George of the Jungle
    May 2002

How long will 4 oz. of Pro Link chain lube last?

In other words, how many chain lubes can you expect to get out of one container?

With shipping, I can get one for about $12 from Performance, or three for about $20:

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...TOKEN=62868306

Three is obviously the better deal, unless I lose them before I get around to using them ;-)

CHT
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gotj
    In other words, how many chain lubes can you expect to get out of one container?

With shipping, I can get one for about $12 from Performance, or three for about $20:

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...TOKEN=62868306

Three is obviously the better deal, unless I lose them before I get around to using them ;-)
    It depends on how often you lube, but the 4 oz. bottle lasts a suprisingly long time for me. With 2 bikes, a bottle has lasted a full year and I still have about 20% left (give or take 5%). As you know, you do not need to lube as often as a dry lube.

p.s. I was also considering the 3 pack, but only needed one. Send me a private message if you would like to split the 3 pack and the logistics work (snail mail for me works since I still have some left).
    It's better to burn out, then to fade away....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

save your money...

Prolink is nothing but mineral spirits and "metal friction reducer" (oil). Mix 3-6 parts of mineral spirits to 1 part synthetic oil and you've got about the same thing for a cost of 20 cents per four ounce bottle.

Here's my technique for application:

Apply the mixture heavily, to the lower section of chain between the rear derailleur and the crank. Catch the excess with a paper towel (folded to 8 layers thick) held under the chain. Wipe each section of the chain, before rotating the crank to the next section. When the entire chain has been lubed, spin the cranks several turns, wiping the chain with the wet towel. The wet towel can also be used to clean the cogs and chainrings. Follow up with a dry towel. The whole process takes less than 5 minutes. The lubing should be done long before riding, to allow time for the mineral spirits to evaporate (otherwise it will splatter all over the rear wheel). Lube as often as you want and there will be no buildup. Now that I ride in dusty conditions (Denver) I lube after virtually every ride.
    Last edited by C-40; 05-11-2004 at 05:26 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2001

Nice advice

Thanks for the home remedy. I have one potentially stupid question, though. What the heck are mineral spirits?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dshylko
    Thanks for the home remedy. I have one potentially stupid question, though. What the heck are mineral spirits?
    paint thinner ;)

RoadBikeReview Member

I have seven bikes

Quote Originally Posted by gotj

and a few bottles of the stuff floating around, but I'd say I get about a year out of a bottle, even with that many bikes and riding a couple of them through the winter in all sorts of terrible conditions. This stuff doesn't need to be used very often except during salt and slush season.

I recently bought a quart container (for about $25) at my LBS that I figure is at LEAST a lifetime supply. Easier than messing around with mixing oil and paint thinner and not expensive enough to worry about over time.

-Ray

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2003
    I think the home brew is actually better, chain runs quieter.

Converted Marathon Runner

Ditto the homebrew.......

I actually just took the plunge to the homebrew stuff, and I gotta say, it's awesome.

I did 4 parts Odorless Mineral Spirits to 1 part Mobil 1 Synthetic motor oil, gave it a swirl or two, and put into a saline solution bottle from Target (I bought the solution which was 1.39, and dumped it all out to have the bottle, I couldn't find one anywhere else).

I got a quart of OMS's for like 1.69 or something, and the motor oil was about 4 bucks, and the bottle of saline was 1.39, so the grand total after tax was let's say 8 bucks.

I have enough lube to last me quite some time, and it works great.

I wiped off excess last night before bed, and just for kicks, felt the chain today before work, and it is weird, you can feel it on your fingers, but it almost disolves on your skin. It's slick though at the same time.

And, I just started each one of these paragraphs (except this one) with "I", I'd fail english for sure......

No More Tears
    Mar 2004
    I do the home brew also. The chain feels like ice on ice. I have a few cases of Mobil 1 in my house for my cars and I had some paint thinner also. So for me it is the best and cheapest thing around.

George of the Jungle
    May 2002
    Ok, I'm convinced. I'll try the homebrewed version (after all, I brew my own beer, so I might as well try making my own chain lube, too ;-).

What do others use for an applicator? Is the saline bottle a typical solution?

Converted Marathon Runner
    saline bottle works nicely, or an old chain lube bottle. just be sure to rinse all of the inferior lube out of the bottle before you pour your liquid gold into it.....

AJS
    banned
    What the heck are mineral spirits?
    The souls of dead rocks, of course.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 10kman
    I actually just took the plunge to the homebrew stuff, and I gotta say, it's awesome.

I did 4 parts Odorless Mineral Spirits to 1 part Mobil 1 Synthetic motor oil, gave it a swirl or two, and put into a saline solution bottle from Target (I bought the solution which was 1.39, and dumped it all out to have the bottle, I couldn't find one anywhere else).

I got a quart of OMS's for like 1.69 or something, and the motor oil was about 4 bucks, and the bottle of saline was 1.39, so the grand total after tax was let's say 8 bucks.

I have enough lube to last me quite some time, and it works great.

I wiped off excess last night before bed, and just for kicks, felt the chain today before work, and it is weird, you can feel it on your fingers, but it almost disolves on your skin. It's slick though at the same time.

And, I just started each one of these paragraphs (except this one) with "I", I'd fail english for sure......
    How many miles do you get between application?

bike bike bike bike
    i thought ProLink was a dry lube....?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

ProLink not a dry lube

ProLink is an oil plus some waxy components in a solvent. Contrary to popular belief, it is NOT just oil in mineral spirits. Whether the additional components are worth the additional cost is open to debate, though IMO the cost is so small, it IS worth it. While some would say that ProLink is really expensive compared to the home brew, my point is that for $6 or so, a bottle lasts several thousand miles, and so in reality the cost is low. Home brew is so cheap as to be effectively free, but free compared to very low cost is not really much of a saving.

The trick to ProLink (and the home brew) is that the formulated lube is VERY thin and therefore when applied heavily to the chain, it both flushes out the grit and gunk and penetrates into every surface. Then, you wipe off the excess to leave the outer surfaces of the chain essentially free of lube. The solvent evaportates, leaving a thin, uniform coating of lube over all internal surfaces. It is the ability to remove the outer lube that makes this concept effective at keeping the chain clean - it's not because it is a dry lube.

Assuming we're talking road riding, use the following technique for successful ProLink or homebrew lube (1 part motor oil to 3-4 parts odorless mineral spirits) application and use: 1 - wipe the chain, cogs, pulleys, and chainrings clean with a rag.
    2 - drip on lube while pedaling (forward is better) so that the chain just starts to drip lube. Aim the lube between the side plates and between the bushings and the side plates.
    3 - run through all the gears several times, front and back.
    4 - wipe the chain, cogs, pulleys, and chainrings clean with a rag.
    5 - repeat 2-4 if the chain was really dirty

If you do this every 300 miles or so, you will not get any significant gunky buildup, and you won't have to clean the chain. Also, you'll only need one 4 oz. bottle of ProLink for every 5-10K miles. However, no lube is "perfect." A brite shiny chain that is clean to the touch but is well lubed and gives long mileage is still not possible. IMO, ProLink is the best compromise.

George of the Jungle
    May 2002
    I'll probaby give the homebrew a try, but does anyone out there know of a shop in the Boston area that sells Pro Link? I've tried my three LBS (Harris, Farina's and International), and none of them carries it.

Maybe I'll shoot an email to the mfg.

George of the Jungle
    May 2002
    Follow up: I found a LBS that will order Pro Link for me. So for $6 I'll give it a shot.