Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Kind of useless information here but because the OP mentioned Zwift over the winter I'll throw it out there:

I'm fairly light and stand quite a bit. Sometimes on long rides for (I'm guessing) as long as 3/10th of a mile just to mix it up and that doesn't seem to wear me out as compared to sitting and spinning the same distance and speed.

However, on the trainer about 15 seconds is all I can take before getting a strong urge to sit and if I go longer than that I noticed I need recovery time to get back to where I was power wise before standing.

I have no idea why I'd react differently on the trainer as compared to road. Part of it might be mental because I hate the trainer but I'm pretty sure there is a real physical difference too.

I love to climb!
    Quote Originally Posted by Finx View Post
    Here is a zwiftinsider article that explains this

https://zwiftinsider.com/stand-up/

Whether your avatar is standing or not has nothing to do with anything except the details listed in that article.
    Yes, pretty much exactly what I said.
    Stop in at Element Sports. www.elementsport.com
    Get Out! Have Fun!

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    This is essentially it. Lighter weight means it is easier to be standing though it obviously is individual as well. Everyone should obviously have the ability to do this, but lightwieght folks might be standing a fair bit on a climb whereas heavy folks would probably only benefit from standing to either stretch the body or power over a short steep section.
    Agreed, of course. Especially on stretching the body over long climbs. For racing, heavier riders are better off not attacking the super steeps by standing, UNLESS it is at the end of a climb. Let the flyweights go, limit distance, claw it back when things level out.

Even heavier riders can improve through focusing on technique. The phrase "en danseuse" comes to mind. A smooth spin while standing, basically, for those who have not heard it before. I've tried to be that smooth, and managed it for entire SECONDS at a time. It feels great, but there's no way I am ever going to do anything but survive climbs, so I never took my attempts seriously.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    It's a video game. There's no method for determining that someone is standing. It's just a guess. You can't compare anything between yourself and others on zwift.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Just do what works best for you.
    ^This.^

I am 5'10" and around 180lbs. I find that I very rarely climb out of the saddle as I get exhausted quite easily that way and then have nothing left for the rest of the climb. If it's at the very end of a climb for a quick burst, I may try it. Otherwise, a steady seated spin works best for me.

Again, as Jay said, just do what works best for you.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcg333 View Post
    Should I be training more out of the saddle? Would that work more leg muscles than just my quads?
    Since you're already seeing a PT, why not ask them and get some informed advice, rather than seeking advice from random people on the internet?

Not that your post is uninteresting, and information about your experience could be valuable to other cyclists. But the main point of your post is to ask whether or not increasing out-of-the-saddle riding will help to address your physical issues, and I think asking a group of cyclists on the internet is not likely to be an effective way of getting good advice regarding that question.

-----------

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006
    Standing up times for me:
    1) when there are short sections with grade > 10% (often happens at turns on switchbacks)
    2) whenever there is a section with grade > 20% (without standing and leaning over the handlebars, it feels like my bike is going to do an unintentional wheelie backflip)
    3) long climbs ( > 2-3 miles where I have been seated for a long while and feel a need to stretch)
    4) close to the top (looking up when there is a visible "crest" and the road appears to "stop" after a certain point and you only see horizon & no more trees. Looks can be deceiving though and the crest might only be temporary.)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finx View Post
    Here is a zwiftinsider article that explains this

https://zwiftinsider.com/stand-up/

Whether your avatar is standing or not has nothing to do with anything except the details listed in that article.
    Sprinting out of the saddle: 460+ watts
    Climbing out of the saddle:
    below 70RPM on inclines over 3%

Why Does Everyone Else Stand on Climbs While I Remain Seated?

You may have noticed when you hit a climb, every rider nearby stands up, while you probably stay seated, at least at the beginning of the climb. While you might think everyone is standing because they immediately dropped below 70RPM on the incline, this is not the case.
    Rather, Zwift automatically shows everyone else standing, regardless of their cadence. Every rider you see who is on a 3% or greater incline will be standing, regardless of their cadence. Cadence only affects the standing or sitting of your avatar.

That article covers it pretty well. One other thing that can factor into standing in zwift is if you are running a cadence sensor or not. On occasions where for whatever reason my cadence sensor did not want to work and I was riding with no cadence data my avatar stood for climbs (defaulting to what it does for other riders).

As far as actually standing while riding the trainer, I generally avoid it other than if I really need a quick stretch on rides over an hour. Standing on the trainer just isn't the same as on the road.

Out on the road standing is for stretching or short punchy hills, otherwise I'll generally be seated.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12