike into a stiff gear that lets me torque the cranks. i'm normal footed so the right foot goes to 2 o'clock position. i'll shift from torquing the cranks to applying the brakes - the front wheel points to the left since my right arm is stronger and it's easier to to pull with it to get started. i don't rock the bike back and forth, i'm mostly stationary but i do move the front wheel to maintain balance.

here's the bad form part: if my right pedal drops too low, i'll lock the brakes and go a full circle round with the cranks to reset the crankarms - not sure why i do it, but it helps relax me and keeps the torque at the right place.

sometime i'll cheat and hang way back from an intersection and do mini trackstands and then move forward while waiting at known long lights. and then there are several places that have no parking signs that enable me to get a drink while waiting. becareful of utility poles - nails and staples from yard sales past can really hurt.

-steve

JFR
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I prefer to do them standing, with no hands.

Standing, so I can give my butt some relief. No handed cause it's fun, I can stand straight up and stretch my back, and I sometimes get positive reactions from peds and cars around me.

The key to my trackstanding is turning the front wheel left into a slight incline. Pedal pressure allows the bike to roll up and down the incline as needed to maintain balance. Flat ground is much more difficult, and pointed down an incline is almost impossible for me. But turned left into an incline (like the crest in the road at a signal) and I can trackstand as long as I want. Seriously. (But I can't ride a good wheelie to save my life, go figure.)

The standing no handed trick requires pressing the toptube and saddle against my left leg to complete a tripod with my feet.

Here's a pic of me doing a seated, no handed trackstand on my mtb. I keep meaning to get a pic of the standing no hander on my road bike for just such occassions as this, but alas I have not yet.

I enjoy trackstanding very very much.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JFR
    Here's a pic of me doing a seated, no handed trackstand on my mtb. I keep meaning to get a pic of the standing no hander on my road bike for just such occassions as this, but alas I have not yet.
    Holy crap, you look EXACTLY like me!

(well, except for that no handed trackstand thing; I can't do that at all.)

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Cycle_Spice
    Second; find your sweet foot - mine is my left [I'm a goofy foot surfer/skater so it's left foot forward] you might by a natural foot so it's right foot forward. You gotta find the sweet foot.
    Small correction: left foot forward is Regular, right foot forward is Goofy.

Jim <--- Faces the wave on a right-hander, i.e. Regular-foot.

JFR
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I keep meaning to get a pic of the standing no hander on my road bike for just such occassions as this, but alas I have not yet.
    Fresh off the press...

I should be ashamed of myself for posting these pics. I feel like a goof. Or is it a clown? Anyway, trackstanding isn't that hard with a few secrets and practice.

1. It's easier if you're right handed. (Therefore left footed.)
    2. Point the wheel left into the road crest.
    3. Feet basically level, left foot forward.
    4. Gentle lean of bike into crest.
    5. Adjust pedal pressure to find balance rolling front wheel up and down crest.
    6. No brakes.

Seated or standing, try and practice both. It's addictive, and fun.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How do YOU trackstand?-img_0583sized.jpg  

Cycling Boob
    how the hell... i need to put this into my what to learn list

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    nice!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Fresh off the press...

I should be ashamed of myself for posting these pics. I feel like a goof. Or is it a clown? Anyway, trackstanding isn't that hard with a few secrets and practice.

1. It's easier if you're right handed. (Therefore left footed.)
    2. Point the wheel left into the road crest.
    3. Feet basically level, left foot forward.
    4. Gentle lean of bike into crest.
    5. Adjust pedal pressure to find balance rolling front wheel up and down crest.
    6. No brakes.

Seated or standing, try and practice both. It's addictive, and fun.

[best snoop dogg vioce]You got mad Skillz yo![/best snoop dogg voice]
    Jesus Christ came to earth and got nailed to some wood. Two thousand years later and book sales are still good.

banned
    I think any f$cking idiot can do it if they can simply ride a unicycle.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by venus
    I think any f$cking idiot can do it if they can simply ride a unicycle.

wow.

i guess finesse ISN'T everything.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cycle_Spice
    REMEMBER YOU'RE NOT GOING TO STAND THERE PERFECTLY STILL IN A TRACK STAND YOU'RE GOING TO NEED TO ADJUST EVERYTHING CONSTANTLY OR YOU'LL FALL ON YOUR BUTT. BE SMOOTH, BE GENTLE..
    Good advice, you might also want to consider that most roads have slight inclines in the middle of the lane (angles downwards towards the gutter), so using that incline whilst turning your wheel to the power foot side it's possible to balance the cranks (i use 10 o'clock on the power foot) and hold the trackstand once you find the balancing point. No adjustments, no brakes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    JFR, if you could juggle, all your life problems would be solved. Just join a circus.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast