Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011

How much have you spent in search of the right handlebar?

After a recent thread on how much the riders spent in search of the right saddle, I figured I would ask the same about the handlebar.

I just did a test ride with a new handlebar I bought and liked it so much and decided to shelf the old one. Then when I opened the storage closet, I realized there are 6 other handlebars collecting dust. If I have to guess the total cost so far, it's somewhere around $400.

So, how much have you spent in search of the right handlebar? After all, it is one of 3 contact points thus an important component when it comes to tangible comfort.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've gone from Cinelli model 66 to the Cinelli 64 as I'm not as flexible as I once was. But I put a set of Maes bars on the bike that I ride the most and those are my new favorite.
    Too old to ride plastic

WA outdoor enthusiast
    Mar 2002
    I have moved to 'short 'n shallow'. Round Al. Not too anatomic on the bend. Narrow. Preferably.

But I haven't tried the aero or bladed carbon hbars. Don't know why not, as the feel of my carbon Campy levers is so sleek.

edit: since most of my vintage bikes have Cinelli stems = Campione d' Mundo over the Giros is my preference in that market.
    Last edited by SantaCruz; 03-12-2017 at 08:51 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SantaCruz View Post
    I have moved to 'short 'n shallow'. Round Al. Not too anatomic on the bend. Narrow. Preferably.

But I haven't tried the aero or bladed carbon hbars. Don't know why not, as the feel of my carbon Campy levers is so sleek.

edit: since most of my vintage bikes have Cinelli stems = Campione d' Mundo over the Giros is my preference in that market.
    Question, Why deep bars on the vintage bikes while moving to short and shallow on the rest?
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    shallow would look anachronistic on a vintage bike.

As for me, I am looking for something long-n-shallow. Would like more reach to the levers, and considering some randonneur bars .. but the drop is too much of the ones I have seen.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    shallow would look anachronistic on a vintage bike.

As for me, I am looking for something long-n-shallow. Would like more reach to the levers, and considering some randonneur bars .. but the drop is too much of the ones I have seen.
    Sorry but that is just perception, especially considering that they both existed in the same time frame. Besides, it is more about comfort than fashion. Like I said earlier once upon a time I could ride the drops of the 66's, no problem, but as I aged I found it more difficult to get into the drops. Once I swapped out to the 64's I was once again able to ride the drops comfortably.

But that's just me.

If you're looking for a bar with more reach, check out the Maes bend bars, they're nice and long. They have them at Grand Cru Course Handlebar- Classic Round Bend - Handlebars - Components for $60, $29 for Grand Cru Course Handlebar, Noir - Handlebars - Components.
    Or https://www.compasscycle.com/shop/co...54-handlebars/ has them for $115-125. Compass also has them in 31.8 to fit modern stems.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    How much have I spent? Approximately $0. I had the stock bars on my first bike, then I sold it and built up a new ride from the frame up. I happened to find a used set of EC90's in a box at my LBS and liberated them for my own use (I asked, I did not steal). That was couple of bikes ago and I just keep swapping them over.
    I would guess I'm around 45,000 miles on those bars.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Sorry but that is just perception, especially considering that they both existed in the same time frame. Besides, it is more about comfort than fashion. Like I said earlier once upon a time I could ride the drops of the 66's, no problem, but as I aged I found it more difficult to get into the drops. Once I swapped out to the 64's I was once again able to ride the drops comfortably.

But that's just me.

If you're looking for a bar with more reach, check out the Maes bend bars, they're nice and long. They have them at Grand Cru Course Handlebar- Classic Round Bend - Handlebars - Components for $60, $29 for Grand Cru Course Handlebar, Noir - Handlebars - Components.
    Or https://www.compasscycle.com/shop/co...54-handlebars/ has them for $115-125. Compass also has them in 31.8 to fit modern stems.
    Wow, nice bars! They're as deep as the Cinelli 66, nice and squared off for the hands, more extended in the drops, so you got more room to move around on them in any position. Velo Orange comes through again!

I'm still on Cinelli 66, both bikes. Always liked the range of positioning they offer.

Yeah, ya gotta stay flexible on them. Get that yoga going, Velodog!

Had to replace them a few times after bending them narrower in accidents, about $35. Now they're NOS around $100 on ebay.
    Last edited by Fredrico; 03-12-2017 at 08:23 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I rode whatever was stock until a few years ago when I had to replace a pair due to a crash and after researching extensively decided on the FSA K-Wing.

The are too expensive in a sense, but I fell in love with the ergo-dynamics of them.

It's the only bar I'll ever ride if I can help it... I've got them on both my primary and backup rides, and a pair of EC90's on the indoor trainer frame.
    Discover The Source for Patent Technology Muscle, Fitness and Sports Supplements.

Best Pricing on serious cyclist favorites like 'SportLegs', 'Kre-Alkalyn' and 'Burn It Up'.

https://www.BodyBuildingSupplements.com

Since 1993, Your Success is our success.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by askmass View Post
    I fell in love with the ergo-dynamics of them.
    Not to be confused with ergonomics?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    Not to be confused with ergonomics?
    Both, Kerry! Ergonomics plus aerodynamics. New word. You heard it here first.

WA outdoor enthusiast
    Mar 2002
    Question, Why deep bars on the vintage bikes while moving to short and shallow on the rest?
    I wouldn't call Cinelli bars of the 'deep drop' variety, altho certainly more than bars on my more modern bikes.

The vintage bikes are generally used for more 'casual' rides. If the ride has lots of hills, mts, or faster riders i opt for brifters & more gears for optimal cadence. I can still hammer on the vintage but when out solo or on less challenging terrain.

I should also add that with my 59/60cm frames the headtubes are sufficiently long to permit easy use of the drops, even with the quill stem at or near max insertion.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SantaCruz View Post
    I wouldn't call Cinelli bars of the 'deep drop' variety, altho certainly more than bars on my more modern bikes.

The vintage bikes are generally used for more 'casual' rides. If the ride has lots of hills, mts, or faster riders i opt for brifters & more gears for optimal cadence. I can still hammer on the vintage but when out solo or on less challenging terrain.

I should also add that with my 59/60cm frames the headtubes are sufficiently long to permit easy use of the drops, even with the quill stem at or near max insertion.
    When I asked I suspected that the vintage bikes were taller, and it seems that you confirmed that.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member

Yeah I know bout those bars. but don;t like the deep drop with them. I think I have slightly more saddle-to-tops drop than I had as a young un, but can't abide being in the drops much, in middle age. So deep drops are a no go for sure

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    Yeah I know bout those bars. but don;t like the deep drop with them. I think I have slightly more saddle-to-tops drop than I had as a young un, but can't abide being in the drops much, in middle age. So deep drops are a no go for sure
    I know that it's considered sacrilege by many, but have you considered raising your bars? As I mentioned in an earlier post, I went from the 66's to the 64's on a couple of my bikes. I raised the bars a bit also, which enabled me to utilize the drops again.

The bike which I have the Maes bars on is a couple of centimeters taller than the others, allowing me to freely use the drops. I really think that it was worth it for me to run the bars higher for the freedom to use more of the bars, and that in conjunction with the added length of the Maes allows me 5 or 6 distinct positions on the bars, 7 if I was to use the tops.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    Both, Kerry! Ergonomics plus aerodynamics. New word. You heard it here first.
    I guess so, thanks to this crap voice to text feature on the phone.

That said, the ergonomics of the Kwing suits me perfectly.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I guess so, thanks to this crap voice to text feature on the phone.

That said, the ergonomics of the Kwing suits me perfectly.
    That's pretty funny! The sounds "ergo" or "aero" are really close!

Those K wings could work nicely on a carbon frame. They look real pretty.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I know that it's considered sacrilege by many, but have you considered raising your bars? As I mentioned in an earlier post, I went from the 66's to the 64's on a couple of my bikes. I raised the bars a bit also, which enabled me to utilize the drops again.

The bike which I have the Maes bars on is a couple of centimeters taller than the others, allowing me to freely use the drops. I really think that it was worth it for me to run the bars higher for the freedom to use more of the bars, and that in conjunction with the added length of the Maes allows me 5 or 6 distinct positions on the bars, 7 if I was to use the tops.
    I have tried flipping my 6 degree stem up, but then it makes the bike feel like a goofy recreational bike, with odd handling and not good ergonomics for climbing.

no I like my tops where they are, and am on the drops on tough descents and the occasional headwind, but that might be less than 5% of the time or less.

Reason I say I am looking for longer reach (and short drop) bars is cause I am tempted to try out that new suspension stem which only comes in max 120mm, and I need 140mm to feel right. So with the hoods out further using those special randonneur bars it might be OK for me.

a real member's member
    How much have you spent in search of the right handlebar?

two bikes worth.

i got lucky the second bike had cinelli 64-38 bars. all four keepers have those now. two of them have the old crest logo on the sleeve. none have their original anodization, unfortunately.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

Bianchi-Campagnolo
    When I restarted cycling some seven years ago I tried the 3T Ergosum (cheapest version) which was too long and deep, and Ergonova (most expensive version) which was too short in the drops. Then I tried the Deda RHM-bend Zero100 which I thought was perfect for a while. Then I decided to try FSA Compact, and bought the expensive K-Force version. Perfect in a different way, but I crashed it and brought out the Deda RHM again. My mind was made up and I bought another FSA Compact, but a cheaper single butted round top Al version. I love it with double bar tape.

How much is that?
    They do anything just to win a salami in ridiculous races. I take my gear out of the car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of those lives shocks me. It was the illest of times, it was the dopest of times. And we looked damn good. Actually the autobus broke down somewhere on the Mortirolo.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kbwh View Post
    How much is that?
    Likely more than what I spent. Makes me feel little better.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    I usually build a bike from frame up and I cannot say I have ever replaced a set of bars after the initial purchase. I have Ritchie compact aluminum bars at the moment and they are 4 years old the same as my Lighthouse Sequoia bike. I am not likely to purchase a new set of bars unless they are damaged somehow.

RoadBikeReview Member
    That's pretty funny! The sounds "ergo" or "aero" are really close!

Those K wings could work nicely on a carbon frame. They look real pretty.
    They look like sh*t unwrapped if you ask me, way too gaudy.

The auto-correct I have is utter crap, and the problem is you can't turn it off so I'm stuck with it when travelling.

It does really frustrating things like, I'll go to text my business associate named Zak and it repeatedly "corrects" it to Oak, over and over until it will finally accept it on the forth manual entry.

~sigh~
    Discover The Source for Patent Technology Muscle, Fitness and Sports Supplements.

Best Pricing on serious cyclist favorites like 'SportLegs', 'Kre-Alkalyn' and 'Burn It Up'.

RoadBikeReview Member
    They look like sh*t unwrapped if you ask me, way too gaudy.

The auto-correct I have is utter crap, and the problem is you can't turn it off so I'm stuck with it when travelling.

It does really frustrating things like, I'll go to text my business associate named Zak and it repeatedly "corrects" it to Oak, over and over until it will finally accept it on the forth manual entry.

~sigh~
    Well, those k bars would go with the right carbon frame and wheels, aesthetically. They might be more comfortable, too, being slightly flatter on the tops.

Yeah, hate those automatic spell correctors. Much prefer the red line under the word in question. Then you can ignore it!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Well, those k bars would go with the right carbon frame and wheels, aesthetically. They might be more comfortable, too, being slightly flatter on the tops.
    The flat tops are great for climbing, and the dropped lower flat section at the hoods is what really makes them such a standout to me.

I like a non flashy, stealth type look for the bike and tape the tops as far in as feasible. How much have you spent in search of the right handlebar?-wilierzero7.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast