• 03-27-2004
    dgangi
    How much is this Schwinn Paramount worth?
    My friend wants to sell his road bike and he asked me how much it is worth. I don't know very much about the used road bike market so I was hoping somebody could give us a clue...

    1998 or 1999 Schwinn Paramount - Red, steel w/lugs
    Ultegra grouppo (cranks, brakes, shifters, derailleurs)
    Mavic Open Pro wheels
    Scott Liteflite handlebars
    Continental Ultra 2000 tires
    Unknown brand of seat, post, stem, and pedals (probably average stuff)

    The bike was used for about 2 seasons before my friend bought the frame from a friend. I guess his friend took the parts off the frame and put them on another bike. My friend then bought an Ultegra grouppo and had it professionaly installed. After 10 miles on the bike, he decided that the bike was not for him. He is currently in the market for more of a "comfort" bike.

    What do you guys think this bike is worth? I am guessing $700-$800, but I could be way off.

    Thx...Doug
  • 03-28-2004
    dgangi
    ???
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dgangi
    My friend wants to sell his road bike and he asked me how much it is worth. I don't know very much about the used road bike market so I was hoping somebody could give us a clue...

    1998 or 1999 Schwinn Paramount - Red, steel w/lugs
    Ultegra grouppo (cranks, brakes, shifters, derailleurs)
    Mavic Open Pro wheels
    Scott Liteflite handlebars
    Continental Ultra 2000 tires
    Unknown brand of seat, post, stem, and pedals (probably average stuff)

    The bike was used for about 2 seasons before my friend bought the frame from a friend. I guess his friend took the parts off the frame and put them on another bike. My friend then bought an Ultegra grouppo and had it professionaly installed. After 10 miles on the bike, he decided that the bike was not for him. He is currently in the market for more of a "comfort" bike.

    What do you guys think this bike is worth? I am guessing $700-$800, but I could be way off.

    Thx...Doug

    ???

    72 people have viewed this thread and NOBODY knows how much this bike is worth? C'mon - somebody has to know something.

    Thx...Doug
  • 03-28-2004
    peter1
    Put it on eBay...
    ...with no reserve. Then you'll know for sure what it's worth.

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dgangi
    ???

    72 people have viewed this thread and NOBODY knows how much this bike is worth? C'mon - somebody has to know something.

    Thx...Doug

  • 03-28-2004
    shawndoggy
    what size is it?

    condition? Does it look new?

    I'd say 500-1000 (500 being what I'd offer and $1000 being what the right chump will pay on ebay), assuming it's in beautiful shape.
  • 03-28-2004
    Thorn Bait
    Nothing.
    To me, nothing because I wouldn't buy it. Ultimately it is worth whatever people are willing to pay.
  • 03-28-2004
    Domestique
    Seems about right to me!
    I bought a similar bike to the Paramount last summer (used). It is a 1998 Peleton which has the same Reynolds 853 frameset that yours has I believe. It only has a 105 groupo and came with a mavic cxp 21 wheelset. It was in very good condition and the price was $1000 Canadian (about $700 USD) before I upgraded the wheelset.So, I'd say that $700 or 800 is a pretty good deal if the bike is in good condition. The Reynolds 853 frameset is great, not the lightest but makes for a very smooth ride, even without a carbon fork. Hope this helps.

    Mark
  • 03-28-2004
    dgangi
    Condition
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by shawndoggy
    what size is it?

    condition? Does it look new?

    I'd say 500-1000 (500 being what I'd offer and $1000 being what the right chump will pay on ebay), assuming it's in beautiful shape.

    The frame is in good condition. There are some small chips in the paint from 2 seasons of use, but overall it looks good.

    The grouppo is Ultegra. All parts are in brand new condition. My friend bought the frame 2-yrs used and then spent a bunch of money on the Ultegra parts. A local bike shop installed them for him. He put only 10 miles on the bike since then.

    The size is a 56cm C-T of the seat tube.

    And he's not going to sell the bike on eBay. He doesn't want to go through the headache of shipping the bike and dealing with somebody long distance. He wants to put it up for sale in the local classifieds.

    Thx...Doug
  • 03-28-2004
    dgangi
    Don't want to sell on eBay
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by peter1
    ...with no reserve. Then you'll know for sure what it's worth.

    Unlike many others, my friend doesn't see eBay as a good way to sell the bike. He'd rather not deal with the hassles of shipping and dealing with somebody long-distance. He wants to put the bike for sale in the local classifieds, and that's why I'm asking what a fair price for the bike is.

    Thx...Doug
  • 03-29-2004
    shawndoggy
    If not sold on e-bay, the price drops dramatically. E-bay gets you to millions of potential buyers, the newspaper to hundreds of thousands at best. Selling through the paper generally costs more (exclusive of shipping) than an e-bay add too. Really, lots of people put in their e-bay adds that the buyer has to pay for professional packing by a shop AND shipping (though I would tend to avoid those auctions). All your friend would have to do in that case is take it to a shop and say "ship this bike to this guy," end of hassle. Can't see how arranging for "viewings" with local buyers is any less of a hassle.

    My guess: if he gets any takers, it'll be sold in the under $600 range. I could be wrong though... be sure to update us on how a local only sale goes.
  • 03-29-2004
    owmynads
    Just due to the age of the bike, the brand name- good condition or no, I wouldn't pay more than $400 for it. I've got a Schwinn Passage I bought on eBay last year for $300 with RSX. While it's been good to me, it *is* five years old. That takes the drawers down on that price significantly.

    Best of luck to your friend in his/her attempt to sell that puppy. To echo the ideas already presented in this thread, I'd definitely try to sell on eBay. My wife and I have sold kayaks on eBay (large item) and had buyers either pick up or pay for shipping. Not only did we get buyers, but after getting 1 1/2 years of use out of 'em, we got MORE than we paid for them initially! We went right out and bought two new boats. With the sale of the old ones, we got an "upgrade" to newer and bigger for $150.

    The point is, eBay is the world's biggest flea market. People are willing to throw cash around like it's nobody's business. As PT Barnum said, "No one ever went broke underestimating the stupidity of the American public." Sad, but eBay is living proof that he was "on the money."

    -OwMyNads
  • 03-29-2004
    633
    I'd pay $500 for it
    That's about what I'd pay for it. You might get that selling it locally, or it might just sit forever. You might get more on eBay, but there's no telling. With a frame that has some paint chips and the Schwinn name not really having much cache these days, and there being a lot of bikes for sale this time of year, you can just never tell. It's common to see full Ultegra brand-new bikes now going for $1000-1200 through eBay or discounters like Cycle Spectrum and Bikesdirect, though you still see Ultegra bikes much higher at LBSes.

    But eBay definitely increases your chances of selling. The local classifieds in my area (DFW) are pretty worthless for selling bikes. Your profile doesn't tell where you're located, but if you really don't want to sell via eBay, you might do better posting flyers in LBSes. Many have a bulletin board where they'll let customers post bikes for sale. If you happen to be local to me, since your friend apparently doesn't want to ship, I might buy it for parts. In fact, if it were my bike and I wanted to sell it, I'd use eBay and sell the parts. It's a lot more hassle, but you might get significantly more money out of it.
  • 03-29-2004
    Bocephus Jones
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by shawndoggy
    what size is it?

    condition? Does it look new?

    I'd say 500-1000 (500 being what I'd offer and $1000 being what the right chump will pay on ebay), assuming it's in beautiful shape.

    Yeah...about right though I'd say $500 at the top end. These are not the old Waterford Paramounts which might raise some more $ being more collectible. The modern Paramounts (before Schwinn/GT sold to Pacific) were OK, but nothing all that special.
  • 03-29-2004
    633
    Oh, one other note
    Sell it soon if you think about parting it out, or selling on eBay. The closer we get to the fall introduction of Ultegra 10-speed, the more prices will slip on Ultegra 9-speed equipment.
  • 03-29-2004
    Bocephus Jones
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Domestique
    I bought a similar bike to the Paramount last summer (used). It is a 1998 Peleton which has the same Reynolds 853 frameset that yours has I believe. It only has a 105 groupo and came with a mavic cxp 21 wheelset. It was in very good condition and the price was $1000 Canadian (about $700 USD) before I upgraded the wheelset.So, I'd say that $700 or 800 is a pretty good deal if the bike is in good condition. The Reynolds 853 frameset is great, not the lightest but makes for a very smooth ride, even without a carbon fork. Hope this helps.

    Mark

    For what its worth--the Paramount frame is a lot nicer frame than the Peloton. Both are 853 and the geometry is similar though.
  • 03-29-2004
    rwbadley
    That is a very nice bike, and in a good size too, if it fits. If the frame is in very sharp condition, and the group and wheelset are like new, this would be a great deal in the 500-600 price point.

    Think of it like this, if you go into a shop to buy equivalent character you may end up paying 1500-2000. That is based on a lower volume lugged 853 steel built up with similar stuff. That Paramount was gorgeous, the very few times I have seen them out on rides they are always very pretty and eye catching.

    If you do have to pay up to 750 for it, and end up offing it on e-bay, it is very unlikely you won't recover every bit of that money and then some.
  • 03-29-2004
    tupperncvc
    Paramount?
    This is a really nice frame. It could very well have been made by Waterford, as they continued to make the Paramounts even after they sold Schwinn off. If not, it was made by another small volume domestic frame shop, using nice tubing and lugs. The frame/fork is easily worth $750, maybe $1000 if it is in reasonably good shape. Sell it on EBay, you'll get collectors (I had a nieghbor with seven Paramounts once).
  • 03-29-2004
    dgangi
    Now I am confused
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by tupperncvc
    This is a really nice frame. It could very well have been made by Waterford, as they continued to make the Paramounts even after they sold Schwinn off. If not, it was made by another small volume domestic frame shop, using nice tubing and lugs. The frame/fork is easily worth $750, maybe $1000 if it is in reasonably good shape. Sell it on EBay, you'll get collectors (I had a nieghbor with seven Paramounts once).

    From what I understand, this particular bike was made by Match in Washington. The Waterford bikes were a predecessor (early 90's).

    Regardless, I thought the fact that this Paramount was made by a boutique frame maker would make it worth something, but others seem to disagree.

    So is this a $1500 bike or a $500 one?

    Thx...Doug
  • 03-29-2004
    633
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dgangi
    From what I understand, this particular bike was made by Match in Washington. The Waterford bikes were a predecessor (early 90's).

    Regardless, I thought the fact that this Paramount was made by a boutique frame maker would make it worth something, but others seem to disagree.

    So is this a $1500 bike or a $500 one?

    Thx...Doug

    Like we've said, it's worth what someone will pay for it. Worth more on eBay, less in your local classifieds. Value is what you can get someone to pay, and is far more variable on things that aren't mass commodities. I just sold two nearly new pairs of pedals - one I thought was a $35-40 pair of pedals went for $45. The other I thought was a $60 pair of pedals (I didn't have cleats for them, but cleats are $17 and the pedals retail new for $130) went for $30 on a relist after no-sale the first time. They both were worth what I could get someone to pay for them.

    If you want to get an idea what people might pay for something, searching completed listings on eBay is a good way to do it. I just did a quick search for you on Paramount. There are a lot of old bikes to weed through, some really collector's items, some not. Not many more recent ones. Here's the closest one I found:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=7298

    It's a 2001 (so two years newer than yours), looks to be in good but not mint condition (so comparable to your friend's), with Mavic Helium wheelset and a mix of Ultegra and DA components. It went for $620 on Saturday. So my guess is your friend has a $500 bicycle. Then again, with great pictures, a great ad pointing out boutique frame and the history of the Paramount line, and the right buyer on the right day, it could be a $700 bike. On the wrong day or with the wrong ad, it could be a $400 bike.