RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010

How Long To Wait: Post Carpal Tunnel Surgery

I'm just over a week post-op from carpal tunnel surgery. I had to quit riding about three months ago due to the symptoms, so I haven't reached ANY of my goals this season.

For those who have had the surgery, I'm curious how long it's taken you to get back on the bike. The surgery was a bit more disruptive/challenging than I had thought it would be. I'm noticing fairly decent improvements every day now, and I'm itching to get back out riding. I'm considering hopping on the MTN bike and riding around the block a few times.....

My main goal as of now is to complete the MS 150 in September.

Thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    I waited 6 months. I'm glad that I did.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

The doctor says?

Quote Originally Posted by bigzebra
    I'm just over a week post-op from carpal tunnel surgery. I had to quit riding about three months ago due to the symptoms, so I haven't reached ANY of my goals this season.

For those who have had the surgery, I'm curious how long it's taken you to get back on the bike. The surgery was a bit more disruptive/challenging than I had thought it would be. I'm noticing fairly decent improvements every day now, and I'm itching to get back out riding. I'm considering hopping on the MTN bike and riding around the block a few times...
    I would think this would vary WIDELY depending on a bunch of details specific to your case. What did your doctor say? What the the doc say were the milestones along the way to recovery?

I had a Morton's neuroma removed and pre-surgery, all the podiatrist could say was 6-8 weeks and let pain be your guide. I was riding within two days, no pain. That doesn't mean that other people will have the same outcome.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons
    I would think this would vary WIDELY depending on a bunch of details specific to your case. What did your doctor say? What the the doc say were the milestones along the way to recovery?

I had a Morton's neuroma removed and pre-surgery, all the podiatrist could say was 6-8 weeks and let pain be your guide. I was riding within two days, no pain. That doesn't mean that other people will have the same outcome.

Much like your surgery, my surgeon advised me to let pain be my guide as for as activities go. He said I would not be able to injure what was done in the operating room. I am concerned about adhesions and scar tissue affecting things down the road though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dhfreak
    You're injury is made up!!!!! You should have never had surgery for it!

Mike
    Well crap! Where were you a week and a half ago?!

Are you serious?

Misfit Toy
    bigzebra - are you going in for post-op physical therapy? Your PT might be able to help you determine when to start riding.
    It's all fun and games until someone ends up in a cone.

Don't make me go all honey badger on your ass

RoadBikeReview Member
    The thing with carpal tunnel is that its the result of a repetitive stress injury (RSI). Often times due to some work related injury. But the thing is that this type of injury is due to cumulative repeated stress. So although the original injury might have resulted from work, things that you do outside of work can also make it worse because once something becomes injured it is much more prone to further injury.

Even a healthy activity like going for a bike ride can make a case of carpal tunnel go from bad to worse. So if biking contributed to your problems before the surgery, then you should be careful not to re-aggravate it.

Post-op, you will have lost some dexterity, sensitivity & strength in your hands. If you have not been assigned to a PT to help regain the strength in your hands & measure your recovery, I would be very concerned about rushing back on the bike. Riding a bike requires full hand strength & mobility because you need to be able to control the bike & to stop it.

In my opinion 2 wks is too soon after surgery to go back out on the road. If you want to ride, I suggest the trainer for now. Talk to PT or Dr who can measure the level of your hand strength to see if its sufficient for bike riding. Seriously, why rush back from surgery to possibly make things even worse when you don't have to? Sept is still a ways off & the trainer is an easy way to maintain fitness for now.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by snapdragen
    bigzebra - are you going in for post-op physical therapy? Your PT might be able to help you determine when to start riding.

No, I'm sure not. I suppose I should have inquired about physical therapy at my last visit. I'll ask around at work (I go back on light duty tomorrow) if any one knows one to speak to.

Thanks for all of your responsed so far!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bigzebra
    No, I'm sure not. I suppose I should have inquired about physical therapy at my last visit. I'll ask around at work (I go back on light duty tomorrow) if any one knows one to speak to.

Thanks for all of your responsed so far!
    I have some mild carpal tunnel in one arm. Upright bikes occasionally cause me a lot of grief and one can't ride aero bars at all times ;). If your regular bike is not comfortable with your wrist post-surgery, consider the wild world of recumbent and semi-recumbent bikes, if only until you are recovered. Better biking than eating donuts in an easy chair. The winning woman in RAAM this year rode a 'bent.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    If you get a TT bike to ride on a country road, you won't have to grip anything too hard too often.